Question For Revolver Fans

This is a discussion on Question For Revolver Fans within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 642, which I have been carrying for a few years very comfortably in a Mika pocket holster.However I have been finding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question For Revolver Fans

Question For Revolver Fans

I have a S&W 642, which I have been carrying for a few years very comfortably in a Mika pocket holster.However I have been finding it not much fun to shoot because of the recoil and find that I have not been going to the range to practice as often as I believe I should.

So, I have been exploring getting another revolver, and please no responses suggesting a semi-automatic( I already have one) which would have less recoil, and thus which I would shoot more, but which I could also carry comfortably, even if not in my pocket, but IWB.

I have been looking at the S&W Models 60 and 640. The 3"Model 60 looks nice, but I wonder about how it would conceal.

All advice from members who carry and are experienced with revolvers will be much appreciated. I am by no means wed to those Models so all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

You can always practice with light loaded wadcutters in your 642. End the session with 5 of your carry loads and call it a day. It goes without saying that a larger heavier full sized revolver will be a lot easier to shoot and control than a 642 belly gun. Airweights are great to carry, but tough to handle with heavier loads and heavier bullet weights.

Senior Moderator
    I would look at the Ruger SP101 it is heavier and better at soaking up some of the recoil

I carry a Taurus 605 with 38+P's because shooting full power .357's are not fun and it takes longer to get off a second shot.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Either shoot wadcutters, or step up to a 4" 686. 50 rounds of wadcutters or 125+/- gr RNLs should not be much of a "shooters' challenge. If they actually are too "snappy", you need to re-evaluate what you're carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have a S&W 642, which I have been carrying for a few years very comfortably in a Mika pocket holster.However I have been finding it not much fun to shoot because of the recoil and find that I have not been going to the range to practice as often as I believe I should.
    Thanks.
    Many people I meet who are not accustomed to carrying seem to base their buying decisions on how light a gun is . Of course they are easy to carry but as you have discovered, painful to shoot. A happy medium for you might be a Ruger SP101. I personally like a gun to feel like a gun. The snubs I carry include the SP101 and a 2-1/2" S&W 686. Good belts and holsters are the key to comfortable carry with a weighty revolver.

Have you tried switching grips? My 442 was painfull to shoot more than 20-30 at the range. In fact it would draw blood. I put on a set of larger Houge grips and I can now go through a box of ammo without the pain, it's actually pleasant to shoot.

If you want something bigger I would second a SP101, what about the .327 federal magnum? 6 shots, better balistics than a .38 with less recoil than a .357 magnum. I just wish they had a shorter barreled version right now, I would buy one.

Not sure how much you're looking to spend but check out S&Ws sight for the model 60 pro. Gunblast.com did a review on it and it seems like a great weapon and has a full grip. Looks nice as well. But again it's going to cost some coin.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would look at the Ruger SP101 it is heavier and better at soaking up some of the recoil

I carry a Taurus 605 with 38+P's because shooting full power .357's are not fun and it takes longer to get off a second shot.
    +1 on the Ruger.
    I just carried the SP101 the last couple of days. Very comfortable to carry. (Especially compared to my 1911) I was giving it a try, it belongs to a friend. I only fired 38's and 38+p, no .357, but VERY little recoil with the +Ps.

Kev

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    How big are you and what's your build? I ask because it makes a difference. I'm 5'7" and slender. The distance from my back to my front as you look at me from the side is rather short.

If you're slender and not too tall, the 1" difference between a 3" gun and a 2" is noticeable. If you're larger (i.e., wider) and taller then it's not as noticeable.

I have the 642 and a 3" SP101 with Pachmyr Compaq grips. It's totally day and night difference in recoil. Whereas the 642 is very snappy, you can shoot even .38+p's out of the SP101 all day long. but it is a bulkier J frame due to the underlug being full and the grip is larger than your standard S&W j frame boot grip.

I don't have a 640 but I do think it would be more shootable, however, the grip selection will also make a big difference. Pluse if you're going to carry on the belt, then I would rather have the model 60. Most will say you should stay with a DAO and that makes great sense, but for belt carry I do like the option of SA and don't believe the hammer is a liability at all.

So, the 60 or 640 will have less recoil but basically be the same size package, just heavier. Add Pachmy or Houge grips to a 60 or 640 and that's another step in reduced recoil. Then go to a Ruger SP101 in either 2 or 3" and there's another significant step in reduced recoil and then finally, add Pachmy Compaqs or Houge mono-grip to an SP101 and you take another big step. At this point shooting regular .38's is like shooting a very loud .22 mag. Pure fun.

