Colt Mustang carry concern

This is a discussion on Colt Mustang carry concern within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any ideas on what the problem is. I've noticed several times recently after removing my mustang from my iwb Bianchi (sp), that the slide is ...

Thread: Colt Mustang carry concern

Colt Mustang carry concern

Any ideas on what the problem is. I've noticed several times recently after removing my mustang from my iwb Bianchi (sp), that the slide is back about a 1/4 inch, which I assume is a result of a tight holster and readjusting the holster through the day. With that being said I know I have a holster issue that needs to be fixed, but the problem is that the extractor has not hooked the rim of the chambered round. I have to remove the mag. and take the eraser end of a pencil and dislodge the seated round. At the range the pistol is 100% and the extractor seems fine when under normal conditions while I am unloading the pistol. whats up I'm carrying a paper weight that appears ok when it's originally holdstered.

2. Remove Ads

Yikes, it could be that your extracter is not adjusted properly and moves off the round caused by shifting of the firearm.

You certainly have an extractor issue. It also sounds like you need a better holster. How many rounds through the Mustang ? I would consider getting a new recoil spring, too.

VIP Member
    Having removed, cleaned and reinstalled the extractor on a Mustang several times, I'm still puzzled by remarks about the extractor "not being adjusted properly." On mine, the dang thing is held in place by the end plate which covers the firing pin, and there is nothing to adjust that I can see. The extractor however does require meticulous cleaning.

Lima and JD seem to be our Mustang experts and I hope they jump in here.

I've not had a similar problem--and as you already know it to be a holster issue, why not just solve that problem pronto.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sportkcjc View Post
    Any ideas on what the problem is. I've noticed several times recently after removing my mustang from my iwb Bianchi (sp), that the slide is back about a 1/4 inch, which I assume is a result of a tight holster and readjusting the holster through the day. With that being said I know I have a holster issue that needs to be fixed, but the problem is that the extractor has not hooked the rim of the chambered round. I have to remove the mag. and take the eraser end of a pencil and dislodge the seated round. At the range the pistol is 100% and the extractor seems fine when under normal conditions while I am unloading the pistol. whats up I'm carrying a paper weight that appears ok when it's originally holdstered.
    Are you carrying with the hammer down?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Having removed, cleaned and reinstalled the extractor on a Mustang several times, I'm still puzzled by remarks about the extractor "not being adjusted properly." On mine, the dang thing is held in place by the end plate which covers the firing pin, and there is nothing to adjust that I can see. The extractor however does require meticulous cleaning.

Lima and JD seem to be our Mustang experts and I hope they jump in here.

I've not had a similar problem--and as you already know it to be a holster issue, why not just solve that problem pronto.
    You adjust it's extractor just like you do with a full size 1911.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

JD
    Administrator
    As OD noted, you "tune" the extractor just like a 1911, the overall design of the slide internals is nearly identical to the 1911 re: firing pin, firing pin stop, and extractor.

The Mustang's thumb safety does not prevent the slide from traveling like it does on a 1911, improper holster fit can cause the slide to move, I've never seen it first hand as my holsters properly fit the gun, but it could happen which is why when holstering I keep my thumb on the rear of the slide.

If the extractor is not keeping proper tension on the case, and the slide is able to move due to "X" reason, you've got issues.

Extractor Tuning Tips, see this link for info on how to tune the extractor, IIRC Brownells does stock some Mustang parts, you might also want to try E-Gun Parts, as well as Colt themselves if you find you need a new extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The firing pin stop keeps the extractor in place, but extractor tension is caused by the extractor acting like a spring, if the parts are stressed or getting worn, they won't keep tension causing the claw of the extractor to slip from the case.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Having worked on many 1911's I would say that your extractor has minimal tension, if that. The instructions on JD's link give a good explanation on how the
    extractor should be tuned. I might suggest that once you've adjusted it try placing a round manually into the extractor by hand before reassembling the gun. Tension alone should hold the cartridge firmly in place. If it falls out or fits very loosely, it needs further adjustment.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member

Thanks JD, interesting, and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As OD noted, you "tune" the extractor just like a 1911, the overall design of the slide internals is nearly identical to the 1911 re: firing pin, firing pin stop, and extractor.

The Mustang's thumb safety does not prevent the slide from traveling like it does on a 1911, improper holster fit can cause the slide to move, I've never seen it first hand as my holsters properly fit the gun, but it could happen which is why when holstering I keep my thumb on the rear of the slide.

If the extractor is not keeping proper tension on the case, and the slide is able to move due to "X" reason, you've got issues.

Extractor Tuning Tips, see this link for info on how to tune the extractor, IIRC Brownells does stock some Mustang parts, you might also want to try E-Gun Parts, as well as Colt themselves if you find you need a new extractor.

The firing pin stop keeps the extractor in place, but extractor tension is caused by the extractor acting like a spring, if the parts are stressed or getting worn, they won't keep tension causing the claw of the extractor to slip from the case.
    Thanks JD for the info and the link.l Good stuff.

thanks all, Ill check out the tuning/adjusting link

Extractor for a Mustang I have several spare parts but I have never been able to locate a extractor . Been to all the major places looking. I will be picking up a 2nd mustang this week. This ones nickle. Love these little pistols.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Quote Originally Posted by michael t View Post
    Extractor for a Mustang I have several spare parts but I have never been able to locate a extractor . Been to all the major places looking. I will be picking up a 2nd mustang this week. This ones nickle. Love these little pistols.

+1, My favorite pocket pistol! If its not in my loose in my pocket, its in a Hume IWB.

A question: Do you chamber the round from your magazine, or do you drop a round in the chamber, drop the slide, and insert the mag? If you load the individual round manually (rather than from the mag/up the feed ramp), it can cause that same failure to "latch" onto the rim. It will also wreck your extractor hook.
    The extractor hook doesn't "slip" straight over the cartridge rim; rather, the rim slides up into the hook from the bottom while being lifted/torqued into the chamber from the mag. (thus the angle on the bottom edge of the hook.)
    Hope you resolve this issue. My wife has the "+2" in stainless, and it really is a great little gun.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    A question: Do you chamber the round from your magazine, or do you drop a round in the chamber, drop the slide, and insert the mag? If you load the individual round manually (rather than from the mag/up the feed ramp), it can cause that same failure to "latch" onto the rim. It will also wreck your extractor hook.
    The extractor hook doesn't "slip" straight over the cartridge rim; rather, the rim slides up into the hook from the bottom while being lifted/torqued into the chamber from the mag. (thus the angle on the bottom edge of the hook.)
    Hope you resolve this issue. My wife has the "+2" in stainless, and it really is a great little gun.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Thank you, Chuck Brick. I just learned something important.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

VIP Member

Good piece of info-- thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    That is a good piece of info. Though I never load the chamber directly, only with the slide, this info is helpful. It will keep me from making the error sometime (when temptation causes me to try it) and risking the extractor.

Thanks.

just saw that this thread is is still somehat active so I'll update. Stopped carrying the mustang until I received the UBG holster I ordered back in September. very good fit with this holster and no problems in a month and a 1/2 of daily daily carry. Says something for buying the right equipment the first time around.

Links