Women...and men speak up. 9mm questions. HK/SIG /Glock

This is a discussion on Women...and men speak up. 9mm questions. HK/SIG /Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok....so my girlfriend and I have been shooting recently. She shot my g23 and thought she loved it...until she shot my 9mm p228. She is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women...and men speak up. 9mm questions. HK/SIG /Glock

Women...and men speak up. 9mm questions. HK/SIG /Glock

Ok....so my girlfriend and I have been shooting recently. She shot my g23 and thought she loved it...until she shot my 9mm p228. She is 5'10"...with TINY hands...really TINY. She shot OK with the p228 and like the trigger. But watching her, I think she would do better without such a big grip. She is excited about getting her ccp when she turns 21, and will probably carry whatever I buy her. I dont think she can reliably carry a p228/9 comfortably. I am considering a p239 which she says she likes the looks of, a HK p2000sk, a g19, and a kahr p9. She says she doesnt like the feel of the g26 its too "itty bitty". Don't know enough about a PPS and the manual of arms yet to consider it. Dont think she is proficient enough with a handgun to be comfortable with a SAO, so a 1911 platform is out of the question...for now. I ultimately think this would be the eventual best choice for her as she shot really well with those subsequent SA shots on the p228. I need to know about the other trigger options too LEM, DAK. She wants my opinions and guidance and trusts me to make the best overall decision for her a weapon. Give me your experiences with the various 9mm platforms and all their flavors. Help me help her. Thanks in advance.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19...as to why, see the current thread on the 19.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Look at the PPS. I purchase one for myself and my wife, 5'4" 100lbs, also has tiny hands. She loves that little gun. I also have a Taurus PT92C that she doesn't enjoy shooting because she feels it's "too heavy". Sigs are amazing guns, we carry them back in the states (US Coast Guard), but may be a little heavy to carry concealed for her. Let her try yours on for size and see if she can handle it. If so maybe a 239 SAS with the DAK trigger. That was what I was looking at before I found the PPS. Good Luck

First, does she want a pistol? Not a revolver? I'd let her try a Ladysmith.
    If it's a pistol (I'd think a lot of women have trouble racking the slide.) Maybe a DAO PM-9. I also have an H&K P-30, that has a smaller (and interchangeable) grip, and is a fine machine. (although a little big, not heavy, for ccw)

I just added a Walther PPS to the collection. Same basic size as a G26 but much thinner and a higher grip. Helps recoil and it fits all hands. As of last night, I have put 1200 rounds of mixed ammo (FJM and HP's) without any failures. I lubed it when I got it 2 weeks ago and then proceeded to shoot 1200+ rounds. I will clean it this weekend and put it into backup gun service.
    I am very pleased and surprised with it.
    I still carry my G26 and g27 and G30 but the PPS may replace my front left hand pocket J-frame back-ups. Very Impressed.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

My ex has tiny hands also, when she shot my Sig p239 she instantly
    knew what she wanted to carry.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    The only ones I would consider is the 239, Kahr, or G19. In that order given the set of circumstances you mentioned.

The 239 in 9mm is a sweet shooter, and you have a few options for the trigger, the main one worth looking at IMO is the short trigger. It makes a huge difference, especially for somebody with short hands.

Kahrs are great, but can be tough for the inexperianced. Also, your options are limited in trying new trigger set ups.

The G19 is great, everybody knows I love the G19... but if she can't carry a 228 well, a G19 isnt much better. It is lighter but not much. I think it will end up not being carried.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    What SIXTO said!

The 239 in 9mm is a sweet piece of work. The biggest downside seems to be if you are left handed, since that's where all the levers are.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

+1 for the sig P239 9mm. Very accurate and with Hogue grips its sinfull fun to shoot. My wife likes it and her Sig P250 (very easy to rack the slide) and great no stacking DAO trigger. I suggest letting her try both of these. Good shooting!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

She shot my cousin's p250 did not like the long trigger. She loves my p228 but its just too big, for her for EDC. I showed her a picture of a p239 and she said "I want that one right there." It just happened to be a SAS Gen II. I told her she would have to like the most expensive one. I am leaning toward the p239 myself also. She def. does not want a revolver. Handled them does not like them. I wanna wait and see how the 239 fits her hand but if she likeds the p228 I am sure she will like the 239. So does the SRT come in DAK or just DA/SA or what? How shootable is the DAK versus the DA/SA?

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    I wouldnt mess with the DAK or the SRT right now for two reasons; first she liked your 228, dont mess with sucess. Second, the SRT invites a little trouble with a undisciplined trigger finger. Let her learn properly first, speed will come in time... you can always add the SRT later.
    "Just blame Sixto"

9mm and small grips

I agree with posters above that the Sig P239 is one of the best choices for shooters with small hands, as the grip on this gun is very slim and compact if you are careful to use slim grip panels. The stock plastic grip panels are slim, as are the Hogue aluminum grips like I have on my P239. Other single stack 9mm candidates would include a steel Kahr K9 or MK9, a Walther PPS or a S&W model 3913.

Here are my P239 and my Kahr MK9:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Kahr PM9

Glock G19

Yeah kinda my thinking too, Sixto. I am lucky that she has already had some epxosure to guns and enjoys shooting and is eager to learn. That is a definite upside. The downside for me...is i kinda have been wanting a p239 myself and have to buy her one first now probably.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links