Glock Cleaning

This is a discussion on Glock Cleaning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The gun I carry is always clean and maintained! My practice / games guns are a different story. They usually go thru a couple of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Cleaning

The gun I carry is always clean and maintained! My practice / games guns are a different story. They usually go thru a couple of range visits and up to a 1000 rounds. I don't have issues. I ususally set up a cleaning sesson and make it an assembly line process. I don't know if it really is quicker but I feel more effective!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

Clean *field strip* everytime I shoot, whether 1 or 100+ rounds. I have to admit that I was kinda skeptical about the Gunzilla hype, but man. That stuff does work! I detail clean around 6 months or so, or if I remember to after a 1000 rounds or so.. Also, wipe them down everyday with 100% cotton tee, after a days carry..
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

I clean my carry gun once a week. My range guns get cleaned after about 250 rounds. I use good ol fashoned CLP. I've never detailed cleaned my glocks.

Why wouldn't anyone clean their guns after every use? Lazy!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Glocks should be cleaned every 10,000 rounds or 10 years...which every comes first.

In truth, I clean everything I shoot the same day it comes back from the range. If it has been in the safe for more than 6 months without traveling to the range, I clean those, too!

Stay armed...use a clean weapon...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator

Wink

I wash my car every single time I drive it.

No matter if I've only driven it one mile or 500 miles.

I also take my toaster apart and throughly clean it (inside & out) after every 25 slices of toast.

To be honest...I clean and lube my G36 about twice a year if it needs it or not. I have never had a problem with it.

I clean my Non Glocks every few times I shoot them. That seems to be enough for me.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Distinguished Member
    My grandad use to keep a semi auto Remington 22 rifle on his tractor 24 hours of the day and he never cleaned it and it never had a problem, it did have rust on the barrel, but it went bang every time you pulled the trigger and me and my cousin pulled the trigger on it a lot. I wipe down the outside after I shoot, but I don't clean the inside every time that I shoot my handguns. I might clean the inside after 200 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I also take my toaster apart and throughly clean it (inside & out) after every 25 slices of toast.
    Like those items are used for self defense! I laugh at the idiots that wonder why their guns keep jamming and end up blaming the gun and not themselves for not properly cleaning them. I had someone at my CHL qualification range when I was qualifying have theirs jam up and I heard the instructor ask when was the last time they cleaned it. So I'll keep my cleaned after I shoot the weapon, like when I was in the military they had use clean them after every use. You suggest they do not clean them? I think not!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

There's a word for that, obsessive compulsive disorder!

cracked me up!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

I also take my toaster apart and thoroughly clean it (inside & out) after every 25 slices of toast.

Administrator
    Honestly I'm just "funning" with you folks by pointing out the fact that we expect and even demand that most of the other high quality mechanical devices and "machines" used in our daily lives to run and function without constant meticulous maintenance.

For instance I have an old Singer sewing machine that was left in my house.
    We still use it & I did oil it some years ago but, I don't think it has ever been detail cleaned and it has not missed a stitch since probably 1910.

Truthfully...it does not bother me one little bit how often anybody else chooses to clean their own personal property.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I clean mine every few hundred rounds or so...more often if I'm shooting in windy/dusty conditions, or rolling around on the ground.

Use lithium grease and you won't have to worry about oil running or burning off.

good to see another Tactical Response Alumnus on the board...I was there when James did the torture test...pretty neat to see.

edit: checked your link to GT...I took most of those pics
    Be carefull with lithium grease if the climite is ever cold. You rock that at 30-40 degrees or below and it will not function well.

As far as cleaning, I do a quick cleanup on my G21 every 300 rounds or so and a detail strip every 6 months if I am using it a lot.

My cusom Open Class G17 I clean every 600 rounds or so. This I do not clean as much due to the difficulty breaking it down with the c-more sight mount and the compensated barrel. Even after 600 rounds I never have any function issues.
    Last edited by Jay6; September 29th, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

I clean any gun that goes to the range after every range trip... sometimes I leave them, but they are cleaned before I go back to the range.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I normally clean my guns after every range trip which is usually 150-200 rounds. I won't clean them if I am going back to the range within a week or two.

I have gone 2000-3000 rounds with a Glock during some practice sessions and four days of training. It never missed a beat.

I don't think they need to be cleaned that much to work properly but I like my stuff to be clean if I have a choice.
    It takes me about ten minutes to clean a Glock in the kitchen sink with Simple Green, blow it out with an air compressor and a few drops of oil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links