Steyr M9-A1 impressions...

This is a discussion on Steyr M9-A1 impressions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For some strange reason I can't stop thinking I want a Steyr M9-A1 in my personal arsenal. My local dealer does not sell them but ...

Thread: Steyr M9-A1 impressions...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Steyr M9-A1 impressions...

For some strange reason I can't stop thinking I want a Steyr M9-A1 in my personal arsenal. My local dealer does not sell them but there are many on the web I can have shipped to my FFL guy. Does anyone here have the Steyr M9-A1? What are your impressions? Love it? Hate it? Is it larger or smallish? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Since CDNN won't ship to New York is there a way to ship to a Pennsylvania FFL and then sell it to me in NY? I would not want to violate the NY 10 round rule so I would order it in the proper capacity but at $335 for NIB I don't think I want to pass up the opportunity to own one. Please advise as to how to get one of these shipped lawfully to NY. Thank you.

Nope.

You can only (legally) buy handguns in your state of residence.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Too bad you can't have one shipped to you. If you can find one that already resides in NY I'd snap it up. Mine has been totally reliable and very accurate. The jury is still out (for me at least) on the trapezoidal sights but replacements are easy to find. The M9 and M9A1 are about the size of the compact Glocks and the S9 and S9A1 are about the size of the sub-compact Glocks. I think Steyr is getting ready to do a big push over on this side of the pond and prices should go up on the ones already here. Lots of great info at the Steyr Club. Good hunting!

I carry the M40A1. It is the same frame as the 9mm. I find it to be easy to carry and a very reliable gun. The price is a steal. You might check gunbroker.com there are usually several there and they may ship to NY. You might have to get Mags from somewhere else...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Well I have decided to pick up a Steyr. I don't know if I want the .40 or the 9MM but I will decide by Monday.

Although I could not buy through CDDN because they wont ship to NY I found a seller on Gunbroker.com and one on Gunsamerica.com who has them in stock for $400 and will ship to NY FFL with NY compliant magazines.

I have read many good things about this gun and am looking forward to adding it to the stable.

The .40 version-M40-A1 I had was a great gun. Great trigger, nice ergonomics. Shot well. Very underrated.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

The Steyr M series was originally designed as a .40 S&W gun then adapted to take the 9mm cartridge as well. This is pretty unusual as far as design of the 9mm/40S&W guns go. I've had my Steyr M40-A1 for over two years now and it has been 99.9995% reliable(yes, I actually calculated it). I've fired upwards of 2000 rounds through it and I can only recall 1 stovepipe ever. The tri-trap sights take a bit of getting used to but I really enjoy them. I find I can acquire a target faster with my Steyr than any other gun I currently own(and I'm not new to the scene). It isn't my most accurate pistol but can do better than average groups. I carry my Steyr most days in a K&D Dakota Defender and couldn't be happier with it. I really recommend snapping one up while you can get one. I really want to buy the M-9A1 but am unsure if I want two seemingly identical guns and accidentally pop the wrong mag in or something such as that. Those are just my opinions on it though. You can't go wrong with one though, I know that.
    "I play for keeps."

MP in 9mm the way to go

I have had my M9A1 for about 3 years now. I can compare it to a lot of guns I have had, but I won't. What I will say it is the BEST gun I have ever owned, 1911's, Glocks or what ever. It has so many great features. When you hold one, it just fits like a glove. Almost perfect. Buy it, you will not be disapointed.

I've had the Styer on my list for a long time, one of these day's I'll actually pick one up, though I can't decide on the M or the S series (which is harder to find)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    I've had the Styer on my list for a long time, one of these day's I'll actually pick one up, though I can't decide on the M or the S series (which is harder to find)
    Right now the S is the hardest to find when they show for sale they get gobbled up. The MA1 is available for a very good price until the stock runs out. Once it does expect the prices to go up to the 500-650 range as the euro has kicked the $ butt lately.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Links