Brand-new no-lock S&W 37-2 for me!

This is a discussion on Brand-new no-lock S&W 37-2 for me! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a (according to what the wholesaler, RSR, told a dealer) Japanese government overrun/reject/whatever S&W 37-2 from a local shop this a.m. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA

I just picked up a (according to what the wholesaler, RSR, told a dealer) Japanese government overrun/reject/whatever S&W 37-2 from a local shop this a.m. After the Japanese didn't take them, RSR has been wholesaling them at loss-leader prices, and apparently my dealer got into one of them.

The new S&W 37-2 looks cute with my Ti Hideaway knife and my Surefire E2e

I paid the full sale price of $389 (they had marked it down from $459, which is still a good deal), which I figured that was a smoking good price for a brand new S&W J-frame (not the J-magnum-frame!) w/o the idiot lock or any MIM parts (even w/o the SA notch on the hammer). (Apparently the Japanese govt doesn't like MIM or the idiot locks any more than most of us do, although I admit I know so little about metallurgy that my prejudice against MIM is mainly just howling along with the rest of the gang of apes.)

There's been some fuss on the S&W Forum about whether these are +P safe or not. I figure I'd be fine using limited +P in mine - the same way I always used limited +P in my J-frames, regardless of when they were made. (Heck, if Elmer Keith could torch off some of the loads he reports in his 36 back in the '50s, and John Taffin as well in modern times, I'm fine with wussy factory +Ps.)

Anyway, the handloads that I carry in my Js are technically standard-pressure (at least acc. to the Speer Manual #12, but right at max). They'll throw the Rainier plated 148-gr WC at an average 896 fps out of the front of the 1 7/8" bbl that I tested them in (968 fps from the two 3"ers I tested). I'm not too worried about limited +P use, though, and actually plan to carry the more-anemic-than-expected 147-gr +P+ Federal HS load (897 fps out of my 3" guns; haven't tested it in the 1 7/8") in reserve (because the Hydra-Shoks are easier to feed quickly into the revo's chambers than my WC handloads).

My plated WC handloads are purty!

Amusingly, the S&W factory folk included a pair of idiot-lock keys with my no-idiot-lock 37-2. I deposited them in the same place as I did the fired cartridge case.

Oh! And I went by Sportsmans Warehouse and got some Hogue Bantam stocks for the thing, since I HATE the way those Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek things they put on them fit my hands and since the Hogue stocks are even LIGHTER than the UM/BC ones. The gun is light (it was 12.5 oz unloaded before I switched the grips), even when loaded.

Look, Ma! No idiot-lock!

Cool

Same little pistol I carry as a primary. I also don't have the lock and yes my pistol says +P so that's what I carry in it. I fire off a cylinder full when I go to the range. I figure if something happends to cause a problem SW will have to get me new one. Anyway I have had no problems. The little pistol is so versatile.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Assistant Administrator
    Erick - sweet! No lock - ain't that the best!

Very nice pics - and if I were there, I daresay I'd see you hopping up and down a bit - with glee :D
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Thanks, gents! I'm pretty happy, all right.

That's a real beauty! I went to the gunshow today and I saw abeautiful used H&K USP with the propietary H&K Gunlight attached with the offset remote switch under a Hogue "Hand-All" for about $695. Damn it was wonderful. Mine is brand new, I should pick it up in a couple of days. Anybody know anything about the H&K brand gunlights? Seems like those are the only ones that don't require an adaptor.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Oh wow...that's a nice little wheelgun....darn....right when I thought I was safe from getting a hankering for another gun I had to read this thread....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Um... sorry for being ignorant, but what locks are you talking about?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Assistant Administrator
    ibex - latest revo's from Smith have a wee lil' spider hole on left near cylinder release - in which you can put a small key and lock it - to prevent normal use.

It's for the kids ya know (and the whining anti's and blissninnies).!
    Chris - P95

Oh - my - goodness!

And people still buy those? When I buy my first gun some glorious day, I want exactly one hole in it. One hole is plenty.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Good looking piece What kind of ammo you got it Stoked with the one pic of the front of the cycliner the bullets look aweful flat and full cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    Oh - my - goodness!

And people still buy those? When I buy my first gun some glorious day, I want exactly one hole in it. One hole is plenty.
    They don't have a choice. If Ruger doesn't make it, you're SOL. And I understand Ruger will have them pretty soon, but at least theirs will be concealed inside the grips.

I'm giddy about the thought of a Model 21. If I want one, I've got to live with the lock.

I actually wouldn't mind the locks so much if S&W had accepted Taurus' offer to use their more elegant design that isn't an eyesore.

Assistant Administrator
    Anyway, the handloads that I carry in my Js are technically standard-pressure (at least acc. to the Speer Manual #12, but right at max). They'll throw the Rainier plated 148-gr WC at an average 896 fps out of the front of the 1 7/8" bbl that I tested them in
    Bud - quoting Erich - see my emphasis!
    Chris - P95

Dang chris i must have glanced right over that part .. Might need to get soem cheater glasses..lol

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Both of my guns have "lawyer locks". I don't mind them, but I also don't use them. I like the idea that if I have to have them stored somewhere, or while transporting them through one of those liberal states, I'll have it locked tighter than a chastity belt, simply to appease the fuzz if they stop me.

All it takes is one "Barney Fife" to accuse you of some stupid made up gun offense, and your CWL is GONE!!

No offense to any LEOs. I have the deepest respect for you guys and the job you do, but you all know guys like the ones I'm talking about. They'll write up a nun.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Congrat's Erich. Looks like a real winner and at a great price. Enjoy it. You can't go wrong with a piece like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links