Defensive Carry banner

Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

24K views 65 replies 49 participants last post by  sioux565 
#1 ·
Moved to Panama from the UK a couple of months ago. Have been attemptedly robbed by the same gang, twice now.

First time I just told them to screw off and they did.

Second time, I thought one of them had a taser or something of that nature, turns out it was his mobile phone held like it was a gun/etc.

After the second time, I walked away to get food. And the only way back to my apartment is over the same bridge. So I bought a big metal hammer from the 24 hour store, and walked back.

They weren't there.

Anyhow, I've got an order on a German Shepherd, and a lot of Panamanians are afraid of big dogs. But until that grows up, I need a gun.

Police here suck, and are more likely to side with the gang. The police are just 20 years olds etc, with uzis, on dirtbikes. And they are corrupt like you wouldn't believe, just walk up and demanded a penalty fine from me the other day for not carrying my passport. I put him on the phone to my lawyer and he promptly dropped the idea.

Anyway, back to my point. I always wear light clothes here, trousers and a t-shirt at most. So I need a relatively small, kinda thin gun so I can carry it without it being seen. But also, I don't wanna take out a pea shooter, escalate the situation and then have them take out god knows what.

Any idea's?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey,

Getting residency soon as I've bought a place, went in a few gun shops before, but these events have turned made me to think more about getting one.

The gun shops sell, as far as I could tell, mainly glocks and .38 revolvers.

Legally, I believe it is any gun other than a full auto.

I'm leaning more towards glock, I guess my main question is how small a glock. If it's correct that the easier to conceal, the less effective as I go down the glock range... I'm wanting advice on what is manageable to carry in light clothing.

And I'd rather have something I'll take out each time, like house keys, than leave in a sock drawer.

Thanks

#4 ·
If that's what you're stuck with, you can't beat a G-19. Great capacity for the size. I've got two, one for each daughter. I hate them, but they carry them daily. What are the carry laws there? Much better than the UK I imagine!

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
Get a Glock 26 or 27 better yet get 2 of which ever you decide:comeandgetsome:

#7 ·
"Before any of us lucky citizens can respond...what are your legal options?"

And you may check the self defense laws...anyhow, sounds like you need a large caliber/capacity carry piece, a BUG, powerful carry flashlight and knife in your boot. Also, get some training from someone, so you're not just lugging around a big security blanket. Then, as any post encounter publicity (provided you survive) would inform the rest of the gang members where you live, you probably should get other, long guns, house security system...and a grown, trained dog. Have fun shopping!

#8 ·
Yeh, I may buy a Colt m1911, but mainly for target practice and fun at the local range.

I'm not sure I'd get away with a m1911, in light clothing.

Thanks for the Glock recommendations, looking into them all.

P.S. What are the standard rules on when it is acceptable to unholster a gun? It seems I may encounter a fair few situations here in Panama, been here 3 months and had 3 already (one I didn't mention above). --- If 2 guys are throwing punches, like they were tonight (hit me in face, but his punch was remarkably weak as it was the young guy who did it and I could tell he was kinda scared and just showing off in front of older guys).

Anyway, say they're throwing punches, would you unholster, point and tell him to back off... or only pull out the gun if I'm in more serious danger.

#10 ·
I have no idea what the requirements are for the use of deadly force where you are, but here in MN you have to be unable to safely retreat, be in fear of death or great bodily harm, and be an unwilling participant in the situation. I would check into your local laws right away.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a G26 for hot weather carry. You have up to a 13 round capacity in a nice, lightweight, easy to conceal package, plus the reliability and corrosion resistance are very good. Good luck.

#12 ·
You mentioned that "...I put him on the phone to my lawyer..." That person, your lawyer, is the one who can inform you about laws regarding carry and use of lethal force--make another phone call rather than seeking the info here.

Reactions: blitzburgh
#13 ·
I find this post rather interesting.

You are in a foreign country. Pretty much everyone here knows what it is like to carry and obey the laws in America and what the legal system is here, but I don't think too many of us know what it is like in Panama. You are going to need to do your homework. But it sounds like it is so corrupt down there, that laws really don't matter much any how.

Maybe you can answer a few questions. Are you an American citizen living there or a Panamanian native? Why are you there? Do you need to stay there or is moving to a "more civilized" country an option?

