Anyone ever heard of Brolin Arms?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever heard of Brolin Arms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a member of this forum for about a year this is my first new thread startso please bear with me. I purchased ...

Thread: Anyone ever heard of Brolin Arms?

I have been a member of this forum for about a year this is my first new thread startso please bear with me. I purchased a 1911 manufactured by Brolin Arms in Pomona, CA. it appears to be an excellent weapon well made and nice finish. It is a TAC -11 Two Tone with Novack sights. Does anyone know about this manfacturer, good bad or indifferent. As always everyones input will be appreciated.

Let me be the first to say it, Photos please. I have heard that they make good pistols.

I have heard that although they look good, they are not. I would not buy one.
    I think the magazine Gun tests had a test several years ago and the Brolin was included. It flunked their test.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thing about Gun test. Just because they have one bad gun does not mean that all guns by the same maker are bad. They have rated guns as excelent that I have found to be crap when I tried them, on the other hand they fail some that I have found as good. Just like on here some people buy a gun and have nothing but trouble, others buy the same brand and love them. Gun test can be used as a borameter, but they are far from the last word.

Now that you own it, go shoot the stink out of it, take lots of pictures and post a review.

I would trust the opinion of an owner before some gun magazine shill who gets paid by the ad.

Administrator

I think the Brolin Arms pistols were built/assembled on Essex Frames and slides. Don't take that to the bank - I just heard or read that they were.

Essex frames and slides are investment castings rather than being forged. Essex used to be the cheapo frame that a person would buy if they just wanted to "throw together" a "parts gun" for a low priced plinker/shooter.

Essex frames used to be real crumbum "bottom of the line" as far as keeping frames in spec. but, There IS Good News!

That good news is that Essex has really tightened things up in recent years and their frames are nice quality investment castings and they "spec out" real well these days or so I've heard.

They are still the lowest priced frames and slides "out there" -
    Brownell's sells them and Brownell's would not be selling them if they were junk. They are a lower priced alternative to building a High Dollar working gun.

Usually they are not used to build the highest quality pistols but, they will assemble into a decent final shooter.

Like all 1911 pistols....usually what you put into it is what you get out of it.
    Looking at one closed auction of a Brolin on GunBroker - it looks a wee bit on the hodge-podge rough side but, that does not always mean that the gun won't be a decent shooter. Much (in the way of accuracy) depends on the fit of the barrel bushing to the barrel and the barrel and the bushing to the slide.

A lot would depend on the fit and quality of the parts used to put them together.

Cast frames are usually not too problematic as long as all of the holes line up and things are kept tight/close to specs during the manufacturing process.

I'm not super crazy about cast 1911 slides but, if they have been heat treated/stress relieved they seem to work out OK.

Some cast slides (historically) have been known to develop a hairline crack at the location of the ejection port.

SO....it is much more important to change your recoil spring decently often in order to prevent battering due to a weak recoil spring.
    You also might want to consider adding a polymer or nylon shok buff. They are inexpensive and should prolong the useful life of your handgun.

PHOTOS BORROWED FROM CLOSED GUNBROKER AUCTION.

I built a 1911 using an essex slide and frame. I have had no trouble at all with the metallergy. I did have problems with essex when they installed the plunger tube and grip screw bushings. All came loose and I hade to reattach the pluger tube and retap the frame for oversize grip bushings. Next time I order from them, I would recheck all of that.

I use my 1911 for IDPA matches and it works. It is every bit as accurate as several of the Wilson Combat models, but I will admit, it doesnot look as good as them.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I have heard that although they look good, they are not. I would not buy one.
    I think the magazine Gun tests had a test several years ago and the Brolin was included. It flunked their test.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Gun magazines are not going to say much bad about any weapon that they test. They do not want to upset the ones that advertise or my advertise in their magazine. It's all about the advertising dollars.

I apologize for not posting pictures, after a lengthy inquiry my son has borrowed my digital camera. The pictures posted by OKshooter are pretty close to what the gun that I purchased looks like. The main difference is that mine is two tone, has a bull barrel without a bushing, has Pearce rubber grips, and Novack sights. I will add I paid $375.00 which I feel makes it a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    Gun magazines are not going to say much bad about any weapon that they test. They do not want to upset the ones that advertise or my advertise in their magazine. It's all about the advertising dollars.
    Gun test does not accept advertising. They call it like they see it. However, they are not experts, and it is true that I have seen tests that I would not put much stock in.

A best friend used to be a gunsmith. He built a 1911 on an Essex frame, and it does well. He looked at a Brolin and after examining it he thught it was not what he would want. That was probably 10 years ago, and I have no idea how they are today.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Now that you own it, go shoot the stink out of it, take lots of pictures and post a review.
    Good advice !! Have fun.....

