Help choosing a gun

This is a discussion on Help choosing a gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New member and first post, but not totally new to firearms. I am going to be getting my CCW here in the next couple months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a gun

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Help choosing a gun

New member and first post, but not totally new to firearms.

I am going to be getting my CCW here in the next couple months and was out gun shopping the last couple days. I was going to just get a High Point 9m because of price until i handeled it and found out how heavy it was. I went to a local shop and was looking at the selection and the saleman told me to look a the P22, I held it, it felt good but the fact that it is a .22 is a deal breaker. I do not want something heavy but I want something effective. My budget wont allow for me to get a Glock (I had one years ago, wish I never sold it) or any other high priced firearm, $350 is the most I will be able to spend and still have the extra money for the class and sheriffs fee. I have always been a semi auto man but the guy showed me some revolvers and that has opened my horizons, just not sure about 6 bullets to 10 + extra clip. I know I need something that will last for years to come, when I had my Glock, it babied it and kept it clean as can be. I also need something comfortable to carry since I made multiple trips a year out of state (from looking, the places I travel through up to my destination accepts Ohios permit) and want something that wont be a pain to wear on a long car trip.

Some insight from you all would be great. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum.

The most common advise you'll get here will be:

Go to a range where you can rent some guns, and shoot a whole bunch of them to figure out what you like, and shoot, the best.

In your price range, you should seriously consider looking at used guns. You can't get a heck of a lot in a new firearm from a major manufacturer for under $350 except for stuff like Hi-Point or Rossi, which is famous for being junk. (not to insult anyone that carries one, though...)

You said you wanted something lightweight, and effective (which I assume means "of a good man-stopper caliber").

With that criteria, I'd check out a used Springfield XD, Glock, or other polymer-framed pistol in 9mm.
    I personally prefer a larger caliber (*cough*.45ACP*cough*) but practice is incredably important, and if you're already on a tight budget, you should pick a caliber you can AFFORD to practice with.
    9mm, with good hollowpoints (such as Federal's HST or Speer's Gold Dot) is an acceptable manstopper around, and practice ammo can be had very inexpensively.

But again, I stress: Go shoot some guns and see what you like, and what you can shoot well with. In your price range, look at used guns. Shoot it before you buy it.

Just my inflation-adjusted two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Edit:

After I made this post, I googled a bit, and sure enough, you can get some decent guns brand new around $350:

Ruger P89
    S&W model 910
    S&W SW9VE
    A little closer to $400:
    Ruger SR9

Any of those would probably meet your criteria. I'd seriously consider that Ruger SR9.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I have shot Rugers and Jennings (can we say Jennings was junk for me) and owned a Glock 19, not counting when I was a range member the guns I rented. I was thinking of getting a Smith and Wesson .357 revolver, but the whole 5 or 6 shots compared to 10 has me in debate. I did look a the XD line a few minutes ago and I maybe able to add the 50 to the budget to get one of them since I found them new for 400. I would consider a used gun, but I am always afraid of getting a bad peice, it has happened once before.

My main concern is having something that is not going to be left at home because I cant stand the weight or cant conceal it well enough and also something that will stop an attacker in the event I need it, which is why I am not really wanting to consier the .22 that the saleman tried to sell me.

VIP Member
    +1 on what Pete said. Find a range that rents guns and see what works for you in the price range you can afford.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree with you 100% about not carrying a .22 for self defense, and that a gun left at home isn't very useful to you.

Read my edited post above with some suggestions in your price range.

If you could stand to drop $439, here's an XD in .40 with some gear.

Also, here's a factory-refurbished Glock .40 (model G22) with a 1 year warranty, three 15-round mags, night sights, and paperwork for $400.

Good luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    I want to make a couple of points-- Forget the P22 for self defense unless that really is all you can afford and are willing to risk it. I also don't like the gun because the safety is "upside down" as compared with 1911 models.
    But if you get a p22, if nothing else, you will be able to afford to practice a lot with a P22; I use it more and more now for the range--which brings me to the second point.

Ammo is now twice or more expensive than it was a few years ago. I was at the range today and went through 100 rounds of .40 and .380. Both are selling in the 17 buck range for 50 rounds. That gets expensive real fast.
    Same for 38 sp, it is fairly expensive as is .45

So, if money is an issue and you have implied that it is, consider a good used 9; e.g. XD 9 sub compact. You will save twice. Once on the gun purchase and once on the ammo, which was about 30% less costly than the other stuff I was shooting.

Being newly retired, I am shooting less, not more, because of the drastic increase in ammo cost. (It makes no economic sense, but it is a good excuse for me to buy another gun in 9.)

If you are serious about carry, consider looking for a 9 mm you can easily put in your pocket; maybe a used Kahr.

I think buying in the used market from a reputable dealer and staying with 9 mm is the most sensible combo if you are really trying to keep cost down.

I am partial to .380 and to .40; but that is just me, and I probably should just use my head instead of my heart and trade* in my .40 for a 9. (I won't part with my Colt .380 but unfortunately the ammo is a bit pricey.)

*I had such a good time this afternoon with the .40 this isn't really an option.

Summit Gunbroker has used Glock gen 3s for $395 or Gen 2s for $385

Save for a little longer and get a Glock.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    justherenow, welcome from North Carolina. Whatever gun you decide on will carry much better if you invest in a good belt (Beltman.com) and a good holster. I carry a stainless steel S&W 1911 and seldom notice the weight.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to keep my research going, it is going to take some savings for me to buy anything. So I am not hearing anything about revolvers, so I am assuming its best to avoid them?

Plus one more for buying quality, you will never be sorry. Also, you might want so seriously consider a pre-owned weapon, but I too would stay away from .22's as a defensive weapon.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Get a used Glock...it'll still be good for 200,000 rounds...and then you'll probably have to break down and clean it...

I'd rather buy a used Glock (9mm or .45) than a new .22 or any make.

The above advice of going to rent a few is worth think about.

Stay armed...choose your options carefully...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can get a new Steyr in 9mm or 40S&W for 339.00 at CDNN. Search on this forum for Steyr, there is a current thread running on the topic. Steyr-Mannlicher is well know for their rifles but are no slouch in the handgun department either.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

While I know many dont approve of keltec why hasn't anyone mentioned them? Their 9mm are light weight and affordable, in the price range the OP is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    While I know many dont approve of keltec why hasn't anyone mentioned them? Their 9mm are light weight and affordable, in the price range the OP is looking for.
    Because I just shot one last weekend. As a BUG maybe I didn't enjoy shooting the 9mm. The handgrip corners were very sharp with the recoil of that size frame.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

You guys are giving some great feedback. Sorry if I am slow to reply, using a cell phone to surf until I get my computer back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links