Glocks are great options. You did not mention your size. I am rather small so a G19 prints pretty heavily on me. A G26 is perfect for me. It holds a few less rounds, but it is a great gun.

#15 ·
I'd get the Glock 26 or the Glock-36...both are easy to conceal.
I'd also completely research the gun laws and SD matters as they pertain to you...sounds as if you may also want to have the phone number of a 'good' lawyer (you really know and trust) who can guide you through the corrupt system if you should shoot someone saving your own life.

Doesn't sound like a place I would want to live...but hey, anything has to beat the UK.

Stay armed...know a good lawyer...stay safe!

#16 ·
You need to read up on local SD laws. I wouldn't advise pulling a firearm in a fist fight. If you shoot it looks pretty bad. You might re-think the places you visit. Maybe get a motorbike so you are not walking. learn some good self defense and stay alert. Find out if your going to spend 30 years in a Panama prison for defending yourself before purchasing a CCW!

#18 ·
Yeah, Make sure you check the laws regarding carry there too. I know that I'd desperately want to carry, but if you think living around there is tough, I can only imagine what the Panamanian prisons are like, and some of these countries will lock you up for years for something silly.

#19 ·
Police here suck, and are more likely to side with the gang. The police are just 20 years olds etc, with uzis, on dirtbikes. And they are corrupt like you wouldn't believe, just walk up and demanded a penalty fine from me the other day for not carrying my passport. I put him on the phone to my lawyer and he promptly dropped the idea.
Soooo... what do you think will happen when a foreigner shoots a Panamanian?

I like the dog idea, and if you can get yourself to the U.S. for some training, I think you will benefit a lot.

Also, I think OPFOR has spent some time in Panama, maybe he will chime in with valued info.

As for the gun, stick with whats popular there. A G19 would be my first choice, followed by a G26 assuming I could not find an ample supply of my beloved Sigs.

#20 ·
I googled "Panama Gun Laws" and came up with a whole bunch of links. This is the first one Panama Gun Laws - Articles and Information from our Law Firm

"Panama Gun Laws

Introduction – This article is written for the Ex-Pat who has legally become a resident of the Republic of Panama and wishes to acquire a firearm. We will walk you through the process. Tourists can not acquire firearms in Panama. You must have a residency or be a Pensionado. You do not need to retain a lawyer to purchase a gun. If you have permission to buy the firearm you can carry it concealed on your person, in your pocket or purse, in your vehicle etc. Certain buildings have a firearms prohibited sign on the entrance and of course you should obey these signs. Banks, airports, government offices have such signs. So there are no concealed carry permits in Panama, if you can buy the gun lawfully you can carry it concealed. Exposed carry of the firearm is not allowed and will cause police attention fast.

Types of Guns in Panama – You can buy handguns (semi-auto handguns, revolvers), rifles and shotguns. You can have hi-capacity magazines in any type gun, no restrictions. You can not have full-auto firearms. You can have semi-auto rifles and handguns. You can not have a silencer. Guns are costly in Panama, figure 50% higher than North America on name brand guns like Ruger, Sig Sauer, Smith, Remington, etc. Gun dealers generally do not have a large inventory in Panama. Expect to see 10 or so rifles and shotguns in stock and perhaps as many handguns. Many of the guns will be cheapies from Argentina and Russia. The dealer can order you what you want but expect a wait of 2-3 months or more then add in the time for the permission to buy the gun to go through.

The Gun Buying Process in Panama – First you go to the gun store and prove to them you are eligible to buy a firearm by way of Residency, Pensionado, etc. Next you select a gun and pay for it. Then the gun store will have you go to the bathroom and pee in a cup which is a medical sample cup. Then you will be given a form to take to a government health office for a finger ***** blood test – DNA sample. Plan on a wait to get your blood sample. Next the gun store sends the paperwork through the police system. It goes to three departments and can take 6-10 weeks to clear. When it is complete you get the gun. More than one gun can be bought at the same time. You also get a gun permit which is a folded piece of green cardboard paper which a photo on it. You can enter up to 10 guns on the permit. Panama does not limit amount of guns so if you earn more than 10 guns an additional listing page will be provided for the permit. The police will take ballistic sample of a fired round.

