My new Kahr PM9 - Review

This is a discussion on My new Kahr PM9 - Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a new PM9 (IAxxxx) serial # and it's excellent. It is a really light and nice looking gun. I have larger hands ...

Thread: My new Kahr PM9 - Review

My new Kahr PM9 - Review

I just got a new PM9 (IAxxxx) serial # and it's excellent. It is a really light and nice looking gun. I have larger hands so I immediately modified it slightly by putting a Hogue Jr. rubber grip sleeve on it. This makes it wider a bit to fit in the palm better and also provides for a better grasp on the gun because of the finger groove. It fits perfectly with no modifications needed. I also added a Pearce grip extension to the 6 round magazine. Now my pinkee doesn't hang off the gun and it feels great in my hand. I'll use the gun with the extension when I carry it IWB and will get another 6 round magazine to use when I carry it inside the pocket in a Nemesis holster. With larger cargo type shorts that I wear a lot it fits just fine in the pocket with the grip extension.

When wearing Khaki pants, for me at least, I'm not sure how well it will conceal in the front pocket. I have slightly larger quads from cycling and the gun prints a bit for me. It will probably depend on what pants I happen to be wearing that day.

The gun is tight and not quite as smooth as my Sig229 .40. My sig has 3K rounds through it and is smooth as butter. The sig has full length metal rails. The PM9 only contacts the metal inserted into the polymer frame at the far rear point of the rail and under the barrel on a couple small rails in front. It has almost a gritty feel when hand cycling the action. I know this will smooth out over time because the gun is tight now and now broken in yet. I know it will never be as smooth as my 229, love that gun.

Went to the range last night and put 100 rounds of WWB FMJ through it without a hitch. It was shooting to the right about 6-8 inches at 15 yards. I noticed that the front sight wasn't quite centered, it was slightly left of center. So last night I knocked it back to the middle. Tomorrow I'll go back and fire off another 100 rounds of WWB and put 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot SB 124GR through it to make sure it feeds my SD ammo well.

Impressions:
    -The gun is tight and not as smooth as I'm used to, only the 229 to compare it to. I'm sure this will get better over time.
    -The trigger is great. It is smooth. I do wish the trigger pull length was out a bit further since I have bigger hands, but this is nitpicking a bit.
    -The sights are fine. I got the standard bar-dot combination. This is the same setup that I have on my 229(but the 229 has a tritium in front).
    -The gun is quite concealable. I'll be able to wear it on my hip with tighter clothing and be able to hide it better than my 229. Never had any problems hiding the 229, but wearing it has eliminated some clothing in my closet from the lineup.

Going out to a nice dinner with the wife tonight. Will try the pocket carry with mynemesis holster and see how that goes. I should be getting my Highnoon split decision tuckable holster on Tuesdsay. I have a Highnoon down under on order, but I won't get that for 3-4 months, argh.

Links:
    Split Decision
    Down Under w/clip
    The Nemesis
    Getgrip Online Store
    Kahr Grip Extensions - Product Page
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

I looked at a PM9 and MK9 at my dealer's shop last month. The PM9 was a good bit lighter and I wanted that for pocket carry but the front sight was canted to the left like it'd somehow been bent. The clerk didn't seem like they'd be willing to fix it on their dime so I had to pass. The MK9 they had was much better with regard to its sights and other than an excessively long trigger take up, it seemed pretty near flawless.

I went ahead and put the MK on layaway. It's heavier than my ideal pocket gun but I can deal with that when the rare need arises. I could've adjusted the front sight on the PM9 with a pair of pliers and saved some money but, IMHO, there's something inherently wrong with pointing out a major flaw to a dealer and having them not offer to make it right (or at least offer to fix it free of charge if you buy the gun).

In any case, it's good to hear your positive range report. It helps confirm that I made a good decision putting the MK9 on layaway.
    Jack

Did you ask for a discount? Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to get some night sights. :)

The PM9 is indeed a fine pocket pistol. I love mine and carry it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    ... and will get another 6 round magazine to use when I carry it inside the pocket in a Nemesis holster. With larger cargo type shorts that I wear a lot it fits just fine in the pocket with the grip extension....
    Consider this for pocket carry...it's thinner and holds the extra 6 round mag with no loss of space. (stellarrigs.com):

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Congrats on the new pistol, mine is two weeks old and I love it. Consider more than the 20 rds. Gold Dot though, I did 100 rds. WWB and 20 rds. Gold Dot my first time out, flawless. Last weekend, I ran 50 rds. Gold Dot with one FTF and 50 rds. Federal HST with two FTF's. All were simple malfunctions, a simple tap rack bang fixed all three. Actually, simply pushing on the rear of the slide fixed one, and probably would have fixed all three. Round hung up on the ramp, but I am attributing it also to the gun being quite tight, which I expect will change with more use. Going to polish the feed ramp with Flitz anf the Dremel though, just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Consider this for pocket carry...it's thinner and holds the extra 6 round mag with no loss of space. (stellarrigs.com):

Looks interesting, but does the spare mag interfere with the draw?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Congrats on the new pistol, mine is two weeks old and I love it. Consider more than the 20 rds. Gold Dot though, I did 100 rds. WWB and 20 rds. Gold Dot my first time out, flawless. Last weekend, I ran 50 rds. Gold Dot with one FTF and 50 rds. Federal HST with two FTF's. All were simple malfunctions, a simple tap rack bang fixed all three. Actually, simply pushing on the rear of the slide fixed one, and probably would have fixed all three. Round hung up on the ramp, but I am attributing it also to the gun being quite tight, which I expect will change with more use. Going to polish the feed ramp with Flitz anf the Dremel though, just to be sure.

Looks interesting, but does the spare mag interfere with the draw?
    Actually helps it....ring and pinkie finger slip right under grip on top of mag, little pressure downward and gun pops out of kydex right in your hand. Very fast to get it out and operational.

No worries about having to press other holsters into side to withdraw piece, to make sure holster doesn't come out with gun.
    My Nemesis would come out with pistol unless I remembered to press it in tight, in loose pockets like cargos.

- OS

I put another 100 rounds of WWB through the gun. # 73 (#173 total) had a light primer strike. I suspect I limp wristed it and it didn't fully go into battery. I re-chambered it and it fired. I also shot 20 rounds of 124gr gold dot SB and they fired flawlessly.

Does anyone know of a thin kydex or leather mag pouch for the PM9? I want something that doesn't have the added width of a belt clip that I can just slip into my pocket.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I put another 100 rounds of WWB through the gun. # 73 (#173 total) had a light primer strike. I suspect I limp wristed it and it didn't fully go into battery. I re-chambered it and it fired. .
    Firing pin wouldn't activate if battery wasn't locked in. Otherwise you would get a kaboom.

I've had several (maybe 5) WWB not fire the first time in the last 600-700 rounds...both with 9mm and .38 special. They all fired second time around. So I'd assume it was just the ammo.

I had one UMC 9mm not fire just the other day in an XD. It wouldn't fire period, dud primer I guess.

- OS

have any of you kahr guys checked out the walther PPS , im curious how the two compare

I shot a PM9 before shooting my PPS .40 cal a few days ago at the range. The PPS is (to me) just like a Glock except it's a single stack.
    I have owned a 9mm Kahr stainless model about ten years ago and did not care for it (plus it had a faulty trigger). The PM9 was more enjoyable than I expected and smoother too. A long trigger pull, yes, but I thought it was a good trigger none-the-less. I may buy one after shooting it.

hedgehog,

here is a pic I borrowed from Gunblast. It is the biggest of the three-Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, and the Walther PPS.

How's the barrel hood holding out? Any peening or bulging?

Links