The Glock 19

This is a discussion on The Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, what are the down sides? That oft-repeated "grip angle" issue, which is purely a matter of taste (and to me at least, smacks of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Glock 19

So, what are the down sides? That oft-repeated "grip angle" issue, which is purely a matter of taste (and to me at least, smacks of searching for something to complain about).
    I agree with everything you wrote except for this here. When I quickly pull any firearm with an 11 degree grip angle up to eye level without thinking, the sights are vertically aligned. When I do the same thing with a Glock, it's aiming about ten inches high. If I need to use my weapon against a threat I want the one whose sights line up for me without thinking about it. This can be overcome with training, and I am considering a G19 as a new carry weapon for all of the other reasons you've mentioned, but the grip angle issue is a real functional issue and not simply something to gripe about as you claim.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I agree with everything you wrote except for this here. When I quickly pull any firearm with an 11 degree grip angle up to eye level without thinking, the sights are vertically aligned. When I do the same thing with a Glock, it's aiming about ten inches high.
    ...because you're used to 1911s. After a few range sessions, you can easily reprogram your grip angle memory.

The bigger point is people consider whatever they're used to as somehow objectively "natural."

OP -

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Can't believe I'm saying this but with all the ergo issues stated with the Glocks my G19 is still my most accurate shooter!

Nice post! In my opinion, Glock should be known for the G19 alone rather than the flagship G17. I also think the G19 is the best model, and I believe that far and wide, must be the most prolific pistol in the hands of civilians and law enforcement alike the world over. It seems to be the best package available with little compromise in the way of capacity, size, or conceal-ability. Ultimate reliability covers all of the Glock pistols. My G19 was the last Glock pistol I've purchased. It's the sixth Glock to go through these hands, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why I waited so long to get it. I shoot best with my G19 than any of my other Glocks, and it still retains the factory plastic sights. It actually got more holster time than my G27 this past summer and I conceal it almost as well. While I wouldn't trade my G27 for another G19, I wouldn't mind having more than one, and even the G23 seems more appealing to me now because of it. I've been to the brink of offering to trade my G22 for a G23 several times, but the night sites and my boat load of magazines I have for the G22 seemed to have held me back. I did offer the trade once to someone in state wanting to sell a G23, but I got no reply out of that. If the right deal came along, I might just still trade my G22 (with a lot of hi-cap mags and some ten round mags, full steel guide rod, factory guide rod, plug, and Trijicon night sites) for a G23 with stock sights and at least six hi-cap mags. You never know. (hint....hint). ;)

AFAIC, when you take all the different issues into consideration, the G19 is the best fighting handgun available...not "one of the best," THE best.

Mine has around 15k through it w/o a single malfunction that was not attributable to bad ammo (and I don't baby the thing). I switched to the 19 from a 1911 and have never looked back.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I love the reactions I get at the range when I bust out the 33 round magazine!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Well my name kinda says my oppion on it. The G19 was the first handgun I ever bought. It has been on my side on and off duty ever since. 8 years and well over 2000 rounds later it still fires just like it was its first time being loaded.

I've had and sold 3 Glocks 22/26/27 there just not for me.
    With that being said I can't disagree with OPFOR post. A 19 may find it's way into my collection one day(I can't believe I said that).
    Easily one of the best out there.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OPFOR

Very well written and very true, +1.

I only own one Block at the moment, have owned a few over the years, and it's a 19. It's not my "favorite", not "pretty" and I can't have it "customized" by Bowen, Cunningham or any of the other "Big Name" 'smiths, but it will get the job done out of the box.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    ...because you're used to 1911s. After a few range sessions, you can easily reprogram your grip angle memory.

The bigger point is people consider whatever they're used to as somehow objectively "natural."
    I only got into shooting centerfires a few years ago and that's the way it was before I had ever fired a 1911. When I walked into the gun store and picked up both weapons, the Glock aimed high and the 1911s didn't. I was actually most used to shooting a Ruger MK II growing up, which has a grip angle just as pronounced as Glock. Now do I agree, that issue can be overcome by training, but it is still a legitimate issue.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I've had my Glock 19 for a couple of years now, and before that, I carried my Glock 22. This past Saturday I put a second Glock 19 on layaway. I thought about getting the Lone Wolf barrel conversion to make my G22 a 9mm, but I wanted the same feel, weight, sights, etc, so I just decided to get another G19.
    If I die from gunfire, it won't be from a lack of shooting back.

nice review

I love my 19. Carry almost exclusively but when I carry others, it is almost always another glock. I agree, it might not be the prettiest but I think it is pretty in its elegant simplicity. It always goes bang and doesnt complain when I sweat all over it and forget to clean it after the range trip. A magnificent weapon IMO.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

OPFOR:

Great post! Now ya make me want a G19 to round out my G17-G26 stable.....LOL

Anyway, glad to hear from you, and STAY SAFE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links