Glock Cleaning

Glock Cleaning

This is a discussion on Glock Cleaning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How often do ya'll clean your glock? 1) How many days will you go of not firing it before you clean or oil again? 2) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Cleaning

Glock Cleaning

How often do ya'll clean your glock?

1) How many days will you go of not firing it before you clean or oil again?

2) How many round will you put though the gun before you clean and oil?
    NRA Member

I clean my weapon after each use. I shoot a G19, and it is a damn good to go weapon. I took a two classes with James Yeager, who also is a serious shooter, and shoots a 9mm. I have pasted for you a video on cleaning, and one on a 1,000rd shoot he did with a G19,
    the guide rod melted and came out of thr front end of the weapon.
    And It Still Functioned. So check it out!

YouTube - Cleaning a Pistol

1,000rd shoot scroll down to Cablerouter
    9mm Glocks are Freaking Tough - Glock Talk
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

I clean and oil my Glocks every time I shoot them, whether it be 1 round or 100 rounds.

Every time I shoot I clean. No matter how many rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post
    How often do ya'll clean your glock?

1) How many days will you go of not firing it before you clean or oil again?

2) How many round will you put though the gun before you clean and oil?
    #1....nothing specific, nothing routine for me. I wear my smaller Glocks IWB , and I might give them an outside goings over and wipe with clean cotton rag. I use old 100% cotton t-shirts. I may run a dry patch through the bore if I see dust at the muzzle end. Other than that, it's a Glock easy break-down whenever you want to clean.
    #2....again, nothing specific here, but I'll usually clean it right after a range session, and that can be 100-200 rounds. Yesterday I cleaned my G27 with the new Gunzilla cleaner I bought that was raved about here on the forum. I had put approximately 200 rounds through this pistol a week ago....it's also been my every day carry (EDC) for this month. Oh--I care for all my firearms, and am rather meticulous when it comes to cleaning them or preparing them for storage. But the Glocks? The Glocks really don't need much baby-sitting. Heck, whenever you feel the urge to clean them, then is the best time to do it. You won't wear them out cleaning them, but you don't want to leave too much residue of anything on them.

I clean mine well each time I shoot them. I like to give them a little attention once a week when carried.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Every time after shooting it. If I go a while w/o shooting every 3-6 months of carry.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I clean mine every few hundred rounds or so...more often if I'm shooting in windy/dusty conditions, or rolling around on the ground.

Use lithium grease and you won't have to worry about oil running or burning off.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    I clean my weapon after each use. I shoot a G19, and it is a damn good to go weapon. I took a two classes with James Yeager, who also is a serious shooter, and shoots a 9mm. I have pasted for you a video on cleaning, and one on a 1,000rd shoot he did with a G19,
    the guide rod melted and came out of thr front end of the weapon.
    And It Still Functioned. So check it out!

1,000rd shoot scroll down to Cablerouter
    9mm Glocks are Freaking Tough - Glock Talk
    good to see another Tactical Response Alumnus on the board...I was there when James did the torture test...pretty neat to see.

edit: checked your link to GT...I took most of those pics
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
    I clean and oil my Glocks every time I shoot them, whether it be 1 round or 100 rounds.
    +1 the same for all our pistols & long guns
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Slim 45

Nice avatar!

Administrator
    I think that Brownie should weigh in on this Glock cleaning as he probably sends more Lead out of Glock barrels than anybody else on DC.

I mostly shoot 1911s and I do not clean them every time I shoot them. I always DO keep my daily carry gun incredibly clean.

I am far less fanatical about cleaning my range/target guns. Especially if I know that I am going to be shooting again in a couple or few weeks.

I run an oily patch through the bore and then wipe the gun externally with a lightly oiled rag and then I Zip~Lock bag it with VPI Vapor Phase Inhibitor. I store my dirty mags the same way in VPI.

The VPI makes it impossible for the gun to rust, corrode, or pit because it changes the Oxygen in a sealed environment...aka the inside of a sealed bag for up to 1 year. No Oxygen = No Rust.

If you clean your guns primarily because you don't want them to rust then there are ways to prevent them from rusting without over cleaning them.

My logic is...Why would I constantly clean and "baby" a firearm that was originally designed to function under the harshest of battlefield conditions every single time I popped a lousy 100 rounds through it?

Naturally, I don't want my range guns to rust but, they don't with my method. SO...I figure why bother?

Before I shoot that firearm again:

> I pull a few dry patches through the bore.
    > I pop a couple of drops of lube on the rails.
    > I retract the slide and put a drop of oil on the barrel & I let a few drops of oil work down the slide stop to the barrel link.
    And that's about it.
    I will throughly clean that firearm after every four or five times that I have it out.

Again...you will never find my daily carry gun in a dirty condition but, my life does not depend on my target or range guns.
    BTW - I have surprisingly FEW malfunctions - (if any) and my guns are in great condition.

I have absolutely nothing against anybody who wants to dedicate the time to disassembling and throughly cleaning a firearm every time they shoot it. That's great if you have the time, inclination, and the motivation.

I also believe that your carry gun should always be clean.
    Me personally...I only like guns that always function when they are dirty.
    I wouldn't own a gun that needed to be cleaned every time I popped 50 rounds through it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It's a Glock. Don't worry about it.

I do clean mine after shooting it, but if I haven't shot it, it's not getting cleaned.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Administrator
    Just FYI Vapor Phase Inhibitor is now being sold by Brownell's in a newer version. I still use the older powder but, now it is called:

RUST-BLOX VAPOR TABS
    Mfr: BROWNELLS

Stop Rust Before It Starts
    Each “Blox” protects up to 300 cubic inches of air-tight space with time-released, corrosion-inhibiting vapors for at least one year. Spread several through tool chest, tackle box, gun cabinet.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I used to clean them after each use. But I have a G19 which I use for matches and practice. I cleaned it after the break in use, but I think I have gone 4 months and hundreds of rounds and I still haven't gotten up the motivation to drag out all the cleaning stuff to do it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think a lot of people get too wrapped-up with the whole cleaning thing. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't take care of your guns, especially your carry gun. What I'm saying is that it's a tool, it's not a Purdy or a Merkel...you don't need to spend an hour lovingly cleaning the darn thing.

Spray it off with some brake-cleaner, scrub with a toothbrush to get any crud off, run a patch through the barrel, and then apply lube...simple as that. That takes like 5 minutes...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links