Went to pick up the new Glock 23

This is a discussion on Went to pick up the new Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went pick up the new pistol. Filled out the form, picked out some shotgun shells for the skeet range, and some miscellaneous cleaning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to pick up the new Glock 23

Went to pick up the new Glock 23

So I went pick up the new pistol. Filled out the form, picked out some shotgun shells for the skeet range, and some miscellaneous cleaning supplies. Come to find out, they put a delay on the transaction. I thought to my self, "this is BS". I have had my CCW for 6 years now. I had not done business with this gun shop before, and I don't know him at all.

I will be able to pick up the pistol next week unless the ATF calls back and tells him no. It's no big deal, I'm patient about most things.

Any of you have that happen?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Oregon has an instant background check. Assuming you pass, you get it right there.

Good luck with your purchase. It is a great gun.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    MO state laws may dictate something diffrent, but most states I've lived in a CCL will get you out the door with it after you order. The check should've occured at the time of purchase.

The G23 is my EDC, enjoy a great firearm!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Wait, I thought the only good thing to come out of the Brady Bunch fiasco was instant NICS background checks nationwide? And in most states, if you had a CCW then you could bypass that?

I've never heard of a dealer postponing a transaction because he doesn't "know" you. Maybe he ran a BC anyway because he was suspicious of your CCW, and maybe something made him nervous? Sounds like maybe a case of paranoid CYA on his part. I sure wish you had pressed him on what his reason was, and I might have just taken my business elsewhere.

EDIT: Yep, it sounds like he may have run you through NICS and got a "delay" response.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - CJIS - National Instant Criminal Background Check System - A NICS Delay

A NICS DELAY...

When a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) receives a delay response from the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section, the following instructions will be given to the FFL:

“NTN ___ is delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Act does not prohibit you from transferring the firearm on ___day/date___.”

In open transactions, the FFLs should record on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Form 4473 the date on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law provided in the instructions.

The following table specifies the day on which a firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final status has not been received from the NICS Section. (State and federal holidays will affect this schedule).

(table snipped)

If the FFL has not received a final determination from the NICS Section after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is at the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer).

If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must note “no resolution was provided within three business days” on line 19d of the ATF Form 4473. (Refer to pages 24 and 25 of the NICS FFL User Manual).

Revised 06/21/05
    Last edited by dmorris68; September 26th, 2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added NICS delay info
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II • Colt Combat Commander • Glock 26 GNS • Ruger Mark III 22/45 • Kahr CW9 (sold)

Washington State there is I believe a 5 day wait unless you pocess a CPL you get the pistol that same day you buy it.

The only time I have ever waited was if they did not have the specific model I wanted.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    As far as I know, nobody can go home with a firearm unless they get the approval on their 4473, regardless of where they live (it's a federal thing). Some states use a CCW as a guarantee of passing the 4473, but you can be sure that you aren't taking home a firearm from any FFL without getting approved.

I got delayed once and I never even had a parking ticket. When it cleared my dealer asked what the delay was about. Apparently my info was similar to a wanted felon in Mo, so they wanted to be sure my info was correct. If you have no criminal history you've got nothing to worry about. BTW, the dealer has nothing to do with the delay. It has everything to do with the NICS examiner.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

VIP Member
    No, that's part of the whole point of paying for the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    the dealer has nothing to do with the delay. It has everything to do with the NICS examiner.
    I know, he just acted goofy about the whole thing. These dealers in this area are dry on the personality side it seems. This is the first shop I have come close to liking since '92....

What permit would that be?
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Here in Arizona with a CCW permit, the FFL doesn't even phone in for approval.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Oh, you're in Springfield. There are quite of few places to buy guns up there, but they do kinda lack that "home town gun shop" feeling. The guys at 417 Guns seem alright, and Gunsmoke Gallery isn't too bad either since they got bought by new owners. I think the folks at Loftis were very polite and professional (even if they weren't completely knowledgeable about all of their firearms). If you feel uncomfortable about the way a dealer is acting, then go with your instincts and shop somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Here in Arizona with a CCW permit, the FFL doesn't even phone in for approval.
    Same in GA. In Fact, no extra background check fee with a GFL.

In AZ the DPS instant check includes a NICS check, even though the buyer isn't aware of it. A dealer can't transfer a gun without a NICS check, unless it's to another dealer. The process may be streamlined in some states, but it is still present.

In louisiana, I walked in bought my Glock 23...and walked out with my Glock 23. A 5 minute wait was all on the background check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links