Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun. - Page 2

Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

This is a discussion on Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You need to read up on local SD laws. I wouldn't advise pulling a firearm in a fist fight. If you shoot it looks pretty ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

You need to read up on local SD laws. I wouldn't advise pulling a firearm in a fist fight. If you shoot it looks pretty bad. You might re-think the places you visit. Maybe get a motorbike so you are not walking. learn some good self defense and stay alert. Find out if your going to spend 30 years in a Panama prison for defending yourself before purchasing a CCW!
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Expandle baton maybe???
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Yeah, Make sure you check the laws regarding carry there too. I know that I'd desperately want to carry, but if you think living around there is tough, I can only imagine what the Panamanian prisons are like, and some of these countries will lock you up for years for something silly.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
    Police here suck, and are more likely to side with the gang. The police are just 20 years olds etc, with uzis, on dirtbikes. And they are corrupt like you wouldn't believe, just walk up and demanded a penalty fine from me the other day for not carrying my passport. I put him on the phone to my lawyer and he promptly dropped the idea.
    Soooo... what do you think will happen when a foreigner shoots a Panamanian?

I like the dog idea, and if you can get yourself to the U.S. for some training, I think you will benefit a lot.

Also, I think OPFOR has spent some time in Panama, maybe he will chime in with valued info.

As for the gun, stick with whats popular there. A G19 would be my first choice, followed by a G26 assuming I could not find an ample supply of my beloved Sigs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I googled "Panama Gun Laws" and came up with a whole bunch of links. This is the first one Panama Gun Laws - Articles and Information from our Law Firm

"Panama Gun Laws

Introduction – This article is written for the Ex-Pat who has legally become a resident of the Republic of Panama and wishes to acquire a firearm. We will walk you through the process. Tourists can not acquire firearms in Panama. You must have a residency or be a Pensionado. You do not need to retain a lawyer to purchase a gun. If you have permission to buy the firearm you can carry it concealed on your person, in your pocket or purse, in your vehicle etc. Certain buildings have a firearms prohibited sign on the entrance and of course you should obey these signs. Banks, airports, government offices have such signs. So there are no concealed carry permits in Panama, if you can buy the gun lawfully you can carry it concealed. Exposed carry of the firearm is not allowed and will cause police attention fast.

Types of Guns in Panama – You can buy handguns (semi-auto handguns, revolvers), rifles and shotguns. You can have hi-capacity magazines in any type gun, no restrictions. You can not have full-auto firearms. You can have semi-auto rifles and handguns. You can not have a silencer. Guns are costly in Panama, figure 50% higher than North America on name brand guns like Ruger, Sig Sauer, Smith, Remington, etc. Gun dealers generally do not have a large inventory in Panama. Expect to see 10 or so rifles and shotguns in stock and perhaps as many handguns. Many of the guns will be cheapies from Argentina and Russia. The dealer can order you what you want but expect a wait of 2-3 months or more then add in the time for the permission to buy the gun to go through.

The Gun Buying Process in Panama – First you go to the gun store and prove to them you are eligible to buy a firearm by way of Residency, Pensionado, etc. Next you select a gun and pay for it. Then the gun store will have you go to the bathroom and pee in a cup which is a medical sample cup. Then you will be given a form to take to a government health office for a finger ***** blood test – DNA sample. Plan on a wait to get your blood sample. Next the gun store sends the paperwork through the police system. It goes to three departments and can take 6-10 weeks to clear. When it is complete you get the gun. More than one gun can be bought at the same time. You also get a gun permit which is a folded piece of green cardboard paper which a photo on it. You can enter up to 10 guns on the permit. Panama does not limit amount of guns so if you earn more than 10 guns an additional listing page will be provided for the permit. The police will take ballistic sample of a fired round.

Sawed off Shotguns and Short Barreled Rifles – These are legal in Panama. They are not sold that way but can be modified by a gunsmith to suit. Pistol grip shotguns with no shoulder stock are generally available in the stores with an 18” barrel and a large magazine underneath. Double barrel shotguns are available and of course can easily be shortened by a gunsmith; you could even add a choke so the short barrel groups tight. Short barrel rifles can also be created by a gunsmith but the purpose of this is hard to determine other than slightly reducing the barrel length on an assault rifle but in any event it is lawful. I guess some want to do it because they could not do so in their home country?

Ammo- No armor piercing ammo allowed. Hollow points, high speed light weight defensive rounds etc. are fine.

Firearm Importation into Panama – This is possible. Generally this appeals to Americans since they seem to have lots of firearms. You go to a gun store and get their assistance. You apply for an importation permit which is something like the same process for a purchase if you do not already have a permit. It is easier if you have a permit. Then you get permission to import the weapon into Panama. There can be problems and restrictions shipping a firearm from other countries like the USA which require the services of a licensed gun dealer able to export. You would Fed Ex the unloaded gun with paperwork from USA and Panama to Panama. Then you would hope for the best and that things sort themselves out before the gun rusts out in some non-climate controlled government warehouse somewhere. You will be required to pay an import duty which can be steep. A customs broker would be best source for costs on this, we do not know but a guess would be 50% of the value – is it new or used, etc. We are a law firm not a customs broker. If you have a question about bringing in some rare special gun like a Browning Safari Grade Rifle or a Heckler and Koch squeeze cocker handgun we really have no idea what the taxes will be. First become eligible for buy a gun and then retain a customs broker. Suggestion: Skip the importation process, buy a gun in Panama.

Ranges – There are an ample amount of indoor handgun ranges and outdoor ranges. No worries.

