Defensive Carry banner

Kimber CDP II vs. Kimber Crimson Carry

22K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Rusty Bouquett 
#1 ·
What are the main differences between these two pistols? I know one comes with a LG and the other does not, but besides that what else?

#4 ·
As for the Crimson

Model: Pro Crimson Carry II™ .45 ACP New
Caliber: .45 ACP
Features: Custom features standard; extended thumb safety, high ride beavertail grip safety, beveled magazine well and slightly extended magazine release and slide release.
Match grade barrel is machined from a single piece of solid steel for accuracy and long life.
Kimber aluminum frames have been tested to over 20,000 rounds without evidence of meaningful wear.

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 28
Length (inches): 7.7
Magazine capacity: 7
Recoil spring (pounds): 22.0
Full length guide rod

Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Satin silver
Width (inches): 1.28

Slide: Material: Steel
Finish: Matte black

Barrel: Length (inches): 4
Steel, match grade
Twist rate (left hand): 16

Sights: Fixed low profile
Radius (inches): 5.7

Grips: Rosewood
Double diamond
Crimson trace lasergrips

Trigger: Aluminum Match Grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

Suggested
Retail Price: $ 1046.00 Pro Crimson Carry II™ .45 ACP

and for the CDP

Model: Pro CDP II™ .45 ACP
Caliber: .45 ACP
Features: Entirely built in the Custom Shop for enhanced concealed carry.
Carry melt treatment rounds and blends edges to avoid snagging on clothing or holsters.
Blackened aluminum frame with 30 lines-per-inch checkering contrasts with the premium aluminum trigger, stainless steel slide and satin ambidextrous thumb safety.
Hand-checkered, double-diamond rosewood grips and low profile Tritium night sights finish these elegant carry pistols.

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.25
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 28
Length (inches): 7.7
Magazine capacity: 7
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Carry melt
Recoil spring (pounds): 22.0
Full length guide rod

Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Matte black
KimPro II™ frame finish
Width (inches): 1.28
Frontstrap checkering
Checkering under trigger guard

Slide: Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Satin silver

Barrel: Length (inches): 4
Steel, match grade
Twist rate (left hand): 16

Sights: Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sight, fixed
Radius (inches): 5.7

Grips: Rosewood
Double diamond

Trigger: Premium Aluminum Match Grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

Suggested
Retail Price: $1285.00 Pro CDP II™ .45 ACP

#5 ·
The main difference between the 2 guns is that the CDP is built in Kimber's custom shop, which mean, its friendlier for concealed carry. They have beveled the edges and made them smooth so your cover garments are not as suceptable to catch on the gun. The CDP has an ambi safety, which I personally dont like. Both guns will shoot and perform the same with the same weight and mag capacity.

Whichever you choose, if this is a primary carry gun, make sure you get the night sights as the primary sights. You can always add CT grips for about $200.

#6 ·
CDP vs. Crimson Carry

OK, so I have my mind set on the CDP and adding the Crimson grips and modification to the right side safety. All this will cost about $1600.00 it it worth that for the CDP vs. th $1000.00 that the crimson carry costs? it appears that the real difference between them is the rounded edges, night sights, and that it came from the custom shop. This will become my primary carry weapon so the $1600 to stake my life on isn't the issue it's which is the better gun..

Suggestion / recomendations between the two?

#7 ·
Richard, by the sound of your posts, you can afford/are prepared to spend the $1,600. If that's the case, I would highly recommend you get the one that really grabs your attention. The guns sound very similar but this is a gun you're likely to have forever so if you're blessed enough to be able to, get the one that you simply like the best.

They're both really great weapons.

#8 ·
FWIW ... I cant see spending $600 more for basically the same gun, but thats just me. I would spend the extra money on ball ammo to break in the pistol with. Kimber recommends altleast 400 rounds of 230g of ball ammo to break-in the gun but you will want to be absolutely sure that the gun is 100% reliable before you depend your life on it and carry it everyday. I think you'll be happy with either one.

>>---->

#9 ·
Vote for CDP

I've had a Kimber Pro CDP for about 4 years, and had not heard of the Crimson Carry until now. In reading the features of the Crimson Carry, I would personally go with the CDP because:

1. I'm not sold on laser sights
2 The CDP has night sights, which can be useful
3. I like the "melt job" on the CDP slide
4. I like the front strap checkering on the CDP

I modified my CDP slightly by installing a left side only thumb safety, Wilson 8 round mags, thin grip panels and a steel checkered mainspring housing to replace the stock plastic. It has functioned perfectly for me, and conceals easily because of its thin profile.

#10 ·
For the money you could save, I'd get the CDP...I have two of them, the Ultra and the Compact. You really are spending a lot more than necessary for the other choice...use the extra $$ for ammo.

#11 ·
I'd say save the cash now and break in the gun like they're saying. Then if you want later down the road add the crimson carry laser. I think you'll learn that you like it w/o because it's a freakin Kimber. I'd be carrying the CDP if I could afford it.

#12 ·
I was looking at the same choice when I bought my ultra. I chose the CDP simply because of the checkered front strap & the night sights. If I decided to remove the CT grips from the CT ultra, I would not have the checkered front strap (which I like) I can always add the CT grips, but checkering & sights is a little harder . . . The ambi saftey was a wash, butr the option is still nice . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.