Which Sig P226?

Which Sig P226?

This is a discussion on Which Sig P226? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been researching Sigs for my next gun (you know, the perfect carry gun that doesn't exist) and would like some opinions. I also have ...

View Poll Results: Which 9mm Sig P226?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard P226

23 37.10%
  • SCT

4 6.45%
  • Blackwater

9 14.52%
  • Elite

9 14.52%
  • None. Buy a Sig .40

9 14.52%
  • None. Buy a Sig .45

9 14.52%
  • Sigs suck. Buy something else.

2 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sig P226?

VIP Member

Which Sig P226?

I've been researching Sigs for my next gun (you know, the perfect carry gun that doesn't exist) and would like some opinions. I also have some questions.

Some background info: I'm currently leaning 9mm. I own guns in 9mm, .45, and others, and am not keen on adding another caliber (.40), although my preference isn't set in stone. I currently carry a large .45 so concealing a P226 won't be an issue. I'm looking for something with a higher capacity and with which I can get quicker followup shots. I'm not interested in a single stack or a smaller gun. I already have other lower-capacity guns and other smaller guns.

Sights and a light trigger are important to me since both help me shoot better, so I have listed some info on these. I like the DA/SA, no-safety trigger configuration, so I'm not currently interested in the DAK or the SAO. All the options I've listed are DA/SA, but one also has the SRT option. Cost isn't a major consideration. If I want one that costs more, I'll save longer.

Here are four 9mm's I'm considering in order of cost (although as I said that isn't a significant issue, but perhaps a minor factor). Note: all listed benefits and cons are my perceptions only and may not be accurate. Feel free to comment.

1. Standard P226. Can order with SIGLIGHT night sights.
    Benefits: if none of the extras are worthwhile, no sense in paying for them.

2. SCT. TFO red front sight, SIGLITE rear sights.
    Benefits: TFO for my aging eyes, two sight colors, and comes with 4 20-round mags ($92 apiece if bought separately).
    Con: if a 15-round mag won't fit this gun, that's a major con for some carry options.
    + $100 over standard P226 with nightsights

3. Blackwater. Red front and green rear SIGLITE sites.
    Benefits: Two sight colors, SS slide finished black, comes with 5 15-round mags and extra grips. Grips fit a little better than standard, but I'm ranking this as only a minor benefit. I can live with standard grips.
    + $180 over standard P226 with nightsights

4. Elite. SIGLIGHT night sites.
    Benefits: SRT trigger, also comes in SS. Grips fit a little better than standard, but I'm ranking this as only a minor benefit.
    Con(?): Will the beaver tail poke me in the gut if I wear it around 2-2:30, or will a good holster eliminate that?
    Black Elite + $150 over standard P226
    SS Elite + $290 over standard P226

Questions:
    How good are the SIGLITE night sights?
    How would the TFO front sight hold up in a carry gun?
    Will a 15-round mag fit in the SCT?
    How much of a difference does the SRT trigger make?
    How does the black finish hold up?
    What is your opinion of the SS finish?

Any comments?

You may vote more than once in the poll.

To me, the SIGLITE sights are too small--I have them on my P226.

I have TruGlo TFOs on my P229 and will put TFOs on my P239 and P226 (all .40) when I get home. Save your money on the SIGNITE sights and go for the TFOs.

I'm a fan of the .40, but do enjoy shooting 9mm...I think you are good either way. What do you prefer/enjoy shooting better?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    What do you prefer/enjoy shooting better?
    I have only shot a .40 in Glock, and only one mag, so not much to compare. I didn't notice any significant difference in the recoil of the Glock .40 vs. my XD .45, but I just assume I'll generally be able to control a 9mm better than a .40 in other guns.

I'm going to an event this weekend where there will be lots of guns to try. I hope there are some Sigs available.

Thanks for the info on the sights. I was wondering if the SIGSITES were worth the money. They did look small. I prefer large, neon signs on my sights if available.

Lead Moderator
    A standard 226 in 9mm was my first SIG. Be careful SIGs are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Be careful SIGs are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
    +1, you gotta have at least two.

Senior Moderator
    I carry and shoot IDPA with a 226 SCT in 9mm. Great pistol.

A couple notes.

The TFO sight on the front of the SCT is green (unless they've changed it).
    Standard capacity (17 round) magazines fit just fine.

You won't regret any 226 - in my experience the are as reliable as a brick, accurate and easy to shoot.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I also carry a standard P226 (.40) and shoot in USPSA and IDPA and think it is really a great gun. Mine has over 10,000 rounds shot and the only malfunction was a handload without powder.

I have put the TFO sight on my P226 and my Kimber. The 226 has held up great. The Kimber is on it's third replacement for cracking under recoil. The only disadvantage is Kydex holsters will occasionally give fit problems because the sight is higher than stock. (Matrix and Comp Tac)

For looks I like the Equinox better than the Elite but that is an anti beavertail thing for me. The SRT is worth every penny and you will of course get the SRT included with the Elite.

If this was just a carry gun I would get the 229. All the same features and capacities only slightly smaller but carries better.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Lasermax.......replaces the guide rod...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    At least go and shoot a P-220 before you buy... I think it's the best SIG made!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Stock 226. I do a "dot-conversion" on the factory sights, so that its same-same as the XS front, without the new PVC ball. Night sights are not exactly a "pro" with me, and I have my reasons, though some won't agree.

Buy stock, get mags & ammo.

Administrator
    I think your money is better spent on a standard 226, add exactly what you want to it after you have had it for awhile and know exactly what you want.

Its hard to beat a 9mm 226. Its one of the finest combat guns ever made.
    "Just blame Sixto"

rstickle,

You are right about Sigs being like potato chips. I like the P-6 so much and it seemed so lonely added the 229 in 40 S&W

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    rstickle,

You are right about Sigs being like potato chips. I like the P-6 so much and it seemed so lonely added the 229 in 40 S&W
    4 and counting! 226, 239, 229, 220 (in that order), and a 556 to come.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I traded my 226 standard in for the 226 Elite..I love the looks of this gun. It shoots great and I have the 20 round magazine that fits flush too. But I carry my Sig 220 "Carry" with Hogue rubber grips. I am hoping to purchase the nice grips like the Elite has for my 220, but Sig website is always out of stock.

+2 on the can't have just 1 Sig...I keep fondling the 229's every chance I get :)

I love my Blackwater. It's my favorite range gun. With the new MecGar mags, I've got 18 and 1 in the pipe. With three mags, that's 55 rounds.

The Blackwater has the front cocking serrations, which are good for press check.

I had a short reset trigger installed, and replaced the unsatisfactory red front sight with a TFO.

However, I carry a Smith 1911 because it conceals easily.

My next Sig will be a 226 Elite. I already own a 229 elite in .40 and a TT 228.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links