Knives – You can carry concealed knives. Do not carry an exposed sheath knife in the city – asking for trouble from the police. There are no blade size restrictions. You can carry butterfly knives, automatic knifes, gravity or flick knives, out the front knives, double edge folders (carry Band-Aids) whatever kind of knife. Most of the available knives are the cheapos, sometime you see a medium grade product like a Smith and Wesson knife. Bring your good knives with you, not in carry on. Do not take knives into government buildings, airports, banks and other restricted places. It will come up on the metal detector.

Pepper Spray – Readily available small canisters. No permits needed. Decent quality, not gourmet pepper spray but effective enough.

Swords, Tonfas, Batons, Billy Clubs, Staffs, Nunchukas – All readily available and not restricted.

Panama is a very safe country and you probably will never need to use your firearm to defend yourself.

Legal Disclaimer – Nothing in this website including this page is to be construed as legal advice. For legal advice go see a lawyer. When we say a weapon is readily available and so forth we mean it can be purchased and possessed. Usage is an entirely other matter with complex legal implications – go see a lawyer for legal advice. Carrying weapons into government buildings, airports, embassies, consulates and other restricted places can cause immediate legal problems of a serious nature – ask a lawyer for legal advice."

All in all, not too bad if you ask me. Sounds like universal CCW. If you can buy a gun, you can carry it concealed. I like that!

Whisky19

EW3
    I thought Panama would be one of those countries that only allowed firearms up to .380 ACP, but I look to be wrong.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    Panama Gun Laws
    The Gun Buying Process in Panama – First you go to the gun store and prove to them you are eligible to buy a firearm by way of Residency, Pensionado, etc. Next you select a gun and pay for it. Then the gun store will have you go to the bathroom and pee in a cup which is a medical sample cup. Then you will be given a form to take to a government health office for a finger ***** blood test – DNA sample. Plan on a wait to get your blood sample. Next the gun store sends the paperwork through the police system. It goes to three departments and can take 6-10 weeks to clear. When it is complete you get the gun.
    WOW and people complain about the 3-5 day waiting period in the US. Guess we don't have it so bad after all
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last time I was there had a M16 4 30rd mags and 2 frags and still didnt feel secure if I was you id get the heck out or move toward the US Army base Near Panama City think its FT.David cant remember getting old. you are in the wild west. Police are absolutly corrupt . But at least in the Military community there will be some order and you wont have to worry about gangs.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I think your best bet would be to find out who you can pay to keep these guys off of your back. It seems to be pretty corrupt and you will eventually be robbed or worse. Might be the best $20 a week you will spend. If these hoods see that you have a gun they will find a way to take it from you. If the price for a legal gun is great, imagine what it will fetch in the black market? Watch your back! I dont see this ending well.

panama

go get a glock, the german sheapard, and lots of ammo and
    doggie treats. stay safe and keep us posted.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
    Ok and I'm telling people this is what happened. if you don't believe me, frankly... I couldn't give a ****. I've got nothing to gain from winning your trust, who are you?

I want to know what gun is good for concealed carry in light clothing, I don't want a body guard following me around, and I'm not going to taxi everywhere, why... because I enjoy walking...
    For your purposes probably one of the J Frame Smith And Wessons or perhaps a Ruger SP101 with 2-1/4" barrel.

i was curious so did a simple google search and found this:

Panama has private firearm ownership. As a resident or citizen you can get one too. If you can purchase the gun you can carry it concealed on your person in your car etc. This is a typical scenario in several countries. In the USA a handgun to me was like Karl Malden and the American Express Card - never leave home without it, and while home rest assured one was always very close by. In Panama it is nice to not have to carry a gun - not needed. If you want a gun you can readily have one in Panama. Remember Panama is under Roman Law. If you shoot or kill a person even a home intruder or a person in a traffic accident you can be incarcerated by the police during which they investigate the death. I am told there is a usual 7 day limit on this. There is also the crime of passion exception to murder. If you came to find your spouse engaging in sex with another and you killed them both it would be a walk under crime of passion but you may have to go to jail for a few days while the investigation took place. Remember you are not in Kansas anymore. Having an unregistered gun will result in a trip to the jail.

source: Overview of Living in Panama - Crime and Safety

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Try some alternatives to the Gun right now as you really dont have a choice.
    Learn to be more aware of your Scenarios, What about a Knife, They may not have a Gun either. Learn to not carry more than you can stand to lose ,or avoid these areas. I understand your feelings of wanting to be able to go where and when you want , or how you get there. However none of this Jibber Jabber is worth your Life. The ones who carry everyday sometimes forget what its like to not have it on. We are spoiled in Contrast to other places in the World. Stay Safe and God Speed.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Try some alternatives to the Gun right now as you really dont have a choice.
    Learn to be more aware of your Scenarios, What about a Knife, They may not have a Gun either. Learn to not carry more than you can stand to lose ,or avoid these areas. I understand your feelings of wanting to be able to go where and when you want , or how you get there. However none of this Jibber Jabber is worth your Life. The ones who carry everyday sometimes forget what its like to not have it on. We are spoiled in Contrast to other places in the World. Stay Safe and God Speed.
    Thanks, been thinking about an expandable baton. I think someone mentioned it in this thread. Would probably save a lot of legal trouble...

Good Advice

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    I'm a bit skeptical myself. I've been to Panama several times and have always felt fairly safe. I don't walk around in Panama City, however. That might be a different story. I have a sister in law from there and she goes every year for a month or two and doesn't have problems.

I can say one thing for certain. There are taxis everywhere and they are dirt cheap. Take a taxi instead of walking and your problems will go away.
    Years ago, I received the same advice in another country a bit farther south. On foot, a well-dressed citizen or any person appearing foreign is a mark, especially in certain parts of the city. I was also warned not to flash cash anywhere - it could get you killed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links