Sawed off Shotguns and Short Barreled Rifles – These are legal in Panama. They are not sold that way but can be modified by a gunsmith to suit. Pistol grip shotguns with no shoulder stock are generally available in the stores with an 18” barrel and a large magazine underneath. Double barrel shotguns are available and of course can easily be shortened by a gunsmith; you could even add a choke so the short barrel groups tight. Short barrel rifles can also be created by a gunsmith but the purpose of this is hard to determine other than slightly reducing the barrel length on an assault rifle but in any event it is lawful. I guess some want to do it because they could not do so in their home country?

Ammo- No armor piercing ammo allowed. Hollow points, high speed light weight defensive rounds etc. are fine.

Firearm Importation into Panama – This is possible. Generally this appeals to Americans since they seem to have lots of firearms. You go to a gun store and get their assistance. You apply for an importation permit which is something like the same process for a purchase if you do not already have a permit. It is easier if you have a permit. Then you get permission to import the weapon into Panama. There can be problems and restrictions shipping a firearm from other countries like the USA which require the services of a licensed gun dealer able to export. You would Fed Ex the unloaded gun with paperwork from USA and Panama to Panama. Then you would hope for the best and that things sort themselves out before the gun rusts out in some non-climate controlled government warehouse somewhere. You will be required to pay an import duty which can be steep. A customs broker would be best source for costs on this, we do not know but a guess would be 50% of the value – is it new or used, etc. We are a law firm not a customs broker. If you have a question about bringing in some rare special gun like a Browning Safari Grade Rifle or a Heckler and Koch squeeze cocker handgun we really have no idea what the taxes will be. First become eligible for buy a gun and then retain a customs broker. Suggestion: Skip the importation process, buy a gun in Panama.

Ranges – There are an ample amount of indoor handgun ranges and outdoor ranges. No worries.

Knives – You can carry concealed knives. Do not carry an exposed sheath knife in the city – asking for trouble from the police. There are no blade size restrictions. You can carry butterfly knives, automatic knifes, gravity or flick knives, out the front knives, double edge folders (carry Band-Aids) whatever kind of knife. Most of the available knives are the cheapos, sometime you see a medium grade product like a Smith and Wesson knife. Bring your good knives with you, not in carry on. Do not take knives into government buildings, airports, banks and other restricted places. It will come up on the metal detector.

Pepper Spray – Readily available small canisters. No permits needed. Decent quality, not gourmet pepper spray but effective enough.

Swords, Tonfas, Batons, Billy Clubs, Staffs, Nunchukas – All readily available and not restricted.

Panama is a very safe country and you probably will never need to use your firearm to defend yourself.

Legal Disclaimer – Nothing in this website including this page is to be construed as legal advice. For legal advice go see a lawyer. When we say a weapon is readily available and so forth we mean it can be purchased and possessed. Usage is an entirely other matter with complex legal implications – go see a lawyer for legal advice. Carrying weapons into government buildings, airports, embassies, consulates and other restricted places can cause immediate legal problems of a serious nature – ask a lawyer for legal advice."

All in all, not too bad if you ask me. Sounds like universal CCW. If you can buy a gun, you can carry it concealed. I like that!

Whisky19

#22 ·
Panama Gun Laws
The Gun Buying Process in Panama – First you go to the gun store and prove to them you are eligible to buy a firearm by way of Residency, Pensionado, etc. Next you select a gun and pay for it. Then the gun store will have you go to the bathroom and pee in a cup which is a medical sample cup. Then you will be given a form to take to a government health office for a finger ***** blood test – DNA sample. Plan on a wait to get your blood sample. Next the gun store sends the paperwork through the police system. It goes to three departments and can take 6-10 weeks to clear. When it is complete you get the gun.
WOW and people complain about the 3-5 day waiting period in the US. Guess we don't have it so bad after all:blink:

#21 ·
I thought Panama would be one of those countries that only allowed firearms up to .380 ACP, but I look to be wrong.

#23 ·
Last time I was there had a M16 4 30rd mags and 2 frags and still didnt feel secure if I was you id get the heck out or move toward the US Army base Near Panama City think its FT.David cant remember getting old. you are in the wild west. Police are absolutly corrupt . But at least in the Military community there will be some order and you wont have to worry about gangs.

#52 ·
I believe you're thinking of Fort Clayton.

.....and, as far as I know, the US no longer has any military installations in Panama. They were all turned over to the Panamanian government in 1999. (Thank you, Jimmy Carter...)

