Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

This is a discussion on Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tons of great advice in previous posts, don't want to be repetitive (so I'll try not to be). I've spent most of the last 10 ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

Gotta love Central America

Tons of great advice in previous posts, don't want to be repetitive (so I'll try not to be). I've spent most of the last 10 years living/working in some of the more wretched Central American and Mexican slums (gotta love the wonderful places the security industry takes you...currently in the middle east but will back to your neck of the woods before too long I hope) and have not yet had to get into a gunfight with one of the gangs around my living area (though they do seem to enjoy them, perhaps it's the lack of fear of consequence due to the netoriously poor police standards throughout the region). I have no problem pulling the trigger if absolutely neccesary, but you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that the police usually side with the gangs (read: locals). Also, the street gangs (even the less "dangerous" ones) almost always vastly outnumber you and your family and they will most likely come to visit (or from the sounds of it, just wait at that bridge that is the only way back to your house) if you shoot one or more of them. Short story is if you plan to live there (and stay alive/out of jail) you may want to look at either moving to a more secure area (also more expensive) or making "friends" with both the police and the locals and keep your CCW concealed until there is no other option to save your life or that of your family...and then you better have a plan ready to go on how you are going to get out of there before the revenge party comes. Should probably also make friends/aquaintances with the UK consulate should the situation require that you exit rapidly. All the standard blend in, low profile, don't carry anthing you can't afford to lose stuff obviously applies, but you're British not Panamanian so you have to be realistic about how well you'll blend and the fact that everyone around there knows who you are (or at the minimum that you're not from there) and where you live. Avoidance in this situation could very likely be the key survival in your situation so you may want to start sharpening those counter-surveillance skills, watch for people taking undue/excesive interest in you, and aviod them long before you get to the point where they can attack you. It may mean taking an hour or so longer to get home or go to the market, but all things considered that is a small price to pay for your safety.

While this isn't a very CCW intensive post on my part I feel that your situation will not be easily handled with only a weapon and that your situation will rapidly deteriorate if you try to solve it with a weapon. Again, if it's a question of survival there is no question. Just make sure that you are doing everything possible to avoid that situation. Don't get me wrong, it really flames me when I have to let some little punks get one over on me (or at least think they have when they get my fake wallet that has a small amount of currency, just enough to be believable, and scrap receipts and such with no personal identification) but I can always take that feeling out on the heavy bag later once the danger has passed. Best of luck to you, hope some of this is useful to you.

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array SigSauerp229.40's Avatar

Angry

Hello,

You being foreigner, gonna have a hard time getting your gun permit in here in Panama; I am local and had to do: drug test, psyco test, shooting school, thisto renew my permit[which is concealed carry]. I waited for my first permit almost 6 months and this renewal is taking close to 4 now.

I have NO idea where you live that you have to cross a bridge, no such place comes to mind here in the city and walking, even less.

To the rest talking about a country that maybe you know about because of the news, shut up, the US is as corrupted as any other country in the world or worst.

At least we welcome every sucker running away from the high cost of living in their respective countries even though your countries put so much red tape for us to even go visit less to own a gun, when I was married to a US citizen and being a legal US resident, I was not allowed to own a gun, wasn't even allowed to take self defense or CQB classes.

Let's keep the badmouthing of others home country to a minimum and respect above all.

why did you choose a 4 year old thread to make your first post?

Ford the record, when you married a US citizen and gained legal status here, you because protected under our Constitution.. which means you should have been allowed to own a firearm.

and panama and most of central america is FAR FAR worse than most locations in the US.. ive been to Chicago, New York, lived in Detroit, Saginaw, and Flint (the top 3 most dangerous cities). Nothing compares to the gang run cities of Central America..

New Member Array SigSauerp229.40's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    why did you choose a 4 year old thread to make your first post?

Ford the record, when you married a US citizen and gained legal status here, you because protected under our Constitution.. which means you should have been allowed to own a firearm.

and panama and most of central america is FAR FAR worse than most locations in the US.. ive been to Chicago, New York, lived in Detroit, Saginaw, and Flint (the top 3 most dangerous cities). Nothing compares to the gang run cities of Central America..
    It caught my eye and FYI, it's FOR THE RECORD not FORD the record

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauerp229.40 View Post
    Hello,

You being foreigner, gonna have a hard time getting your gun permit in here in Panama; I am local and had to do: drug test, psyco test, shooting school, thisto renew my permit[which is concealed carry]. I waited for my first permit almost 6 months and this renewal is taking close to 4 now.

I have NO idea where you live that you have to cross a bridge, no such place comes to mind here in the city and walking, even less.

To the rest talking about a country that maybe you know about because of the news, shut up, the US is as corrupted as any other country in the world or worst.

At least we welcome every sucker running away from the high cost of living in their respective countries even though your countries put so much red tape for us to even go visit less to own a gun, when I was married to a US citizen and being a legal US resident, I was not allowed to own a gun, wasn't even allowed to take self defense or CQB classes.

Let's keep the badmouthing of others home country to a minimum and respect above all.
    Do you realize you revived a thread from FOUR YEARS AGO?
    sioux565 likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauerp229.40 View Post
    Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links