Talk me out of this gun???

This is a discussion on Talk me out of this gun??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few handguns, all can be carried concealed, but all are full-sized guns. My favorite is my Kimber Gold Match 1911. I LOVE ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of this gun???

I have a few handguns, all can be carried concealed, but all are full-sized guns.

My favorite is my Kimber Gold Match 1911. I LOVE this pistol. Extremely accurate.

HOWEVER, as most people know, when in shorts and a T-shirt, it gets tough to keep it concealed. So......I'm looking at either the Kel-Tec P11 or PF9.

I have done lots of searches on here, but would like some fresh opinions.

Would any of you try to talk me out of one of these pistols if you knew me well??

Thanks, Kev

I would try talk you out of the Kel-Tec for sure, and would recommend the Kimber Ultra Carry or CDP. Maybe the Springfield Microcompact or the Kimber Aegis or Springfield EMP.

Going from a Gold Match to a Kel-Tec is going to leave you extremely disapointed. Just my .02.

If you have shot it and you enjoy it, then go for it, but by all means, do not buy it before you get a chance to shoot one.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Get the Kahr! Easy carry.

Hard to beat the Kimbers...and most people say to stay with the same type gun. It's tough because I like them all. Just some more than others.
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

had the pf9 and the kahr p40 go with the kahr

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I carry and shoot the PF-9 on a regular basis. It has never failed to go bang and never failed to eject. It is definitely not a target gun but for carry and self defense it works just fine.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

If I had $900 laying around the house, I would buy the Kimber Ultra carry, but on a Public school teacher's salary, I just can't afford it. (I know, I know, Some of you will ask me how much my life is worth)

The Kel-Tec will be carried for self defense and nothing else. I would practice enough to be comfortable with it, but this will NOT be a gun to take out just for fun.

Price is an issue.

Rebmik, what is your price range?

One thing to consider is that it is approaching winter, you may have some time to save a little or to find a great deal on a used gun. At the end of Summer may not be the time to rush out and buy a 'Summer' gun.

I think I paid around $650 for my Kimber Ultra Carry II SS and it was brand new. I realize that may still be on the high side, but it isn't quite $900.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

you can get a cw9 kahr for less than $100 more than the pf9 and its a whole lot more gun.

The Kahr PM9 is smaller than the Kel-Tec, and a lot more gun for the money. You can find them for $500 on various forum classifieds. If that's too rich for you, give up a little size and go with the CW9 for $100+ less.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for concealability, and the price consideration you mentioned, I would recommend either the PF9 or P3AT. As for versatility in carry methods, you just can't beat the P3AT. Admittedly, the .380 does pack less wollop than the 9mm, the ease of carry will find you carrying in a lot more cases where you just can't "dress around your gun". As for the PF9 vs P11, again it's a matter of size... the double stack P11 being an old tried and true model is considerably thicker than the slim, flat PF9. I have had all of the above and am now down to just the P3AT for those "anytime carry" needs, but really enjoyed carrying the PF9 IWB.

If you do go with the PF9, be sure to get one fresh off the line so it will have the metal mag catch, upgraded trigger bar and new style hammer block.

surv

Administrator
    If your going from a gold match to a Keltec, your not going to be happy. I'd pick up a PM9 or a J frame in your shoes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If your going from a gold match to a Keltec, your not going to be happy. I'd pick up a PM9 or a J frame in your shoes.

I'm not looking to replace the Kimber, I just want something VERY small to carry when I'm wearing very little.

I want something small and dependable that will protect me if my life is threatened. Period.

For those times that I want something that looks good and shoots great, that's what my Kimber is for.

Administrator
    I understand that what your saying. But it would like being used to driving a new Benz, but buying a 86 Chevette for a daily driver.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There is no reason to talk you out of it. It (The PF9) is a great little gun. I find myself carrying the gun more than any other - and I love my Glocks. Fact is that it carries so well. It is the thinnest and lightest 9mm I could find for the money and 7 +1. You will not find another 9mm in this capacity that will conceal any better. I can carry this in a high ride OWB holster and be just as concealed as if IWB. Plus it will pocket carry fairly well in Khakis & cargos. I wished a EMP or Ultra CDP II carried as well - because I also love them. It will not be a fun range gun. It has good accuracy at 8 - 10 yards. For my $280 NIB PF9 - it was one of the best firearms purchase I have made.

if you like ur kimber, go with another one! that way the learning curve is negligable. i like all my guns to have the same feel. take a look at the various kimber ultras. i have the ultra aegis and love it. VERY easy to conceal
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links