Kimber or Springfield

This is a discussion on Kimber or Springfield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bud White Heres a Tidbit of info i found out lately did you know The Clakamas Kimber's were not actually made there? ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kimber or Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Heres a Tidbit of info i found out lately did you know The Clakamas Kimber's were not actually made there?

No pistols were there just tagged there all were built in yonkers .. Was in the most recent book of 1911 i think it was
    Yes I did know this about the Clakamas run of Kimbers! that is were the company was based at the time. It doesn't change the fact that the Clackamas Kimber's were possibly the best that Kimber ever made.

For whatever reason it give's those models prestige among Kimber guy's.

Ti.

2. Remove Ads

i wont argue that those were the best kimbers as that is always what ya hear just funny they were all built in the same factory but the one marked clakamas were better

Lead Moderator
    I don't think anyone was bashing Kimber. Just comparing what we have to what is out there. I almost bought a Kimber. If 1 had been avalible , factory furnished withthe features I wanted, I would have 1 instead of a SA. I trust either manufacturer to make a quality gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i wont argue that those were the best kimbers as that is always what ya hear just funny they were all built in the same factory but the one marked clakamas were better
    I guess what I am saying is that the Clackamas or Yonkers Kimber's that were produced in the beginning were excellent quality, the pre series II gun's were exceptional as well! basicly the same thing just the frames were stamped with Yonker's on them by then but did have some slight cost saving changes, then the series II Kimber's came out and were a good line up but then Kimber started to kick it around putting the EE in and sending IMO even cheaper mag's with them. These are the gun's that are giving the bad rap to Kimber and the issues we are hearing about, Kimber failed with these changes, are starting to lick their wounds, and are going back to what worked for them. The Kimber series II, Colt series 80 and others with FPS are here to stay, but the quality should stay too.

Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I guess what I am saying is that the Clackamas or Yonkers Kimber's that were produced in the beginning were excellent quality, the pre series II gun's were exceptional as well! basicly the same thing just the frames were stamped with Yonker's on them by then but did have some slight cost saving changes, then the series II Kimber's came out and were a good line up but then Kimber started to kick it around putting the EE in and sending IMO even cheaper mag's with them. These are the gun's that are giving the bad rap to Kimber and the issues we are hearing about, Kimber failed with these changes, are starting to lick their wounds, and are going back to what worked for them. The Kimber series II, Colt series 80 and others with FPS are here to stay, but the quality should stay too.

Ti

I agree to that Quailty should stay no matter what to bad it doesnt most the time

Been reading the 5 pages of posting here. I just wanted to insert a comment of oobservation from a Retail standpoint.
    Currently, at the store, I have a used Springer Micro (looks just like a Kimber Ultra CDP) Ok, here's the kicker. I WAS going to buy this gun, about 6 months ago, cuz it was selling for 695.00
    Now, I've seen this gun (the exact same serial number) sell, and return 4 TIMES. (I've checked the number on the gun) I't been sold and returned 4 times, which is telling me something is amiss with this weapon. We've had Kimber Pro Carry guns fly out of the store, along with Champions, Rock Islands, Colts, and even Chas Daley 1911s. The poor little Micro can't find a home though. I'm not wanting it, due to the history of this NICE lookin little gun. Just wanted to pass this info on to the Forumites, as I know all of us can digest what I'm saying.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OD*
    No gun currently made really has any soul. Everything is MIM parts stamped out of the cheapest possible materials
    Not true of the Colt's, or Norinco's.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Well, I've have decided to go with Springfield Champion. I want to thank everyone for their input and responses. The purchase is going to have to wait about a month since some of the money saved got spent over the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid1911
    Well, I've have decided to go with Springfield Champion. I want to thank everyone for their input and responses. The purchase is going to have to wait about a month since some of the money saved got spent over the holiday.

Good choice. Let us know when you get it. Then we will need a range report.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I own three kimbers. They're great guns, accruate and relible, even when two thousand rounds dirty.

Every one of them were built before the seires II safety was added, as well as the external extractor that works sometimes, and of course before the small parts started breaking.

If its a series I, I'll take it without thinking twice. If its a series II, I'm more likely to pick up a springer. Personally, I think you made a good choice.

At the Same time a Kimber bought for say $800.OO can be sent to your local smith that you trust or can be recommended to you, have a reliability tune and trigger job to your choice of # pull for about $100.00 and change the mag's to Cobra or Wilson 2@ $60.00.
    Triggerjob? On a Kimber? Two of mine break at around 3.5lbs. One is less than three (but its got a little more wear on it).

Good choice. I love my springfield and wouldnt trade it for anything except maybe a Wilson Combat Classic Super Combat.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kid1911
    The purchase is going to have to wait about a month since some of the money saved got spent over the holiday.
    Funny how that happens i understand myself luckly payday is friday and that mean i can buy more guns

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links