Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

This is a discussion on Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moved to Panama from the UK a couple of months ago. Have been attemptedly robbed by the same gang, twice now. First time I just ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moved to Panama. "Robbed" twice. Need gun.

Moved to Panama from the UK a couple of months ago. Have been attemptedly robbed by the same gang, twice now.

First time I just told them to screw off and they did.

Second time, I thought one of them had a taser or something of that nature, turns out it was his mobile phone held like it was a gun/etc.

After the second time, I walked away to get food. And the only way back to my apartment is over the same bridge. So I bought a big metal hammer from the 24 hour store, and walked back.

They weren't there.

Anyhow, I've got an order on a German Shepherd, and a lot of Panamanians are afraid of big dogs. But until that grows up, I need a gun.

Police here suck, and are more likely to side with the gang. The police are just 20 years olds etc, with uzis, on dirtbikes. And they are corrupt like you wouldn't believe, just walk up and demanded a penalty fine from me the other day for not carrying my passport. I put him on the phone to my lawyer and he promptly dropped the idea.

Anyway, back to my point. I always wear light clothes here, trousers and a t-shirt at most. So I need a relatively small, kinda thin gun so I can carry it without it being seen. But also, I don't wanna take out a pea shooter, escalate the situation and then have them take out god knows what.

Any idea's?

Congratulations on living in one of the most corrupt countries in the world!
    Before any of us lucky citizens can respond...what are your legal options?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Hey,

Getting residency soon as I've bought a place, went in a few gun shops before, but these events have turned made me to think more about getting one.

The gun shops sell, as far as I could tell, mainly glocks and .38 revolvers.

Legally, I believe it is any gun other than a full auto.

I'm leaning more towards glock, I guess my main question is how small a glock. If it's correct that the easier to conceal, the less effective as I go down the glock range... I'm wanting advice on what is manageable to carry in light clothing.

And I'd rather have something I'll take out each time, like house keys, than leave in a sock drawer.

Thanks

If that's what you're stuck with, you can't beat a G-19. Great capacity for the size. I've got two, one for each daughter. I hate them, but they carry them daily. What are the carry laws there? Much better than the UK I imagine!

By the way, Welcome to the forum!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Get a Glock 26 or 27 better yet get 2 of which ever you decide
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    you might look at a Glock 30
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

"Before any of us lucky citizens can respond...what are your legal options?"

And you may check the self defense laws...anyhow, sounds like you need a large caliber/capacity carry piece, a BUG, powerful carry flashlight and knife in your boot. Also, get some training from someone, so you're not just lugging around a big security blanket. Then, as any post encounter publicity (provided you survive) would inform the rest of the gang members where you live, you probably should get other, long guns, house security system...and a grown, trained dog. Have fun shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    "Before any of us lucky citizens can respond...what are your legal options?"

And you may check the self defense laws...anyhow, sounds like you need a large caliber/capacity carry piece, a BUG, powerful carry flashlight and knife in your boot. Also, get some training from someone, so you're not just lugging around a big security blanket. Then, as any post encounter publicity (provided you survive) would inform the rest of the gang members where you live, you probably should get other, long guns, house security system...and a grown, trained dog. Have fun shopping!
    Yeh, I may buy a Colt m1911, but mainly for target practice and fun at the local range.

I'm not sure I'd get away with a m1911, in light clothing.

Thanks for the Glock recommendations, looking into them all.

P.S. What are the standard rules on when it is acceptable to unholster a gun? It seems I may encounter a fair few situations here in Panama, been here 3 months and had 3 already (one I didn't mention above). --- If 2 guys are throwing punches, like they were tonight (hit me in face, but his punch was remarkably weak as it was the young guy who did it and I could tell he was kinda scared and just showing off in front of older guys).

Anyway, say they're throwing punches, would you unholster, point and tell him to back off... or only pull out the gun if I'm in more serious danger.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Get a Glock 26 or 27 better yet get 2 of which ever you decide
    Yeh, I like the look of the Glock 26.

Any guns compare well to this for concealed carry?

I have no idea what the requirements are for the use of deadly force where you are, but here in MN you have to be unable to safely retreat, be in fear of death or great bodily harm, and be an unwilling participant in the situation. I would check into your local laws right away.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a G26 for hot weather carry. You have up to a 13 round capacity in a nice, lightweight, easy to conceal package, plus the reliability and corrosion resistance are very good. Good luck.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I'm gonna go to the gun shop and see if they have the Glock 26 tomorrow.

What would be the best style of holster, I often wear shorts here, which obviously just have an elasticated waistband, no belt.

You mentioned that "...I put him on the phone to my lawyer..." That person, your lawyer, is the one who can inform you about laws regarding carry and use of lethal force--make another phone call rather than seeking the info here.
    blitzburgh likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I find this post rather interesting.

You are in a foreign country. Pretty much everyone here knows what it is like to carry and obey the laws in America and what the legal system is here, but I don't think too many of us know what it is like in Panama. You are going to need to do your homework. But it sounds like it is so corrupt down there, that laws really don't matter much any how.

Maybe you can answer a few questions. Are you an American citizen living there or a Panamanian native? Why are you there? Do you need to stay there or is moving to a "more civilized" country an option?

Glocks are great options. You did not mention your size. I am rather small so a G19 prints pretty heavily on me. A G26 is perfect for me. It holds a few less rounds, but it is a great gun.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I find this post rather interesting.

You are in a foreign country. Pretty much everyone here knows what it is like to carry and obey the laws in America and what the legal system is here, but I don't think too many of us know what it is like in Panama. You are going to need to do your homework. But it sounds like it is so corrupt down there, that laws really don't matter much any how.

Maybe you can answer a few questions. Are you an American citizen living there or a Panamanian native? Why are you there? Do you need to stay there or is moving to a "more civilized" country an option?

Glocks are great options. You did not mention your size. I am rather small so a G19 prints pretty heavily on me. A G26 is perfect for me. It holds a few less rounds, but it is a great gun.
    Questions:

I'm a UK Citizen, and becoming a Panama resident.

I need to stay here, as I'm here for tax reasons.

Size: I'm 5.10" and 180lbs

Thanks

I'd get the Glock 26 or the Glock-36...both are easy to conceal.
    I'd also completely research the gun laws and SD matters as they pertain to you...sounds as if you may also want to have the phone number of a 'good' lawyer (you really know and trust) who can guide you through the corrupt system if you should shoot someone saving your own life.

Doesn't sound like a place I would want to live...but hey, anything has to beat the UK.

Stay armed...know a good lawyer...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links