Kimber or Springfield - Page 3

Kimber or Springfield

This is a discussion on Kimber or Springfield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yes ya have to wonder how a luger works .. I understand what ya mean and i cant stand MIM as most people cant .. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    yes ya have to wonder how a luger works .. I understand what ya mean and i cant stand MIM as most people cant ..

But i must admit i never had a failure of a piece

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I had a "micro." I have such HORROR stories and nightmares associated with that gun that it's probably a main reason I swore off sub-compact 1911's altogether.
    What horror stories? From SA, did you use your warranty?
    I agree it is bad to have issues with a new weapon in feeding JHP's.
    Since coming back, it is flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    and don't kid yourself SF's are jam packed with MIM part's as well and did I mention made in "Brazil".
    Yeah, Brazil. Imbel. The FN contractor whose FAL receivers and other products have a near-mythical reputation among those who build with them.

It's one of the reasons I bought a Springfield over a Kimber or the competition.

At the Same time a Kimber bought for say $800.OO can be sent to your local smith that you trust or can be recommended to you, have a reliability tune and trigger job to your choice of # pull for about $100.00 and change the mag's to Cobra or Wilson 2@ $60.00.
    The fact that a $800 gun needs to be sent to have a reliability tune and trigger job out of the box is still something I just don't get about the 1911.

My Sigs work flawlessly from the get go. So do my HKs. So do my Brownings. And the Walthers...and.....

If it doesn't work right out of the box, consistently, without a 500 round break-in BS (which is NOWHERE specified in the original military manuals for the 1911), there's something wrong.

You will then have a very good, light weight, reliable, carry piece for under a grand! about $960.00 to be exact using the above example.
    Even at HK's massively inflated polymer prices, I can get a USP 45 with nearly double the magazine capacity, DA or C&L capacity, and clock in much, much lighter.

There are a host of other options too - and they'll work out of the box without the gunsmith trip and half a case of break-in.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Shhh Robert - Bruce might read that LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I want to thank everyone for their repilies. I think I may be leaning toward the springer after having the chance to fire a kimber pro carry II. Had problems with the first round chambering from the mag when using the slide release. Not sure why this was but every round after that chambered just fine. The first round was not a problem if you pulled back on the slide when it was locked to the rear and then allowed it to go forward. Now I see this as a potental problem with a mag change in a stress situation and you go for the slide release. Between 3 or 4 of us we probably put close to if not over 500 rounds through it and still had the same problem.
    Maybe this is not a fair evalution because I have not had a chance to fire a springer champion, but this is my feeling so far.

Has anyone ever had a problem with an ambi safety catching on cover clothing?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    It will be hard to go wrong with either , both companys turn out fine handguns , and as far as the " wrongside" safety i have never heard of it being an issue , but if it concerns you its easy enough to retrofit a port side only safety to any 1911

The fact that a $800 gun needs to be sent to have a reliability tune and trigger job out of the box is still something I just don't get about the 1911.

My Sigs work flawlessly from the get go. So do my HKs. So do my Brownings. And the Walthers...and.....

If it doesn't work right out of the box, consistently, without a 500 round break-in BS (which is NOWHERE specified in the original military manuals for the 1911), there's something wrong.
    No sir, nothing at all wrong with Sig or HK.

My Springfield didn't need money spent to tune it. That's what the warranty is for . I only spent money needlessly cause I'm dumb .

Yeah there is a break in period, but these things give the gun a soul IMHO.

The ammo capacity, and weight, yeah ya got me on that. I like to think people get 1911's cause of taste. Not to say that HK or Sig owners lack taste.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have said it before , and ill say it again , 1911s and ars are black barbies for big boys ( there is just so much tactikewl chit to hang off em ) i love 1911s but my serious socal carry gun is an older sig 220 that has served me well for many thousands of rounds , the wife howeaver carrys the original subcompact 1911 ( detonics ), its all in what ya like assuming the pistol is relyable

I have a SA Ultra carry V10, Colt Defender, Kimber Porcarry CDP, and a few other 1911s. The Kimber and SA Ultra Carry V10 work flawlessly for me. The others that I own work just as good. Ambis are a big plus in my opinion
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid1911

I have practiced many draws form concealment with my new Champion. Never had a snag. The safety on both sides is fairly small and tight to the frame/slide. Enjoy which ever gun ya get, I'm sure they both are well built.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid1911

Nope havent ever had this problem

For years I had a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match .45 that I used for target shooting and for IDPA. It was a great gun but the rear sight kept coming loose and eventually the slide developed a crack in it. I sold it and bought a Springfield Loaded model. I have put at least 15,000 rounds through the Springfield shooting IDPA and practicing. I have had just two problems with it. I had to replace the firing pin stop. Did that myself. Then I had a barrel problem and returned the gun to Springfield. They repaired the gun and returned it to me in under two weeks with a brand new fitted match barrel that shoots great. I am very happy with the Springfield. I think that any gun that you shoot a lot can fail. As a range safety officer I have seen just about every brand and make and model of firearms fail at one time or another at matches. Shooting matches really tests the reliability af the guns. Most people will never shoot their guns as much as competitive shooters do. I shoot about 5,000 rounds a year, and I know other competitors who shoot more than that. I am happy with my Springfield Loaded.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

in the same league?

kimber and springfield are not even in the same league. Kimber is SUCH a better product, I can't believe we are having this discussion. Springfield does make a good product, and are better than alot of 1911's. Kimber is the closest product to the custom built 1911's you can buy over the counter. from the full 5" to the small 3''. QUALITY.
    my 2 cents
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor
    kimber and springfield are not even in the same league. Kimber is SUCH a better product, I can't believe we are having this discussion. Springfield does make a good product, and are better than alot of 1911's. Kimber is the closest product to the custom built 1911's you can buy over the counter. from the full 5" to the small 3''. QUALITY.
    my 2 cents
    Thank you snowdoctor, I was beginning to think I was one of the only Kimber guy's.

I will say this tho! Kimber has suffered bad press from mistakes that they have created by trying to cheapen their product for the sake of the almighity dollar! The Clakamas Kimber's and the pre series II Kimbers were very good quality production 1911's and I look for those when in the market and when I can find them, I like to buy them if I can.

but as euclidean said!

No gun currently made really has any soul. Everything is MIM parts stamped out of the cheapest possible materials, and guns have dozens of "safety features" they don't even need.

Gone are the hand polished feed ramps, shiny internal parts forged by a gunsmith, pinned and recessed K frames... sigh.

And,

It's weird. You know on a logical and intellectual level that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with MIM parts or two piece barrels or whatever... but you take a modern production gun of any kind, 1911s included, and put it next to one made 20 or 30 years ago, suddenly the newer one just feels cheap.

I agree with this 100% (with production gun's) and Kimber has fallen in to this patteren as well but I see them starting to dig there way out and the first step was to get back to the internal extractors and the next step is sending new gun's with "one" quality Kim-Pro magazine instead of a crap standard Kimber $8.00 mag and 99% of their problems would disapper.

The gun's today that have soul are the one's made by the craftsman such as John Jardine, Terry Tussey, C.T. Brian, Hilton Yam, Ted Yost and John Harrison to name a few. But with quality/craftsmanship the price tag comes with it. A good Colt sent to Yost/Bonitz for the 1* treatment is holding a high quality piece of soul when it returns.

Ti.

Heres a Tidbit of info i found out lately did you know The Clakamas Kimber's were not actually made there?

No pistols were there just tagged there all were built in yonkers .. Was in the most recent book of 1911 i think it was

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links