Kahr K40 or Sig P229/239?

This is a discussion on Kahr K40 or Sig P229/239? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a emptiness that will only be filled by a .40 cal. pistol. I've narrowed it down to either a Kahr K40 or prolly ...

Thread: Kahr K40 or Sig P229/239?

I have a emptiness that will only be filled by a .40 cal. pistol. I've narrowed it down to either a Kahr K40 or prolly a Sig P229 Elite. There's also the P239, of course. It'll be more of a target gun, but can't hurt to carry once in awhile, too.
    Any input on the K40 because that's the likely candidate?
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Let me give a kudo for the 229. I have one in 40, and one in 357Sig and both are the aces. Personally I like the 357Sig. The gun itself is one of the most dependable platforms you'll ever shoot, it points well, and carry's well.
    It will also be a nice high cap incase they are suddenly found on a new AWB.

I'd go to the CDNN site and buy a refurb, but I'm cheap.

kahrs are good but not in the same class as the sigs.

Sig all the way. I have a Sig P239 40, and a Sig P220 45, and a Sig Misquito. Love them all.

Sig P229 is excellent choice

For shooting .40 caliber at targets with occasional carry it is hard to beat the Sig P229. I've had one for 8 years in that caliber and it is one of my favorites. The gun handles .40 recoil very well.

For purely carry the other two guns you mentioned are fine, and are smaller and thinner than the P229, so more easily concealed. You can certainly conceal a P229 but you have to work a little harder at it.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have forms for all of the guns you listed. The Kahr and 239 are simular sized but sig is longer and slightly thicker. The 229 are much thicker. If your looking for a target gun but in compact size I would choose one of the two Sigs over the Kahrs.

I would choose my M&P 40 Compact (and I do) as my primary carry gun and I use it to shoot IDPA and steel shoots. It is an easy gun to shoot and carry.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Kahr all the way. Both my K40s have spotless records (and they are both early guns - 1996/1997 models).

MNBurl said:

The Kahr and 239 are simular sized but sig is longer and slightly thicker.
    The size difference between the Kahr K40 and the Sig P239 is nothing short of vast. There is no comparison. The 239 is much closer to a compact Glock size (G19, G23) than it is to the Kahr K series. The K40 is actually shorter (length-wise) than a sub-compact Glock, just a bit taller (grip height-wise) and way thinner.

Air,Land&Sea, have you held the two guns side-by-side yet?

If you go to the Sig 229, it gets even more difficult to conceal. I know you did say that "It'll be more of a target gun, but can't hurt to carry once in awhile, too." Even so, my thought is to choose the gun based on its concealment merits first and recoil comfort second. Unless you are talking about a real painful gun to shoot (which the K40 is not at all, I shoot 200+ rounds at a session), I have found practicing with a small carry gun to be little different in "enjoyability" than a larger gun. I don't know, it just doesn't feel all that harsh to me.

Just for reference, the recoil of the K40 is nowhere near as uncomfortable as firing .38 +P through an S&W 340PD with small grips. The Kahr is much nicer.

I carry the p228 and if you are a decent sized guy with a good holster belt combo and dress for it you can conceal a p229 but the 239 would be the way to go for carry and shoot as far as Sig goes. But I have always had a fascination with the Kahr. So just pick I dont think you will be disappointed with any of them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    I have a emptiness that will only be filled by a .40 cal. pistol. I've narrowed it down to either a Kahr K40 or prolly a Sig P229 Elite. There's also the P239, of course. It'll be more of a target gun, but can't hurt to carry once in awhile, too.
    Any input on the K40 because that's the likely candidate?
    Get both! Seriously, I just bought a P229 SAS Gen 2 and its a nail driver. I also have a Kahr K9 that's almost as accurate as the P229. I can't live without either, but a Stainless P229 Elite is not something I could pass up.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

I love my K40!
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Shot with a buddies 229 this weekend. What a gun, very controlable, very accurate, loved the controls. I also am partial to Kahrs. The steel Kahrs have enough bulk to tame the recoil. The only .40S&W chambered Kahr I've shot was a PM40 and that was downright abusive. Given your requirements I'd go for the 229. Like another poster said it will be harder to hide but that doesn't seem to be the main objective and many people have them for an EDC.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Given those choices ,Sig all the Way!

I have a Kahr K40, excellent gun, accurate, reliable & feels great in the hand.

Sponsored Links