Wife needs a ccw

This is a discussion on Wife needs a ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my wife expressed interest last night in taking a ccw course to get her license here in ohio! obviously i'm thrilled. right now i think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife needs a ccw

Wife needs a ccw

my wife expressed interest last night in taking a ccw course to get her license here in ohio! obviously i'm thrilled. right now i think my pistols are a little large for her so i want to get her a new one. she is a casual shooter, doesnt have a whole lot of range time so i think some real instrucion from a pro would be good for her.

she has small hands so i'm thinking of a single stack 9mm. not really interested in a revolver. money is an issue. problem is, that where i live, i would have to drive 2 hours to find a gun dealer that allows us to shoot before we buy (or rent). so as in all of my gun purchases, i'm going in blind.

how is the kahr pm9 for women?

any other suggestions?

i'm axiously awaiting your opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Actually my suggestion is drive the 2 hours let her handle and shoot sevearl different guns including revolvers, have a nice dinner and discuss with her the ones she liked and why she liked them.

My wife prefers a Taurus 605 loaded with .38 +P's. She is afarid that she will forget to turn a safety off or have problems racking a slide on an auotmatic so a revolver ended up being her best choice.

We only found this out after she spent time shooting sevearl different guns and talking about situations where she might have to use a pistol.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Actually my suggestion is drive the 2 hours let her handle and shoot sevearl different gun including revolvers, have a nice dinner and discuss with her the ones she liked and why she liked them....

Administrator
    Long before she needs her pistol, she needs an account here. She doesnt need to poor over thousands of posts, but have her start her own thread about her concearns, likes, dislikes etc. She needs to make her own choice.

About the Kahr...I love the line, but it is a poor choice for a new shooter. Small and light does not make a gentle shooter. A K9 would be a smarter choice IMO. Also check out a Sig 225.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with sixto the kahrs are also notorious for there tight slides, if she doesnt have great hand strength. Maybe a Certified Preowned p239 or even a p232 in .380
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would consider a S&W M&P 9c, it's shooter friendly and S&W is offering a $50.00 rebate.

Ultimately let her choose... and I would recommend having her shoot any and all that she is looking at. Depending on your wife's hand size I would have her check into the Glock 26, and the SIG P239 if she has small hands... these are two very reliable 9mm options.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

My opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
    my wife expressed interest last night in taking a ccw course to get her license here in ohio! obviously i'm thrilled. right now i think my pistols are a little large for her so i want to get her a new one. she is a casual shooter, doesnt have a whole lot of range time so i think some real instrucion from a pro would be good for her.

she has small hands so i'm thinking of a single stack 9mm. not really interested in a revolver. money is an issue. problem is, that where i live, i would have to drive 2 hours to find a gun dealer that allows us to shoot before we buy (or rent). so as in all of my gun purchases, i'm going in blind.

how is the kahr pm9 for women?

any other suggestions?

i'm axiously awaiting your opinions.

The Kel Tec P32 is an excellent CCW weapon...My wife has the Glock 26 (9mm), My daughter has the PT111 (9mm)...They loved firing the P32 ($259.00 for the .32 caliber 7 +1 w/mag weighs in at a whopping 9.6oz) ...My P3AT($269.00 for the .380) recoil was a bit much for them...

Kel-Tec P3AT - The World’s Lightest .380 Auto Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I would consider a S&W M&P 9c, it's shooter friendly and S&W is offering a $50.00 rebate.
    is this rebate still being offered? i dont see it on their website.

My wife (and I) loves her Makarov. Smaller in size but has the weight to reduce felt recoil. 9x18 is bigger than .380 but smaller than 9mm, has sufficent power for ccw. also single stack mag makes for an easy grip. also a decent one can be found for under $250.
    Jay

for what it's worth..here's my opinion. I did pour over lots of posts here, but like Sixto suggested, she should start an account on DC of her own and ask away!! I got a lot of great advice on my carry gun that way.

That being said, I too suggest trying to rent. 2 hours is a hike, so I can see that it would be tough. Money was (is) an issue with me too, so I feel your pain there....kiss that walther good-bye.

I HATED the 642 revolver. The trigger pull was really heavy, and frankly, I was scared that if by chance on of my little ones got a hold of it, perhaps they could pull the trigger. Long shot, maybe? I didn't care. I still felt uncomfortable with it. We work often with them on gun safety, but still, one can never be too careful. Now that I know a little better, the gun doesn't leave the holster.

I also didn't like the kahr. Sure it was slim, but I knew I'd never love it, want to clean it, let alone practice with it. It hurt my hand to shoot it! No thanks. I tried the M&P, but settled on the xd. It just fit my hand well, and I shot well with it. I also liked that I could look at and feel the top of it, and know a round was chambered. I also liked that I could look and feel that it was cocked. I like the thumb and grip safety. When I first started carrying, I was nervous about remembering if one was in the chamber or not. Well, one should always be in the chamber, so that solved that for me. I wanted the "safest" gun possible, so that I would feel more comfortable. It was kind of a crutch, I guess. Glad I don't feel like that after carrying now. I do love the gun. I have the xd9sc. It's ugly, but fun to shoot. I also have the night sights, which I think are important if it is also what you'd grab in the middle of the night in case of a home invasion. Not to mention dark parking lots at night. We also needed something reasonably priced, and this particular gun fit the bill.

On the mode of carry...It's a bit wide, and that bugs me. (I suppose if I had a belt, it would help, but I don't, so I won't whine and complain.) I do carry iwb. I have a high noon holster that I believe, is the split decision..just remade a little bit to my fit. LOVE IT!!! It's a light, "skinny" leather so it doesn't add to the thickness issue.

It is a pain in the rump to conceal in the summer, at least I think so. Maybe a belt would help more, maybe not, but either way, I did have trouble this past summer. It's not bad in cooler weather, as with just about any gun!!!

I would like to get a .380 for summer carry, but we have bigger needs than another carry piece....I know, I know, hard to believe.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

drive the 2 hours - make a day of it if you can - dinner, etc - let her try several types of pistol and revolver - I'm thinking the extra "comfort level" will go a long way

we drove the distance and she was able to handle a bunch of different models. kel tecs, glocks, smiths, kahrs, sigs. she eventually settled on the m&p9c, so i'm sure that's the one we'll go with. new toy for her, new toy for me. now to get her some range time.

thanks to everyone for the insight!

I will never again try to pick a weapon for MY wife, let alone yours. She has to pick her own...make the drive! You'll have fewer safe queens if you do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links