I was deployed to Panama in 1990, and spent four months working with the brand spanking new "Fuerza Publica de Panama", which at that time consisted of about half-and-half former PDF troops and "shake and bake" volunteers who got a whopping 20 HOURS of training before being thrown to the wolves.

The old guys were effective, but brutal. The new guys were kind and gentle, but ineffective. There were some notable exceptions, but since 18 years have passed, I'd imagine that those exceptions have been promoted off the street where they did some good....

I actually liked Panama and, left to my own devices, would retire there. My wife, however, has different ideas......

Anyway, my personal experience with Panamanian street criminals back then indicated that they had a MUCH lower level of aggressiveness than the average (even non-criminal) American, and shied away when aggressively confronted.

With the original poster being a Brit, though, YMMV.....

OC (pepper spray) CAN be effective. You just can't depend upon it to do the trick 100% of the time. Then again, the same can be said for any man-portable firearm....

#24 ·
I think your best bet would be to find out who you can pay to keep these guys off of your back. It seems to be pretty corrupt and you will eventually be robbed or worse. Might be the best $20 a week you will spend. If these hoods see that you have a gun they will find a way to take it from you. If the price for a legal gun is great, imagine what it will fetch in the black market? Watch your back! I dont see this ending well.:boese51:

#26 ·
Ok and I'm telling people this is what happened. if you don't believe me, frankly... I couldn't give a ****. I've got nothing to gain from winning your trust, who are you?

I want to know what gun is good for concealed carry in light clothing, I don't want a body guard following me around, and I'm not going to taxi everywhere, why... because I enjoy walking...
For your purposes probably one of the J Frame Smith And Wessons or perhaps a Ruger SP101 with 2-1/4" barrel.

#27 ·
i was curious so did a simple google search and found this:

Panama has private firearm ownership. As a resident or citizen you can get one too. If you can purchase the gun you can carry it concealed on your person in your car etc. This is a typical scenario in several countries. In the USA a handgun to me was like Karl Malden and the American Express Card - never leave home without it, and while home rest assured one was always very close by. In Panama it is nice to not have to carry a gun - not needed. If you want a gun you can readily have one in Panama. Remember Panama is under Roman Law. If you shoot or kill a person even a home intruder or a person in a traffic accident you can be incarcerated by the police during which they investigate the death. I am told there is a usual 7 day limit on this. There is also the crime of passion exception to murder. If you came to find your spouse engaging in sex with another and you killed them both it would be a walk under crime of passion but you may have to go to jail for a few days while the investigation took place. Remember you are not in Kansas anymore. Having an unregistered gun will result in a trip to the jail.

source: Overview of Living in Panama - Crime and Safety

#28 ·
:tumbleweed:Try some alternatives to the Gun right now as you really dont have a choice.
Learn to be more aware of your Scenarios, What about a Knife, They may not have a Gun either. Learn to not carry more than you can stand to lose ,or avoid these areas. I understand your feelings of wanting to be able to go where and when you want , or how you get there. However none of this Jibber Jabber is worth your Life. The ones who carry everyday sometimes forget what its like to not have it on. We are spoiled in Contrast to other places in the World. Stay Safe and God Speed.:9:

#30 ·
Good Advice

I'm a bit skeptical myself. I've been to Panama several times and have always felt fairly safe. I don't walk around in Panama City, however. That might be a different story. I have a sister in law from there and she goes every year for a month or two and doesn't have problems.

I can say one thing for certain. There are taxis everywhere and they are dirt cheap. Take a taxi instead of walking and your problems will go away.
Years ago, I received the same advice in another country a bit farther south. On foot, a well-dressed citizen or any person appearing foreign is a mark, especially in certain parts of the city. I was also warned not to flash cash anywhere - it could get you killed.

#31 ·
I carry a S&W 642 Airweight 38S+P every day, almost all the time, only notable exception, hour or so on Sundays.

Easy to carry. Suggest front pocket carry in a pocket holster (like a Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holster).

You could also carry in the front pocket of a light jacket. May sound sinister, but a revolver has the advantage of being able to be effectively shot while in the pocket of a coat / jacket.

I once carried a (standard size) Glock 31 (.357 SIG). I still do (depending on what I wear). If I was someplace warm, and I wanted to have an effecticve round with a firearm easy to conceal. A firearm that you hardly notice and light.

S&W 642 Airweight 38S+P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.