The majority of posts were correct as to the poor quality of the Brolin. I tan about 5magazines thru it and had to hand eject all but 3 rounds traded that puppy for a Kahr K-40 with Crimson Trace, I paid some boot but that thing is gone.

I think Brolin pistols rank up there with the Jennings and Bryco cheapo pocket pistols. Yeah....I think the Norinco 1911's for the same price are twice the quality at least.

Brolin Legend Series
    Notes: Brolin Arms originally operated from 1995-99; however, they now have a new web site and appear to have re-incorporated under the name Brolin Industries. Their primary focus was 1911 clones, and though they still produce some pistols, their main focus now appears to be expert modification and acurizing of pistols and shotguns.

The Legend is one of the designs produced by the old Brolin Arms. Also known as the L-45, this is essentially a 1911 clone, with fixed sights, an enlarged ejection port, a funnel-type magazine well for quicker reloads, a throated match barrel, a hand-finished and polished feed ramp, and a skeletonized trigger. Finish was generally matte blue, and grip plates were of wood, though Brolin had a number of customized available at request. Several variants were available: the L-45 Standard (or simply L-45) was a full-sized version using a 5-inch barrel and a standard 1911-type 7-round magazine; the L-45 Compact (or L-45C) used a 4.5-inch barrel and an abbreviated grip with a reduced-size magazine; and the L-45T, which used the shortened barrel and slide of the L-45C on the full-sized frame of the L-45 Standard. (The L-45T was not introduced until 1997, and is therefore relatively rare.

The Patriot series were deluxe versions of the Legend. In addition to the Legend’s features, the Patriots had compensated barrels, extended beavertail grip safeties, a flat-top slide, and adjustable triggers. Finishes could be matte blued like the Legend, but most were produced with satin-nickel finishes on the frame and a blued slide. Another finish available was all-nickel plated.

The P-45 Comp (also known as the P-45 Standard Carry Comp), used a 4-inch barrel. (The barrel length was reduced in order to make it the same length as the L-45 even though a compensator was fitted.) The P-45C Comp (also known as the P-45 Compact Carry Comp) was likewise made to match the dimensions of the L-45 Compact, reducing the barrel length to 3.25 inches. As with the Legend, a P-45T Comp version was also built, with the P-45C Comp’s barrel, slide, and compensator atop the P-45 Comp’s frame.

The last member of the Legend family is the Pro-Series. The Pro-Series, designed for competition, adds features such as a full-length guide rod, a "bump" on the grip safety for more positive engagement, checkering on the frontstrap and backstrap, an ambidextrous thumb safety, and an adjustable target-type rear sight. Two models are available: the Pro-Stock, essentially as described above, and the Pro-Comp, with an integral muzzle compensator. The Pro-Stock uses a 5-inch barrel and the Pro-Comp a 4-inch barrel; both barrels are made to very high standards.

Twilight 2000 Notes: The Legend and Patriot are rare in the Twilight 2000 timeline, with the L-45T, P-45T Comp, and Pro-Series versions being especially rare.
    Brolin Tactical Series

Notes: The Tactical Series was based on the tried-and-true Colt-Browning operation, and also on the Legend series. Produced from 1997-99, the Tactical Series had all of the standard features of the L-45, and in addition used a coned match barrel somewhat heavier than that of the L-45, Novak Low-Profile sights (with night inserts being an option), an improved extractor (called an "Iron Claw" extractor by Brolin), and a slightly-larger magazine capacity. Most members of the Tactical Series are virtually identical except for caliber and magazine capacity.

The "core" pistol of the series was the M-45. The M-45 used double-action and the sights were of the 3-dot type (though they were still Novak Low-Profile sights), with a barrel 5 inches long. Most were finished in matte blue, but a polished blue version was also available. The MS-45 was identical except for a 6-inch barrel. The M-40 is identical to the M-45 except for its chambering; the MC-40 is a compact version with a 3.5-inch barrel atop the full-size Tactical Series frame; and the MB-40 (also known as the Bantam) uses the 3.5-inch barrel on a smaller frame. The M-90 series are essentially identical to the M-40 series, except for their 9mm Parabellum chamberings.

The Tactical 1911 (more commonly known as the TAC-11), is also similar to the M-45 in many ways, but is more highly accurized and fitted, with many more options available. The TAC-11 also uses a strengthened frame, heavier barrel, single-action operation, contoured wrap-around black rubber grips, a full-length sighting rib atop the slide, and many other improved components, leading to the TAC-11 being considerably heavier than the M-45.

Of all of these Brolin pistols (including the Legend Series), the MB-40 and MB-90 are the only "old" Brolin designs now being produced under the re-incorporated Brolin Industries.

Twilight 2000 Notes: In the Twilight 2000 timeline, the Tactical Series are some of the rarest Brolin designs.
    http://www.pmulcahy.com/pistols/us_pistols_b.htm

Sponsored Links