Kimber UC2 and Glock 26 Dilemma

This is a discussion on Kimber UC2 and Glock 26 Dilemma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, joined the forum a couple of weeks ago. This is my first posting. Over the weekend I sold my PPK and other stuff for ...

Thread: Kimber UC2 and Glock 26 Dilemma

Kimber UC2 and Glock 26 Dilemma

Hi, joined the forum a couple of weeks ago. This is my first posting.

Over the weekend I sold my PPK and other stuff for a great price and purchased a new beautiful stainless Kimber Ulta Carry 2.

I had a Glock 26 in the past and ended up selling it to one of my friends a couple of years ago. Much like everyone else, I regretted the sale. Sunday I place a bid on a verly lightly used one and ended up winning it on Gunbroker for a crazy low price. It looks brand new.

Here is my dilemma.

I like to carry my gun legally everwhere I can, even in the bathroom. I know from past experience that the Glock is a beast. It can take almost any abuse that you can throw at it. My Glock 19 is 14 years old and has never missed a beat. Hell, I have even burned a ton of ammo through my buddy's Glock 18 (yes, a Glock 18). Very solid guns. I bought my first one in the mid 80's.

I really like the Kimber and have wanted one for years. I have shot my one of my friends years ago and was very impressed at how smooth the gun shot and how accurate that it was. It is a beautiful piece. Don't know that it will hold up to the use that I would put it through.

Do I sell the Kimber to pickup a G36 or a Kahr, get some night sights for the 26 and some ammo, buy a new goldfish and toilet bowl cleaner? I know that I will loose $$$ on the sale. Always seem to do that on Title I guns.

I really like the Kimber, but don't want to put rounds through if I decide to sell it.

What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well I hate to say this but everyone that looks at the Kimber will call it used. Yep you will lose money. I would stick with the one you would trust to go bang every time. Confidence in you firearms is comforting.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    Reborn is right, the Kimber is now used and won't bring any more money because you havent shot it.

There are lots of people here who carry the same model Kimber, its a great gun. I think the problem you are having is more mental or perception than it is reality. Please dont take offense to that, I have plenty of mental hang ups when it comes to my carry guns too.

All that said, if its something you cant get around then the G36 or Kahr would be a nice choice... but you will loose money on the deal, especially now. The used gun cases are stuffed around here (I'm in SW Ohio too) because of the poor economy and people converting their surplus pistols into AR/AK's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Go out and shoot the Kimber...you don't even have to kick yourself too hard when you think about the fact that you almost traded it. There is no reason your Kimber won't stand up to daily wear. Mine does. Every few days I'll take a silicone cloth and do a once over. A cleaning once every week or two, and its never given me any problems.

Just because its not made out of plastic doesn't mean it won't carry well.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Sound advice. I wanted that gun anyway. My wife was planning on getting it for me for Christmas. Good Woman!!!

The Kimber stay's. No fear of the 1911, my Springfield is nearly 20 years old and still pounding the caps. Just need to break her in.

SixTo, I am just north of Kings Island.

Thanks guys.

Keep the Kimber Ultra, I have one for my EDC. I also have the Glock-26 and a Glock-36...the G-36 is my constant companion on my Harley.

You will regret selling Ultra or the G-26, but I might (if I were in your shoes) pick up the Glock-36 and them focus on stocking up on .45 ammo.

Stay armed...keep both guns...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Streaker View Post

SixTo, I am just north of Kings Island.
    I can hit the KI tower with a good sling shot from where I sit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Streaker,

I had the same mental game going to as I am a newbie here and just laid down a grand on a new Kimber Raptor Ultra a month ago and after the first 300 rounds I have been pulling my hair out. I took it back to the gun shop yesterday and the g/smith took it in the back with all my mags and my ammo selection, wouldn't tell me what he did, shot off about 20+ rounds repaired my grips because they had drilled out the hole for the mouting screws to big, brought it back and said (with a big grin on his face) if I have any more issues bring it back and we would go from there but most of all go put another 200 or so rounds thru it. I have already stocked up on a couple of thousand reloads a vairety of JHP's and PD ammo and bought another 500 ball ammo from W/M yesterday just for the Raptor. This is my second Kimber and I really like it even with the minor issues I am having.

Keep it and go put the 20,000 rounds they say you can put thru it!!!!! Hmmm. I am sure that is with reasonable maintenence. Have fun!

I'd keep the Kimber and the G26. Keep buying 45 ammo as well.

The suck part is that I am traveling out of state all week (the exact reason that I bought the Kimber in the first place) and won't be able to run them for at least another week.

The area's that I travel to recognize my Concealed Carry Permit.

Even though I have to leave it in the car while I am at my job site, at least I have my Glock 19 to keep me company at night while I read through this forum.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Luck favors the prepared!
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

Too both to the range yesterday.

Glock 100% reliability. fired over 100 rounds as quick as I could pull the trigger. Tried some of my carry ammo and worked like a charm. Couldn't help but think over $1.00 every time I pulled the trigger, but needed to know that the ammo would run.

Kimber had two fail to feed's in 100 rounds. No problems though, needs the break in period. Was using Remington ball. First FTF was at round 78. Second to last round in magazine, Ed Brown. 2nd FTF was at round 93, Kimber. Failed to load the first round into the chamber. Strong ejection of spent casing's.

Have had similar issues with my other .45's too though. After break in's, no problems.

Gun was extremely accurate. My hand was shaking pretty good from the recoil.

Looking forward to later this week when I can go the next round of break in.
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

Links