Kimber or Springfield

This is a discussion on Kimber or Springfield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 I had a "micro." I have such HORROR stories and nightmares associated with that gun that it's probably a main reason ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kimber or Springfield

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I had a "micro." I have such HORROR stories and nightmares associated with that gun that it's probably a main reason I swore off sub-compact 1911's altogether.
    Same here.

Also I chose SA over Kimber for the Ambi safety. Being LH, I didn't want to spend all that money on a gun, then need a 'smith to dig into it.

2. Remove Ads

Springfield makes a good 1911, so did Kimber, and I believe they'll make good guns again. That said, in less than 5" models, Kimbers external has been a real pain in the rear, for them and for owners of their guns. That is being solved. As stated in another post, they are putting internal extractors back in, as a "fix", and in new guns. Lets hope they learned just like Coke did a few years ago, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I picked up one of the new Pro Carry HD II's with an internal extractor. This isn't a ringing endorsement, but it made 500 rounds without a failure. I won't carry it yet, not enough rounds, but a good start.

The best of luck with your purchase.

Michael
    Last edited by TN Eleven; December 18th, 2005 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Your right sprinfields do have a lot og MIM parts but not the high amount of breakage..

This is true, but MIM is MIM and I attribute less SF breakage to less being produced and sold.

Yeah i dont like its made in braizil but i also dont like my tv is not made in america nor 95% of the parts in my supposed american assy car.

I also agree with this too, but if at all possible I can buy an American
    made and maufactured item I will.

So any more it dont really matter springfield doesnt seem to have the problems kimbers do and thatblasted exteranl extractor wonder if they got that figured out yet
    I some what agree here too, but to me it does matter if I can buy American! and the reason it seem's like Springfield doesn't have as many problem's is again, the amount being built and sold. "Law of large numbers", Springfield is way less publisied than Kimber is, and Springfield did not make the mistake of switching to an external extractor to try and save manufacturing cost's as Kimber did!

Springfield already save's cost's by having there gun's built in Brazil. Kimber has corrected this problem and has returned the internal extractor back to the line up after several EE design failers. Atleast Kimber didn't sell out and have China start building them to cut cost. Kimber tried and failed with the extractor change and has gone back to what work's. I never agreed with the extrator change and do not own and EE Kimber nor will I ever own one. I would say that Kimber's problems are 65% EE and 35% feeding problems, that an IE design and better mag's will fix.

Such is life.

TI

Kimbers have more out there sthan springfields i find that hard to belive just by sales here i see Kimbers sit and sit in the case here and springers hard to come buy becuse there always sold

But no point in arguing you like Kimbers and i dont you dont like Springers i do to Each there own

Brazil, U.S., Austria,. It doesn't matter to me where a firearm is made. It doesn't have much to do with who gets the $ in the end. Springfield's firearms may be made in Brazil, But where do the major shareholders live? Brazilians may do a funky job putting it together, but where does Springfield owners sent there guns to get them to act properly? We live in a global economy. I only care if it goes bang every time.
    But no point in arguing you like Kimbers and i dont you dont like Springers i do to Each there own
    I agree.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a loaded Springer. The trigger is nowhere nearly as nice as that of the Kimber TLE belonging to a friend that I have put 100 rounds or so through. I have had various malfunctions with my Springer, and my extractor was a bit tight at first, but it has since broken in a good bit.

I liked the Kimber better than my Springer.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Kimbers have more out there than Springfield’s I find that hard to believe just by sales here I see Kimbers sit and sit in the case here and springers hard to come buy because there always sold

There is no question that Springfield has more 1911's out there than Kimber will ever have, I was talking about in the last 5-10 year's and looking up the numbers Springfield IS producing about 20,000 more 1911's per year than Kimber is. I honestly thought that Kimber was leading in yearly production #s, not so. I had no idea that Springfield was producing, like 68,000 vs 48,000 from Kimber at least in 2003. Seem's in my area Kimber is everywhere and over shadows Springfield like 20 Kimber's in a case to 5 Springfield’s at any one time.

But no point in arguing you like Kimbers and I don’t you don’t like Springers I do to Each there own
    I'm not arguing hatefully just respectfully arguing some point's. I actually like Springfield and would use a Springfield as a base for let's say a Yost 1* custom in a heart beat. But I like the pre series II Kimbers and series II without the EE! so post series II EE a little better as a production gun. Cleaner triggers, nicer finish, slide to frame fit is good and accuracy is really good for a production gun. I just hate how they both try to cut corner's to save $ and sacrifice quality to do it. This is why I just wait to buy the good stuff! I will have less gun's but excellent quality and craftsmanship I will have.

Ti

I have thought about a kimber 10mm but i dont know .. if i decide on one will only be if it has a internal extractor

You silly 1911 guys. You'll pour $500-$1200 into a pistol and then spend $300-$4000 (that's an extra zero not a typo) at a gunsmith getting it to work right, and then bad talk the guy with a $500 piece of Tupperware that worked fine out of the box.

The only 1911A1 pattern pistol I want is made by Springfield. Apparently none of the other companies want my business. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    You silly 1911 guys. You'll pour $500-$1200 into a pistol and then spend $300-$4000 (that's an extra zero not a typo) at a gunsmith getting it to work right, and then bad talk the guy with a $500 piece of Tupperware that worked fine out of the box.

The only 1911A1 pattern pistol I want is made by Springfield. Apparently none of the other companies want my business. Works for me.

Sorry Euc but ive never paid anything on my 1911 except to have night sights added

I have tupperware but still has no soul

No gun currently made really has any soul. Everything is MIM parts stamped out of the cheapest possible materials, and guns have dozens of "safety features" they don't even need.

Gone are the hand polished feed ramps, shiny internal parts forged by a gunsmith, pinned and recessed K frames... sigh.

no no A Colt euc not a k frame now a colt has soul And anything not Black has a soul Anymore

Colt... yes perhaps they're the last production non custom gun with any soul. But there's not enough of them.

The sad part is it wasn't really all that long ago that guns were made differently.

Very true but not much you can do about that just like everything else nothing is made way it used to be

It's weird. You know on a logical and intellectual level that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with MIM parts or two piece barrels or whatever... but you take a modern production gun of any kind, 1911s included, and put it next to one made 20 or 30 years ago, suddenly the newer one just feels cheap.

Of course you go too far back and you look at some of those guns and wonder how the heck they ever fired. Ever seen an old Luger up close?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links