I think I made a mistake with the M&P

This is a discussion on I think I made a mistake with the M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be receiving my CCW and went to buy a Glock 26. After getting to the store I saw a S&W M&P compact ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I made a mistake with the M&P

I think I made a mistake with the M&P

I'm going to be receiving my CCW and went to buy a Glock 26. After getting to the store I saw a S&W M&P compact 9mm. I compared the two and liked the M&P better so I ended up putting it on lay-a-way. After getting home I did some research on the M&P and see some problems. Just looking at mp-pistol.com and reading the subjects it's easy to find all sorts of posts about problems. It seems that people have no problems and they love the gun or the gun has problems for others.

It seems like you just don't read problems about the 26. Am I missing something? I feel like I want to exchange the M&P for the 26.

I never dreamed trying to figure out what gun to carry would be so stressful.

2. Remove Ads

i made the same mistake. mine had feed issues. look into a walther PPS.

a thought most (including myself) never consider is this

do i want to carry this gun all the time ? how heavy is it ? is it double stack or single stack ? do i want the same trigger pull every time (yes) or do i want double action single action ? can i effectively hide this weapon without printing ?

ive owned the M&P and a glock 26. both great guns, both "chunk" guns.

i ended up getting a walther PPS in 9mm, check one out, its similiar in feel to a glock but incredibly easy to carry and conceal.

I got the m and p compact 9 about a month ago maybe 500 rnds..no problems...I'm guessing the ones w/ the issues were when they 1st came out.I would say,if you can afford it....try it out ,you can always trade it back in(at a loss of course).for the record,I sold my glock 17 to get the m and p..the 17 was always too big for my hands.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    I compared the two and liked the M&P better so I ended up putting it on lay-a-way.
    Does that mean that you cannot tell them that you want to NOT buy it? It has never been taken out of the store, transferred into your name or anything. I would think you would be able to "return" it, or at the least, swap it out for another gun.

Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    I never dreamed trying to figure out what gun to carry would be so stressful.
    If you read some of the "What gun should I buy" posts, you will see you are not alone. Your best bet is to go to a range and rent all the different models you are considering and get on some of the forums looking for issues.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Does that mean that you cannot tell them that you want to NOT buy it? It has never been taken out of the store, transferred into your name or anything. I would think you would be able to "return" it, or at the least, swap it out for another gun.
    It's on lay-a-way and it's not a problem taking it off and getting something different. That's why I need to decide if this is the one I want before I take it from store.

yea, don't rush it. you always lose big bucks when you buy a gun you dont like and try to sell it or, worse yet. trade it in. my m&p was a brand new 2008 model

First off, I am biased towards Glocks, I've had a few and have never had a problem with any of them. IMO, you can't go wrong with a Glock.

But, the thing about internet forums is that all the people that get good guns don't run to the internet telling everyone. If you get a bad gun however, the first thing people do is jump on the particular forum and start a thread, "OMG What's wrong with my gun," "Is this normal for a _____", "Problem with model ___, need help."

It may seem like there is more problems than there actually is.

And it only makes sense that the first model to come out of any gun is more prone to be problematic since it hasn't been "field tested" so to speak.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Don't Fret

I had to send my M&P9C back to S&W to replace the mag catch.
    In earlier models they used an inferior material on the catch which they corrected.
    I was not the original owner and they still fixed it w/no charge.
    Since then I've fired close to 400 rounds w/o a problem.
    Seems that the issue has been resolved.
    What you will find now is a sweet shooter & a very concealable gun.
    I have medium size hands and I've shot the G26 and didn't really care for it. I wound up purchasing the G19. Still the M&P feels the best of the two IMHO.

I've got a 9c and have several hundred rounds through it without a hiccup. I tried to buy the 26 and after several fondlings, I could not get it to feel comfortable in my hand. The M&P felt much better. It seems like the Glocks are pretty much problem free and you won't go wrong buying one. I got my 9c because I had a Bersa .380 that broke on me and I couldn't trust it. I do know that if you do have a problem, S&W will take care of you promptly. I like to tell people in these situations that despite some of the brightest minds in the country, we lost a couple of space shuttles. Mechanical things break.

What were the reasons you picked the M&Pc over the G26? Did it feel better in your hand? If you had a chance to shoot both, did the M&Pc work better for you?

You can always find bad stuff on things in gun forums, but in the end it comes down to you and what you'd feel comfortable with. If I was you I'd still get the M&Pc and put it through its paces. You may never run into any issues at all. But if you're concerned about reliability issues now, then just get the G26 instead. Just don't think the G26 will be perfect by any means - you could get a lemon with the Glock, and you won't know until you get some range time.

I am a M&Pc owner, and I've had no issues with about 400 rounds fired, though that is a small sample.

i have a M&P 40c and it is a newer model after 3-4,000 rounds it started dropping mags only with my carry ammo. i changed the mag catch and same thing. i think the frame is flexing under the speer gold dots? anyhow it is a safe queen now and i purchased and carry a Kimber ultra carry II 1911 and simply love it no more M&P's for carry for me maybe range time but not carry

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I had one of the earlier M&P's and also had the mag cache problem. S&W sent me the new cache and no more problem. I have over 5,000 rounds through it and no malfunctions. Get the M&P, you won't regret it. Any problems at all and S&W WILL fix it free of charge.

And yes, while one person goes and rants about how their gun is junk, thousands of other owners are happy. The curse of the Internet. Example: Glocks will explode due to their faulty chamber support, they are inaccurate, malfunction, and have hard recoil. See, what I mean? BTW, I wouldn't buy a Glock, but I would have no problem using one if I didn't have a choice.

+1 for the PPS! I love mine.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    I have about 1000 rounds through my M&P with no problems!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I have and carry a M&P40c and have never had any issues with any mag in over 1500 rounds. I know 8 other people who have the same gun or the 9mm version and they have had no problems. They are great guns, darn accurate and very little recoil.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I had the mag catch problem after about 500-600 rounds.

Sent it in. M&P replaced it free of charge.
    I am now at about 1,000 rounds without a hiccup except for some really cra..., er, cheap ammo the range sold me.

Great gun. Love it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links