Ultimately, I'd like to end up with
    642 = Pocket
    60 = Belt w/weight of all stainless gun
    SP101 2" DAO only, hammerless
    Sp101 3" w/hammer.

I would fix up the 60 and 2" sp101 with nice grips, bead blast finish, etc. Make them nice and keep them nice. The 642 in the pocket will get wear on it and I'm keeping my 3" SP101 as a "woods & working" gun. In otherwords, I won't worry about it's finish.

Hope these thoughs help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    +1 on the Ruger.
    I just carried the SP101 the last couple of days. Very comfortable to carry. (Especially compared to my 1911) I was giving it a try, it belongs to a friend. I only fired 38's and 38+p, no .357, but VERY little recoil with the +Ps.

Kev
    ++ on Ruger SP101. Carry it about 1/3 of the time.

I carry it IWB and practice with cheapest .357 I can find, carry .357 Golden Saber in it.
    Easier follow up shots with .357 than with airweight with .38 from my limited experience shooting airweight.

- OS

TOF
    If worn IWB a 3" or 4" barrel is no harder to conceal that a 2". In fact it helps keep the grip tighter against your side. The grip is what is dificult to hide. I have no problem concealing a GP100 4" IWB. The GP100 is significantly easier on recoil than the typical snubby and a pleasure to shoot.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    +1 on the Ruger.

Kev
    Does anyone carry a 2" SP101 in pocket? I know that it is heavier then my 642.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Does anyone carry a 2" SP101 in pocket? I know that it is heavier then my 642.

Ron
    I tried it, even bought a Nemesis...fits in cargo pants or not tight jeans okay, but is just a little too thick and heavy for my liking in pocket. Lots of folks say they do, though. 28 oz, loaded with .357.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    How big are you and what's your build? I ask because it makes a difference. I'm 5'7" and slender. The distance from my back to my front as you look at me from the side is rather short.

If you're slender and not too tall, the 1" difference between a 3" gun and a 2" is noticeable. If you're larger (i.e., wider) and taller then it's not as noticeable.

I have the 642 and a 3" SP101 with Pachmyr Compaq grips. It's totally day and night difference in recoil. Whereas the 642 is very snappy, you can shoot even .38+p's out of the SP101 all day long. but it is a bulkier J frame due to the underlug being full and the grip is larger than your standard S&W j frame boot grip.

I don't have a 640 but I do think it would be more shootable, however, the grip selection will also make a big difference. Pluse if you're going to carry on the belt, then I would rather have the model 60. Most will say you should stay with a DAO and that makes great sense, but for belt carry I do like the option of SA and don't believe the hammer is a liability at all.

So, the 60 or 640 will have less recoil but basically be the same size package, just heavier. Add Pachmy or Houge grips to a 60 or 640 and that's another step in reduced recoil. Then go to a Ruger SP101 in either 2 or 3" and there's another significant step in reduced recoil and then finally, add Pachmy Compaqs or Houge mono-grip to an SP101 and you take another big step. At this point shooting regular .38's is like shooting a very loud .22 mag. Pure fun.

Ultimately, I'd like to end up with
    642 = Pocket
    60 = Belt w/weight of all stainless gun
    SP101 2" DAO only, hammerless
    Sp101 3" w/hammer.

I would fix up the 60 and 2" sp101 with nice grips, bead blast finish, etc. Make them nice and keep them nice. The 642 in the pocket will get wear on it and I'm keeping my 3" SP101 as a "woods & working" gun. In otherwords, I won't worry about it's finish.

Hope these thoughs help.
    Thanks, Gideon, that was quite helpful. I am built similar to you. About 5'6'' and on the slender side. The SP101 2' hammerless sounds perfect, if I can carry it reasonably comfortably in my pocket.

I have found that if I don't carry in pocket, I wind up not carrying all of the time because it is, for me, a hassle to cary IWB. the need first to wear my shirt untucked, and then in the hot months in Florida, which is most of the year, having a holster against my skin, or wearing an extra shirt, and having to struggle to get it positioned just right, etc.

With its admitted limitations, I just much prefer pocket carry of a revolver.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    I tried it, even bought a Nemesis...fits in cargo pants or not tight jeans okay, but is just a little too thick and heavy for my liking in pocket. Lots of folks say they do, though. 28 oz, loaded with .357.

- OS
    What about the S&W 2'' 60 or 640? Do they work any better?

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links