Range Report: Taurus 24/7 Pro 45acp.

Range Report: Taurus 24/7 Pro 45acp.

This is a discussion on Range Report: Taurus 24/7 Pro 45acp. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my five days were finally up(permit still pending), and I was able to bring home the new addition. Got home, packed the car up, ...

Thread: Range Report: Taurus 24/7 Pro 45acp.

Thumbs up Range Report: Taurus 24/7 Pro 45acp.

So, my five days were finally up(permit still pending), and I was able to bring home the new addition. Got home, packed the car up, and headed to the range.

Before any shots were fired I went ahead and broke down the weapon for inspection, cleaned the bore, wiped down eveything else, and lubed her up. Time for the fun part!

Got her loaded up.. Holy heck, them mag springs are strong! Decided not to force it and downloaded the mags down to 10 rnds, and go to work.

First shots were pathetic. From 10 of my strides/paces(I'm 6'3" for reference) I actually missed the target a few times and the groups were'nt looking pretty. Gun shot well, but being a 1911 guy, I could see the much firmer striker fired SA pull was gonna take some getting used to. Also, the amount of recoil really took me by suprise. On a few lax shots my arms actually lifted a few inches from the jolt of the recoil. I guess with all the advantages of these modern featherweight tupperware guns, there has to be a few disadvantages.

Gun ran great, and felt great and I really started to get a feel for where I needed to be on the trigger, and so the groups really started to improve. At first, I was shooting quite low and to the left. No biggie, between mags I loosed up the rear sight with the supplied allen key and drifted the sight over ever so slightly. Yahtzee. Still low but hitting square now. At that time I also broke her down again, cleaning the bore again as well, and continued to shot a few more mags. Then it happened...

Failure to feed. Round went straight into the feed ramp and locked the slide up. Could have been a round I didn't load rinto the mag right, a limp wrist(I was actually feeling some discomfort at this point in time because of just how snappy the gun was) or maybe just the mags are still to tight and need some time to wear in a bit. By this time I had roughly +/- 100 rounds through the gun with no other issues.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. Granted I did have 1 issue. But, I'm gonna dock myself this one time and chalk it up to user error. I can easliy see how myself getting more comfortable with the gun and quickly shooting at multiple targets could have allowed myself to limp wrist, and with the combination or those very strong mag springs, caused the feed issue. All in all I shot 138 catridges which consisted of 50 Magtech FMJ, and 88 Remington JHP.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure..

The Crossbreed.

My best group at 10 paces.

Nice shooting with a very good gun. I like the two tone look.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Enjoy your new gun. Looks like you have a good setup with the Crossbreed.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good range report, not a bad group, enjoy your new Taurus.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

I have the same gun. I like it except for the Heine sights.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Nice shooting with a very good gun. I like the two tone look.
    Yup me too! After checking one out in person with the standard slide at Cabela's I got online and saw the duo-tone finish on Taurus' website and decided that would be the one.. Luckily for me, my locally owned farm-store had just the one I wanted in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Enjoy your new gun. Looks like you have a good setup with the Crossbreed.
    I'm really liking the Crossbreed so far. Very comfortable. Just been wearing it around the house to break it in a bit, so no doubt it will get even better with use

Quote Originally Posted by rdoggsilva View Post
    Good range report, not a bad group, enjoy your new Taurus.
    Thanks. Personally I was quite happy with that group. Never been much of a shot with a pistol, due to lack of practice. Rifles on the other hand, look out.. I'll hide 10 rounds under a dime at 50yds and make 2 hole groups firing 3 rounds at 200 yards with my .308.

Gonna be joining a rimfire/pistol club here ASAP. Never been to the facility but it's and indoor range that's open 24/7/365. As once you pay your dues you recieve the passcode to the door, and can shoot whenever you feel like it. Very reasonable fee, $120 for the year, but's it's tricky to join as the people that run the club only meet every 3rd tuesday of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I have the same gun. I like it except for the Heine sights.
    Wanna trade? Mine has the standard sights, and I think I would prefer the Heine sights over them.
    Last edited by Heimer; October 2nd, 2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Glaring typographicals.
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

I just bought its smaller cousin the PT145 and those groups are pretty good at that range...remember you said you are used to tack drivers like the 1911. here is a Target from my PT145 at 21' 10 rds 230gr golden sabers

The Gun:

Links