Buy a BUG or save for primary

This is a discussion on Buy a BUG or save for primary within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm TRYING to save up to get a G26....however yesterday while out Christmas shopping I took a break and wandered into a gun store(I know ...

Thread: Buy a BUG or save for primary

I'm TRYING to save up to get a G26....however yesterday while out Christmas shopping I took a break and wandered into a gun store(I know big mistake)I saw a Kel-tec .32 for $175.......Do I get it as aBUG(my CCW is an SP101)or keep saving for the 26?I was real tempting..but I know nothing about Kel-tecs so I didn't jump on it....what do you all think?
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Tony.

Catch 22! . Well I am not a huge fan of the KelTec if honest tho - as BUGs go it is about the smallest. On balance I would stick with your target purchase of the G26 - seeing as you have the SP. I know an SP is perhaps a bit large and heavy to become BUG duty but I'd still put emphasis on your primary - and the 26 would be IMO a good move in that direction.

Oh and - certainly for us now, winter, lots of clothing - the SP could in fact still be carryable as a BUG - just in summer months you may still need to find something smaller and lighter.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd continue to save for the G26. If you consider going the route of Kel-Tec I'd recommend the second generation P3AT, it's more reliabel than the first generation and there's the obvious difference between the .32 and .380 without any real sacrifice in size or weight. My P3AT (1st gen) was a nightmare until it came back from it's last trip to the factory; now it's 100% reliable with ball ammo which is what I carry in it.

Just my two cents...

Gideon

I have often been faced with this same decision. I just cannot bring myself to bet my life on a kel-tec. I know that all they may need is a little fluff and buff and then they should function flawlessly, but I just don't want to risk it. In my opinion you should keep saving.

Count me as one who also doesn't trust the Kel-Tec handguns. Nothing against those here that love them, just my personal preferences. I had one of the sub-2000 folding carbines and it was great....but....I'd keep on saving for the M26. But why the 26? Why not go for the M27 in 40? That's one of my primary carry guns and I compete IDPA with it as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'd keep going for the G26 personally. The only time I do something like that is when I'm confident I can sell what I just bought at a small profit or at no appreciable loss, like that CZ 75B I got my mitts on.

The Glock 26 works every time.

A slightly larger CCW gun that goes off every time is better than a smaller one that PROBABLY will work.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have Limited experiance with kel-techs ( only one p3at) it seemed reliable ( with ball ammo ) but accuracy was kinda out there , between the small grip and horrid trigger i wouldnt trust it beyond about 5 to 7 yrds myself so i would say save for the glock , then save for a kahr pm series ( my pm 9 has less precieved recoil than the p3at, is accurate out past 25yrds , and dammed near as small ) or you could go nutz and save for one of them handcrafted rorwhatchmacallits and get a lesser pistol for more money LOL oO( thatll drag p95 back inn here LOL )

Assistant Administrator
    you could go nutz and save for one of them handcrafted rorwhatchmacallits and get a lesser pistol for more money LOL oO( thatll drag p95 back inn here LOL )
    I refuse to rise to the bait!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Step back and, for a moment, think about your year round concealed carry strategy. The G26 is a fine carry gun. Do you intend to carry it year around (summer, winter, etc.) and is it something that you will/want to carry when you are wearing shorts or other light, summer gear? If you find you want/need something different to carry in the summer then maybe a smaller BUG is something that you want to add to your carry plan. Think it out fully and then make a decision.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Sponsored Links