Smith PD340 Titanium/Scandium Revolver

This is a discussion on Smith PD340 Titanium/Scandium Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got one about 3 weeks ago. Finally took it to the downstairs range at the P.D. Fired that puppy with Speer Gold Dot 135 grain ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith PD340 Titanium/Scandium Revolver

Got one about 3 weeks ago. Finally took it to the downstairs range at the P.D. Fired that puppy with Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38+P. Quite a bit more recoil than the 642. The thing is that after the third round the trigger got stuck to the rear. Had to play with it and the cylinder to move the trigger back to position and then fired the last two rounds. Maybe it's just me but I had an immediate loss of confidence in that weapon.

It was just out of the box. Since then I cleaned it and lubed it. Have not fired it since.

Has anyone else had similar problems or any problems at all with the 340PD?

My 642 has had several hundred rounds through it with no problems.

Find a local FFL, contact Smith and Wesson. I am sure they will kiss your rear end and do whatever it takes to make it right.

If they don't, let us know about it.

Does it have that lock in it, next to the cylinder release? What you're describing sounds like some things I read over on the S&W forum regarding problems with that lock.....
    Euc's right, just let S&W know and they'll take care of you.

Assistant Administrator
    That sure is a confidence shaker!

Almost without doubt that needs looked at - for peace of mind if nothing else!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yes this 340PD has the internal lock. The revolver was made in September, 2005.

I am going to put some more rounds through it, maybe 50 or 100 and see if it has problems after being cleaned and oiled. If there is any problems I'll send it back to Smith and Wesson.

Think I'll send some .357 through it too to see if the problem is recoil related.

I am aware this thing kicks like hell with .357 so will try not to flinch!

Any more progress on this? I read on one of the forums (here or another gun board) of someone reporting they were getting "jump crimp" while using a Sc and hot .38spl. +P loads if the cases didn't have a heavy crimp. I'll try to track that down that post a little later today and post the info - if the problem isn't related to the internal lock it'd give you another possible cause to look into.
    Jack

We hear that very same story when people bring the 340PD and simiar type Scandium frame in for trade. Hammers stuck to the rear and such. REALLY bites!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Wow, must be more common than I thought. Glad I didn't go lighter than the 642! Still think a 60 or 640 might be in my future though, for magnums I want a steel platform and the J-frame is just too handy to grab on the way out the door.
    Jack

I've had the "beast", my 340SC, for about three years. I've put about 500 rounds through it. Most the ammo has been my lightly loaded .357's. My carry load is Federal Hydra-Shok 130 gr. I've put about 100 rounds of it through it.

I've had no problems at all with the "beast".

John

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Wow, must be more common than I thought. Glad I didn't go lighter than the 642! Still think a 60 or 640 might be in my future though, for magnums I want a steel platform and the J-frame is just too handy to grab on the way out the door.
    Jack
    Don't blow a thing like this out of proportion.

Now, usually, when EVERYONE on the internet trashes a gun, it's a POS or something you're not likely to be happy with. Example, the Sigma 380 or Jennings J22. I've never seen anyone defend either of those guns in any way.

But such consensus is indeed rare. If one blows these kinds of things too far out of proportion, one would believe that no 1911 format pistol can function reliably, that no .40 S&W caliber Glock is safe to use, that all handloads will cause your revolver to explode, etc. etc.

Just because these things have happened and even more than once, doesn't mean any particular gun is no good.

That is one thing I am grateful to the internet for, it does show that even mighty Glock produces some real dogs, and that Kel Tec actually churns out some good ones. Typical of the real world I guess.

Euc your right no Glock 40 is safe ... Where did i leave that nomex suit ..

But you also right if i believed everything i read i wouldnt have bought half the dang guns i own

Not taking it out of proportion at all Euc, just surprised that CLASS3 has seen it a few times as well. The only instance I've heard of jump crimp with .38spl. was the one I referred to - I'd be more apt to say "yeah, it figures" if it had involved hot magnums but with .38spl???

When I first started shopping for J-frames I automatically ruled out the Sc models: Expense and excessive recoil was why, it had nothing to do with reliability. All I'm saying is, I'm glad I bought what I did and maybe avoided that possibility in the process.

Still curious if badge has gotten his 340 figured out yet though.
    Jack

Anything can jump Crimp in super lightframes the Airweights and SC's are just plain worse than say a Sp101

Doesnt mean there a bad gun just make sure crimp is good on ammo you choose to use in it

Yep, my S&@ 296 has "Max 200gr" stamped on the barrel for the very same reason - too heavy a bullet, and the specials uncrimp right on cue.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Update on original post

Took the 340PD to a range today and fired 100 rounds rapid fire through it at gunfight range at a combat silouette target. No problems. Fired .38 +P. Will keep it. I gave it a good cleaning and oiling prior to this second shoot. On the first one I had taken it right out of the box. No problem with the trigger this time. No real bite either, I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds. Did triple taps, two in the chest one in the head the way we trained. None out of the black and they went where I pointed (looked at target over the barrel). Hmmmmm....think it will get some carry time. Sure comfortable to carry.

terry/lasd detective (ret.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links