Concealed Carry From 90 Years Past

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry From 90 Years Past within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OD made a great post in another thread discussing the old Smith & Wesson Carbonia blue finish. While I realize that the Forum is more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry From 90 Years Past

OD made a great post in another thread discussing the old Smith & Wesson Carbonia blue finish. While I realize that the Forum is more about the latest in handguns and self defense techniques, take a look at a pretty fine example of the state of the art in revolver pocket carry protection from the World War I era.

Dropped my wife off last Saturday afternoon at Wal Mart in a nearby town and made the rounds of the local pawn shops. Found a Smith & Wesson Third Model .32 Hand Ejector with 3 1/4-inch barrel in eye-catching condition with a tag sporting a decent price stuck to its side plate. The kindly pawn shop owner knocked off $75 and said he wouldn't tack on tax, all without my prodding . Behaving rationally, I put it back and left to head back over to Wal Mart. Got there and wheeled up to the door just as my wife was coming out. Picked her up and then pointed the car back down the street towards the pawn shop as I decided I'd better fetch it home.

I love all antique and "classic" Smith & Wesson revolvers but have never been drawn to the little I-Frame guns quite to the extent that I admire the K-Frames and the N-Frames. However this one charmed me right off my feet. This .32 S&W Long looks to have been fired very, very little if at all and only has light handling marks. It's a good example of what the original finish looked like "back when." Serial number is 277768 which puts it somewhere between 1915 and 1919 as best as I can determine. Anyone who can tighten this date range up will be appreciated. The pawn shop owner said it came from the estate of a little ol' lady whom I assume "only carried it to church on Sunday." He said he'd only put it out for sale that morning.

The streak on the left side of the frame behind the cylinder lug is only oil. Should have wiped it down better.

Smith and Wesson fiddled with this frame size in 1950, lengthening it a bit and ultimately coming up with the 5-shot J-Frame Chief's Special .38 Special which became the popular Model 36. This little revolver holds six shots of not highly effective .32 S&W Long ammunition. Still, an assailant could be said to be having a very bad day if he was struck with a bullet or two or three from this little revolver.

Senior Moderator
    That is a classic pistol
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Nice Find.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Oh my gosh that is nice. 100 years ago this year my grandpop carried a H&R .32 revolver where ever he went. At home he had a 10 Gauge Duck Gun and hunted with a Savage 99. He was a Colorado farmer in the Fleming area and I'd say they served his needs.

I think that is a extremely nice find...congrats.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Talking Very Nice !

That is a nice one. Not commonly seen,especially in that condition..32's were a very popular caliber for pocket carry in the first half of the 1900's. A lot of what you find from that era will show finish wear from carry and or use....Oh,now that you have that little jewel,you might as well let me take that crusty old Bankers Special off your hands..................
    U.S. Army Veteran

Hah, pistola! A crusty ol' career banker's got to have his Banker's Special.

I have fired one such. Sweet pistol!
    It belonged to my best friend and was his mother's favorite apron gun; she was minute of Ace of Spades at fifteen feet with it.
    It belonged to his uncle who was a butcher in Salesville. A big man, he was six three and 260 pounds and wore it on collection day when he made his rounds. One of the Eastern European immigrants gave him the hoo-raw one day: "Oh see da beeg man he wear-a da jacket on-a da warm day oh." The "oh" was uttered when said individual pulled up the unbuttoned jacket and saw the little Smith in its full flap holster. That ended the hoo-raw.
    Never underestimate the effectiveness of the lowly .32. It will never be a full-house .357 and it will never be a mighty .44, but Uncle found it would penetrate a hog's skull clear back to the ham.
    After this discovery he was forbidden from using that little pistol to kill hogs for slaughter ever again.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Great find ! By the way I love to read your stuff.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Lead Moderator
    Wow , great find!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Smile ......................

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hah, pistola! A crusty ol' career banker's got to have his Banker's Special.
    I understand,Sir.
    U.S. Army Veteran

"Great find ! By the way I love to read your stuff."

Thanks Stormvet! I love what your bar signifies. Thank you for serving.

"Save the Opossums"

Besides which pistola, my Banker's Special has taken out a 'possum so might give you some heartburn if you had it.

Sponsor
    That's a nice Smith, great find. I really like collecting the older smiths, if I'd see that one I'd have snagged it well.

Good luck with it, it's in great condition for a carry gun that old.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Good looking. Nice catch.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Administrator
    Super nice classic wheelgun. Take really extra good care of those grips also. They are in rare condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links