Baikal 9mm Makarov

Baikal 9mm Makarov

This is a discussion on Baikal 9mm Makarov within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gun auction today with my Dad, and this Russian Baikal Makarov was just calling out my name. I set my limit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baikal 9mm Makarov

Baikal 9mm Makarov

I went to a gun auction today with my Dad, and this Russian Baikal Makarov was just calling out my name. I set my limit to what I'd spend at $200 and when it came up, I outbid another guy and got it for $200.

How did I do? I found a receipt inside the user manual from October, 1993 showing the gun sold new for $150. It looks like it may have been only one previous owner who shot it very little if at all, it's in great shape. I picked up a box of the 9x18 Makarov ammo from my local gunshop (yikes, that stuff is steep! ) and will give it a tryout tomorrow.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Moderator
    You did pretty good.

I have the same pistol but in .380 (in 1996) for $127

I bought a 9x18mm barrel and barrel press from Makarov.com two years ago. I have used them for grips and mags and always have recieved good service.

I now have 2 9x18mm Maks (East German) they are good shooters
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I took a Makarov from an Iraqi officer EPW we captured back in GW1. Excellent condition, looked like it had never been fired, holster looked brand new too. I tried to keep it as a trophy, but the CSM made me give it up. Found out later that HE brought it back and kept it himself! RHIP as they say in the military.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    I took a Makarov from an Iraqi officer EPW we captured back in GW1. Excellent condition, looked like it had never been fired, holster looked brand new too. I tried to keep it as a trophy, but the CSM made me give it up. Found out later that HE brought it back and kept it himself! RHIP as they say in the military.
    LOL, let me guess...that CSM goes around telling everyone that he took the Mak off the Iraqi officer.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You did pretty good.

I have the same pistol but in .380 (in 1996) for $127

I bought a 9x18mm barrel and barrel press from Makarov.com two years ago. I have used them for grips and mags and always have recieved good service.

I now have 2 9x18mm Maks (East German) they are good shooters
    Any info, tips, tricks to know about? I cannot use Wolf or other Russkie ammo at my range; they don't allow any steel or aluminum cased ammo.
    Where can I get a good OWB holster? I'd get one from Nate at UBG, but he doesn't make one for the Makarov, hint, hint...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Any info, tips, tricks to know about? I cannot use Wolf or other Russkie ammo at my range; they don't allow any steel or aluminum cased ammo.
    Where can I get a good OWB holster? I'd get one from Nate at UBG, but he doesn't make one for the Makarov, hint, hint...
    My Mak have eaten every type of ammo I ever feed it including the .380 Mak.

Don Humes Holsters for Colt Mustang's fit My Maks, mines IWB though.

I would suggest replacing the rear sight with the fixed one avalible on Makarov.com and getting some better grips. There are not many tricks except for painting the front sight and going to a range that lets you shot cheap steel cased ammo, 'cause Maks love steel cased ammo.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Maks are tanks and surprisingly accurate.

Never seen one with those target-type rear sights, though....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would suggest replacing the rear sight with the fixed one avalible on Makarov.com and getting some better grips. There are not many tricks except for painting the front sight and going to a range that lets you shot cheap steel cased ammo, 'cause Maks love steel cased ammo.
    Lots of luck with finding the fixed rear sight for the adjustable replacement, I've been looking for months for one. Makarov.com is closing and sold most of its inventory, so parts are going to become a little more scarce.
    The Mak is a great accurate piece, I love mine!!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by para owner View Post
    Lots of luck with finding the fixed rear sight for the adjustable replacement, I've been looking for months for one. Makarov.com is closing and sold most of its inventory, so parts are going to become a little more scarce.
    The Mak is a great accurate piece, I love mine!!
    Well I haven't been shopping for my Maks in awhile

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I think you did well. The Makarov is one of if not the most reliable semi-auto designs ever made. Any holster that fits the PP series pistols or a CZ82/83 will work with the Mak.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Just curious as to why your range prohibits the use of steel and aluminum cased ammo. I have heard of restrictions on bullet material at some ranges but never on casings. Maybe the ROs don't want to be bothered sorting the brass when they sell it for scrap?
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

These are great guns My wife and I both use one for EDC. I have a $150 1984 Bulgarian, wife has $270 East German. So you did pretty good on the price. I am having a spare slide milled out for Novak Tritium sights.
    Jay
    Last edited by jeepnjay; September 25th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Just curious as to why your range prohibits the use of steel and aluminum cased ammo. I have heard of restrictions on bullet material at some ranges but never on casings. Maybe the ROs don't want to be bothered sorting the brass when they sell it for scrap?
    They are likely just too lazy to want to seperate it from the brass cases they sweep up off the floor. More useless rules to make your range experience even less enjoyable.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    I asked, and yes they said it was becoming too much of a hassle to separate the brass and the steel. I guess they never heard of this thing called a magnet.

Field stripped and cleaned/lubed my Makarov today; I really don't think it was ever even fired!

Went to the range and put 50 rounds of American Eagle 9mm Mak FMJ through it at 5 and 7 yards. Amazingly accurate even with the less-than-ideal combat sights. The more I shoot blowback type guns, the more I like them over Browning type! This gun is definitely going into my carry rotation and I'll be looking to get some night sights installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links