Unique Glock situation

Unique Glock situation

This is a discussion on Unique Glock situation within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, just joined after checking out a whole bunch of threads on G23 vs G27-- I need to decide on one for CC and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique Glock situation

Unique Glock situation

Hey everyone, just joined after checking out a whole bunch of threads on G23 vs G27-- I need to decide on one for CC and am a little concerned that a 23 would be spotted--I'd likely use an IWB holster but want one that's comfortable but not too expensive if possible...

But you checked out this post for the situation. Basically, I will NEVER use Wolf ammo again after one of their .40 rounds literally destroyed my G23C (see attached photos). Glock told me it was likely an 'overcharged round' that was able to completely blow away the top of my barrel, manage to create some ports at the top of the grip due to gas blast, and create quite the gap between grip and slide.

A few things of note--many I have talked to have never heard of this happening in a Glock but have mentioned that Wolf is a lower quality ammo (I used it for target shooting, sure it was nice that it was a bit cheaper). Second, this pistol saved my life. This blow could have easily destroyed a lesser pistol and thus destroying my hands in the process (and possibly part of my head). No damage noted besides a much different recoil from that round and a bit of anxiety about something like that happening again. The range officer and I were unable to find the top of the barrel at the range nor the casing for the round. But was able to see the live round stuck in the magazine also hurt in the incident.

So my unique situation stems from the possibility of choosing another Glock as this one will be replaced by Wolf and I feel that it might be a good idea to consider the subcompact model. Also, I don't think that the gun itself had anything to do with this incident so I certainly have nothing to say against Glock firearms. Thoughts?

Don't use Wolf ammo!!!
    Attached Images

Lead Moderator
    I don't think it was the guns fault either. Glocks are known to blow apart with over pressured rounds, typically more so with .40 S&W due to normal high pressures designed into the round.
    I wonder if the bullet was set back in the casing too far, creating too much pressure? Glad you are o.k. either way, a pistol blowing apart isn't a fun experience (I had a PT Taurus do the same ).
    On another note, any ammo maker can and do screw up with the manufacturing process. It might be worth researching the serial # to see if it is on a recall list.
    Let us know when you find out what Wolf will do for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Holy crap!

That is scary.

As far as the 23 vs 27, I carry a 19(same size as 23), and have no problems concealing it.

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck holster with a Wilderness Instructor belt.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

google "glock kb" and you will see that the 40 cals were known for this, typically with reloaded brass and after shooting LEAD in the barrel.

You can try an aftermarket barrel with more support, or try a caliber that isn't 40... I have a glock in 40 and a couple in 357. Even though the base of the case is the same dimension, the 357 has way more support.

Being biased because I own one, I'd suggest giving the SA XD a try.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have always shied away from Wolf ammo. Cheap isn't necessarily cheaper in the long run.

Hope you get that fixed soon.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I never plan on using Wolf ammo in any of my Glock pistols. Steel case and lacquer sealed? I've had my G22 and G27 for years and no issues using quality new factory brass cased ammunition by the box or bulk. There are some things to stay away from with any stock Glock. I see way too many live Wolf brand cartridges laying on the ground whenever I go to the range that have obviously been chambered and extracted. For the most part, they seem to be .223 Rem.
    Glad to know you're okay. That is a scary experience. I also agree that the damage was done from the ammunition. I seriously doubt that Wolf ammo will do you any good in replacing your pistol. "User accepts full responsibility" or something like that printed right on the box.
    Don't use Wolf ammo!!!
    For the other issue concerning the compact or sub-compact choices, I also conceal a G19 just as well as my G27 IWB.
    Good luck with it all, and Glock on!

Just for my education was it the G23 or the G21 that they had all the probs with KBs. but would never fess up to it?

Get a G26 and leave your worries behind!

If you really want to be different, get a Glock 23 and have the frame cut down to a Glock 27. That way you'd have the advantage of the 23 for the longer barrel/sighting plane and the advantage of the 27 for the smaller butt.

Southwest Shooting Authority -Guns, ammo, firearms training. Farmington, NM

These guys do a pretty good job of it. I'm thinking of getting a Glock 31 and having it cut down to a Glock 32.

Biker

My G23 is my EDC and it 'disappears' in it's MTAC. The 23 is a good gun for carry, but that's just me.

As for the Wolf ammo, I've never used it. I am seeing and hearing more bad thing about them though.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

One of the ranges around here only bans Wolf brand ammo from use on their range. Another bans all steel cased ammo. I use Blazer for practice. It is cheap to shoot and doesn't have the bad reputation that Wolf does as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by chipperi View Post
    Just for my education was it the G23 or the G21 that they had all the probs with KBs. but would never fess up to it?
    And the .40 cal Beretta 92 frames, and IIRC the first Sig .40s, but Dean Speir didn't have a woodie for Beretta or Sig.

Aside from the HK USP (which was designed around the .40 S&W) basically all .40 cal handguns were upscaled 9mm frames, with chambers and ramps cut on the same "upscaled" model.

This has been addressed to varying degrees by the various manufacturers... No amount of chamber throat is going to save your piece from a ++ load.

Senior Moderator
    IIRC, and I think I do, the Sig 229 was designed specifically for the the .40.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Wow, that's a pretty strong response on this subject, thanks for the info. That KB site really looked a whole lot like my gun.

Think I'll stick with the G23 for CC purposes since I already have a crimson trace laser for it--just need to find the right holster I guess.

Thanks again for all the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links