Question For Revolver Fans

This is a discussion on Question For Revolver Fans within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ron What about the S&W 2'' 60 or 640? Do they work any better? I haven't owned either, but looking at specs, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question For Revolver Fans

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    What about the S&W 2'' 60 or 640? Do they work any better?
    I haven't owned either, but looking at specs, both are about same size as Ruger (less than 1/2" shorter), within 2-3 oz. same weight.

- OS

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    If worn IWB a 3" or 4" barrel is no harder to conceal that a 2". In fact it helps keep the grip tighter against your side. The grip is what is dificult to hide. I have no problem concealing a GP100 4" IWB. The GP100 is significantly easier on recoil than the typical snubby and a pleasure to shoot.
    I too often carry a 4" GP100. My torso is somewhat short and an untucked shirt usually covers the gun well when carried OWB. As you have stated, the GP100 is a pleasure to shoot and I find it to be a very comforting thing to have with me.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ron, I believe the 642 is the Ultimate pocket revolver. If you go with a 60/640, I beleive the extra weight/bulk may be a factor. The barrels is longer on any of these compared to the 642 so you're pushing the grip up higher in the pants; a potential issue depending on the depth of your pockets. I can't carry a 642 in jeans because the whole backstrap is visible. Also, I find the 642 to be a bit heavy/bulky in dress pants. dockers w/pleated front are the best. I think the 60, 640 or SP101 will seem heavy and "swing" when you walk quite a bit.

A sweet simple setup would be the 642 for pocket carry and the 640 for range practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Ron, I believe the 642 is the Ultimate pocket revolver. If you go with a 60/640, I beleive the extra weight/bulk may be a factor. The barrels is longer on any of these compared to the 642 so you're pushing the grip up higher in the pants; a potential issue depending on the depth of your pockets. I can't carry a 642 in jeans because the whole backstrap is visible. Also, I find the 642 to be a bit heavy/bulky in dress pants. dockers w/pleated front are the best. I think the 60, 640 or SP101 will seem heavy and "swing" when you walk quite a bit.

A sweet simple setup would be the 642 for pocket carry and the 640 for range practice.
    Gideon,

I agree about the 642. I have carried it with no problem in all kinds of pants and shorts in a Mika. I don't wear jeans, but do wear cargo and docker type and the 642 disappears. About the only time it doesn't work is with very lightweight dress slacks, which I maybe wear two or three times a year.

I think thatI will take your advice and stay with my 642 for carry and get a 640 for range time. Also, maybe try some wadcutters with the 642.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have found that Pachmayr rubber grips take much of the sting out of the recoil in both my 642 and 640 .357.
    You might consider that before you buy another gun.

Regards,
    Jerry

Ron,

I carry a Ruger SP 101 snubbie in a mini-law I pocket holster. It has Trausch stocks (about as big as hogue). Although it isn't a FAST DRAW rig, it comes out easy and smooth every time. I know it's there but it doesn't bother me in any way whatsoever with jeans, cargo's or dockers. With light fabric slacks I would carry the gun IWB with the SAME holster.

BOSCO

I own a S&W 642 Airweight 38S+P. I practice (about 50 rounds every time) with .38 Spl 130 GR. FMJ Winchester rounds. I carry .38 Spl +P 125 GR Gold GDHP. I'm thinking of changing to the 135 GR Gold version for carry.

I have not found it hard practice with. As others have posted, I use my practice rounds and finish up with 5 rounds of the .38 Spl +P.

If I were you, and you are already using lighter rounds for practice, I would buy a heaver (maybe used for a good $), stainless steel version of the J-frame, and use it for practice. I think you would have to move up to a .357 Mag version (but it will shoot the .38 Spl / .38 Spl +P). Then after using th practice gun, finish up with 5 shots out of the lighter gun using your SD round.

Also, you could move up to a larger S&W revolver. That way you get the same "feel."

IMHO, S&W 642 Airweight 38S+P is the best revolver to CC for the $. A good round, and a firearm few would find difficult to carry. For your typical CC SD situation (and ranges involved) it is hard to find a better fit.

Even for home SD, it is a good firearm (those living in the burbs or city).

Just practice with a weaker round and / or buy a heaver (but same feel) S&W revolver.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I have found that Pachmayr rubber grips take much of the sting out of the recoil in both my 642 and 640 .357.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Thanks, Jerry. The problem is that I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips, the Model 405, on my 642 which does also take up some of the recoil, and I would have to give them up to get the Pachmayr rubber grips. I would gladly do it if they made a really big difference, but would not do so unless I could somehow try them out. Maybe, I will look around and see if I can scout up a pair to try.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post

Regards,
    Jerry
    Jerry,

Which model of the Pachmayr grips did you get?

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

.However I have been finding it not much fun to shoot because of the recoil and find that I have not been going to the range to practice as often as I believe I should.
    I picked up my first snub not too long ago.

I too, find it not a comfortable gun to shoot. My usual .38 load is a little hard on the hands. .357 is downright punishing, and I'm not usually very recoil sensitive.

But, I figure that's not it's niche. It's niche is to be there when a bigger gun can't be.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I use the Pachmayr Compac grips on my 642, and 640 .357. I also have a M60 3 inch, and use the Pachmayr Gripper on it. The Gripper grips are flat but a little longer. It would seem that it should be harder to conceal, but it lays very flat against the body, and carrying the M6 with its 3 inch barrel works as well as the shorter barrels. The grips really tame the .357, although at the range I use slightly reduced handloads.

I have not used Hogue grips, but any good soft rubber grips will help.

Overall I carry the 642 with compac grips more than the others due to the light weight.

Best,
    Jerry

I carry a S&W Model 10 2inch barrel 38. Special in a Galco Speedmaster holster. Works well for me.

Heavier S&W

I also have a 642 and agree with the poster that it is great for pocket carry but no fun to shoot because of its light weight.

If you want a snubby revolver that will work well with .357 ammunition and allow you to be accurate out to a significant range, you should consider an all steel S&W revolver like the model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. This gun weighs 32 ounces empty, but has a wonderful trigger and good sights. It conceals easily OWB in a high riding holster because of its short barrel, which barely goes below the belt line. With abbreviated boot grips it does not print on the cover garment.

I have often carried the one shown below, with rubber Hogue Bantam grips and the PWL holster in the photo:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Snubby Revolver

I've had a steel J frame S&W snubby for over 40 years. Picked up some rust over the years due to sweat so had it plated 25 or so years ago. About the same time as the dull silver plating, I bought a new airweight in blue that is identicle in appearence except fior the color. Proved the airweight would shoot and gave it to my wife. When we went to practise we took the steel one for her to shoot.
    Works good that way. I've always had +P in the airweight even though it will probably ruin it. But if we ever have to use it, I don't care if I have to get a new one afterwards.
    The little M-36 is very concealable and I know a S&W will always go bang if they ever did in the past.

But I still prefer a pistol and usually carry a G-19 or a Kahr PW-9
    or in winter a Hi-Power or a .38 Super Colt.

I do recommend that every gun owner should have a full size DA Revolver in 38/357 and a stock of ammo squirreled away and a carbine that uses the same ammo would be nice also.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    Old Guy Still Shooting

I have to agree with the Ruger SP101, I have one and it shoots very well.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links