Kahr CW4543

This is a discussion on Kahr CW4543 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am hoping someone can point me at the error of my ways. Let me start out by saying that I'm not STUPID where firearms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW4543

Kahr CW4543

I am hoping someone can point me at the error of my ways. Let me start out by saying that I'm not STUPID where firearms are concerned. I've been carrying them in my line of work (soldier, cop, trainer, security professional, etc) since 1982. I'm a certified armorer for several manufacturers.

That all said, I picked up a Kahr CW4543 on Saturday. The dealer it came to me through has an indoor range available so I took the gun, field stripped it, wiped off all the excess packing oil, made sure the appropriate parts were lubricated, and happily shot through 200 rounds of ammo.

When I got home I disassembled it to clean it (field stripped according to the manual), cleaned it and reassembled it. When I performed the function testing I ran into an issue:

NO magazine in the weapon, no round in the chamber, pull the trigger, gun goes click. Holding the trigger back I cycled the slide, released the trigger and pulled... and got nothing. I have field stripped and reassembled the weapon five times now. I can't find anything that I'm doing wrong but I know next to nothing about Kahrs.

If I cycle the slide WITHOUT holding the trigger back it engages every time. But if I pull and hold the trigger and then cycle the slide it only engages about half the time. Have I done something wrong in reassembly? (I'm thinking I had to have).

Anyone? Bueller?
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

2. Remove Ads

edit: yeah, it should reset that way.
    Sure you're getting the slide all the way back?...them little suckers are tight.
    My PM9, I can feel the "reset" when I rack it back in the way you describe with the trigger pulled, but I'm not sure it's fully reset until at the very end of the slide travel.

But I can't think of anything you could have done to have caused it.
    Unless the slide stop lever/pin is somehow in there wrong.
    But if you can still get pin out to disassemble, then it isn't.
    (I'm assuming that model strips basically same as the PM9)
    edit2: yeah it does, just looked at Kahr site.

- OS

I recently looked at a Kahr. I am not that farmiliar with the gun, but I didnt buy it because the the reason you said.

It was a CW9. I thought it was a dangerous peice myself. Maybe Kahr has a problem?? I couldnt tell if 1 was in the tube, It would stay ready even when empty. Hell with that. I figured that was Kahr

Looking to learn something, can I ask the purpose of holding the trigger back while racking the slide? Is this related to a tactical situation or is it a test of striker functionality?

I don't have a lot of experience with the Kahrs, having owned my PM9 only about a year. It is also my first striker-fired gun. Never tried the method you describe, but like you, if I don't hold the trigger and rack the slide, it works fine every time. Since that's the case, I'm not sure what the issue is.

I have read about the trigger not resetting if one's finger doesn't allow enough forward travel after a shot. Is your problem related?

I assume his test is meant to simulate holding the trigger back after firing, allowing the slide cycle completely before resetting -- which, if you think about it, happens almost all the time anyway, given the slide cycles faster than most people's trigger fingers.

If one were to experience the behavior his test demonstrates in a live fire scenario, your next shot wouldn't fire. Perhaps something in the firing sequence helps with reset, which doesn't happen with a dry fire/manual cycle scenario. I have a CW9 but have never tried that test, I will when I get home. If it were a common occurrence, as popular as the Kahrs are, I think we would have heard it by now. Next time I shoot it, I'll intentionally hold the trigger several times to test for reset.

If you only field stripped (as opposed to detail stripped) it, then I can't imagine how you could have caused that. It field strips to just primary components like a 1911, and nothing I recall seeing in either the manual or the video I watched on their site mentions anything about taking care to reassemble in order to avoid something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    It was a CW9. I thought it was a dangerous peice myself. Maybe Kahr has a problem?? I couldnt tell if 1 was in the tube, It would stay ready even when empty. Hell with that. I figured that was Kahr
    Stay ready when empty? You mean cocked? What pistol doesn't do that? I've never seen a pistol that wouldn't dry fire. BTW, the Kahr manual recommends when unloading their pistols for storage, to dry fire and drop the striker to keep tension off the spring.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Have you tried it with an empty mag inserted? Maybe it has some kind of goofy mage disconnect that isn't activated when first reassembling the pistol, but works for subsequent attempts?

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    Stay ready when empty? You mean cocked? What pistol doesn't do that? I've never seen a pistol that wouldn't dry fire....
    Yeah, I didn't get that either. All semi-auto pistols, even empty, reset the trigger when racked, ready to fire.
    There are many like Kahr, with no other manual or grip safety.
    The rare Glock comes to mind

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Have you tried it with an empty mag inserted? Maybe it has some kind of goofy mage disconnect that isn't activated when first reassembling the pistol, but works for subsequent attempts?

-JT
    No mag disconnect on any Kahr...

- OS

Cthulhu:

I even tried that... and it still doesn't reset right. And just FYI: the slide stop is a major pain to pull down with an empty mag installed. Takes both thumbs and some serious umph.

Will keep all updated. I was out of the office today and missed a call from the Kahr rep. I still feel like it has to be something I've done. I've talked to far too many people who swear by their Kahrs and have been carrying them "for years".

ADDED NOTE: Having just tested it some more I've discovered that it ONLY fails to disengage if I keep HEAVY POSITIVE PRESSURE on the trigger while I cycle the slide. If I release ANY pressure on the trigger and cycle the slide it re-engages every time. Since it's probably near impossible to keep the trigger pressed fully to the rear while the weapon recoils from that .45ACP round firing, I don't imagine this has ever or will ever cause a problem. Am still going to discuss with the Kahr folks, but I think I've discovered my problem - the nut behind the wheel.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by frankborelli View Post
    And just FYI: the slide stop is a major pain to pull down with an empty mag installed. Takes both thumbs and some serious umph.
    I don't know but something might actually be wrong with it -- perhaps the CW45 is different, but my CW9 requires what I would consider only a moderate amount of force to release the slide with an empty mag.

Now racking the slide itself, THAT requires some force. Stiffer than any 1911 I've owned or fired. I know shorter barrels tend to have stiffer springs, but dang that little pistol is brutal to the thumb and forefinger unless you have a half inch of callouses! Which I'm afraid is going to keep my wife from being able to handle it, so I'm probably going to trade it for something more user-friendly for her. Otherwise it's a fine little pistol for the money.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Maybe I've just got weak thumbs... ;)
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle

Frank,
    You don't have "weak thumbs"; with the empty mag in the gun,
    your thumbs are trying to overcome the mag spring pressure
    pushing up on the slide stop.
    regards

Curmudgeon5:

Actually I knew that and was just joking. Now that I know WHY I was causing the weapon to fail the function test I'm quite happy with the weapon. It's comfortable. Light. 6+1 of .45ACP. Slim... What's not to like?
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle

"There are no dumb questions." (anon.)

Don't be hard on yourself. It's not always easy to figure out how a gun gets taken apart / put back together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links