9mm and smaller ultraconceal

This is a discussion on 9mm and smaller ultraconceal within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering what kind of 9mm and .380 type weapons are out there that should be considered forl a unltraconcealable back up weapon. Now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm and smaller ultraconceal

9mm and smaller ultraconceal

I am wondering what kind of 9mm and .380 type weapons are out there that should be considered forl a unltraconcealable back up weapon. Now I concean a 1911 very easily on my frame with a good galco holster and very rarely would think of carrying this as a primary, and not saying I would even pick one up, but I read another post and it got me to thinking I don't know anything about this style of handgun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3AT are about as small as they get, while still being functional (both in .380).

In 9mm, you have the Kahr PM-9, the Kel-Tec P-11 and PF-9, the Walther PPS, and (since you are comfortable/familiar with the 1911 style) the Springfield EMP. You also, of course, have the baby Glocks, and sub-compact pistols from several other manufacturers, but the first group I listed are the overall "smallest" 9mms that came immediately to mind. I'm sure the crew here will add in many more that I have overlooked.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thanks, I look forward to that, I'll go and look these up on the net now though. Appriciate it. It is a gap in my knowledge, and that simply isn't acceptable!

I carry a Keltec P-11,tho not the smallest it holds 10+1 9mm rounds and with S&W mags can hold 12-15 +1,the trigger is stiff and takes some getting used to to find the "break" but out to 10 yards can put most rounds in the sweet spot COM
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    I am wondering what kind of 9mm and .380 type weapons are out there that should be considered forl a unltraconcealable back up weapon. Now I concean a 1911 very easily on my frame with a good galco holster and very rarely would think of carrying this as a primary, and not saying I would even pick one up, but I read another post and it got me to thinking I don't know anything about this style of handgun.

Don't forget the Seecamp. Smallest .380 out there and an absolute gem. They can be a little tough to find though and will set you back a little more than the LCP or P3AT.

Here's an overlay of the Seecamp and the Ruger LCP for comparison....

Here it is "real life"......

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

The smallest 9mm is the Rohrbaugh. In order (from smallest to largest) here's how the compact 9mm's roughly rank (some are basically the same size, and so are grouped together):

1. Rohrbaugh
    2. Kahr PM9
    3. Kel-Tec PF-9
    4. Walther PPS & Kel-Tec P11
    5. Glock G26, XDsc, S&W M&Pc, Kahr CW9, P9 and P9 Covert

Not sure if I would put the EMP (and other similar guns) in row 4 or 5. The beavertail makes it difficult for pocket carry, yet it is slim and concealable for IWB. IMO, only 1-4 are viable options for pants pocket carry (and even 4 is a stretch) since those in row 5 are thicker. However, there are those that carry them in cargo pockets with no issue. Any of the above ones generally work in overcoat pockets, ankle holsters and undershirt holsters.

Of the .380s, the LCP and P3T are the same size, yet the new Kahr .380 (yet to be shipped) is a little smaller. Seacamp and NAA have mouse guns that are even smaller, but there is a weight factor with them. Other .380's (like the Walther PPK) are considerations as well, but I think their weight makes them less appealing.

For everyday carry, I chose the PM9 as the best (for me) combination of caliber, weight, shootability (accuracy, recoil, fit, nightsights, etc.) and concealability. However, I am considering an LCP for summertime shorts (the PM9 works fine in cargo shorts, but not those flimsy nylon types).

Kahr MK9....but it is a little on the heavy side
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Here is what I have personally settled on after trying most of the guns mentioned. I carry these - usually 1 from each group
    -G26, G27, G30, G27, G19
    - KT .380. KT .32, Walther pps
    - S&W 342PD, 60, 36 all .38 spl

I have the PPK but it is a littke large and heavy but it is 100% reliable
    I have the NAA .32 - small, heavy and it hurts my knuckle to shoot it.

You have to try the individual weapon to insure it works for you and that you trust it with your life. What someone else uses is only a baseline for you needs.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Kahr MK9....but it is a little on the heavy side

+1 on the Kahr MK9 but I would add that a small gun like this
    is better a little on the heavy side because it will reduce recoil.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    The smallest 9mm is the Rohrbaugh. In order (from smallest to largest) here's how the compact 9mm's roughly rank ...
    Good summary and post.

- OS

NAA Guardian .380, .32, 32 NAA. Nice little guns
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    R9 is $1000+ and reported to be finickey with ammo.

I'd recommend the Kahr PM9 for it's power, size, and light weight and a wonderful trigger, however, If you want to shoot it a lot and would carry IWB, then the MK9 is perfect.

But for a bug I'd imagine you're looking at Pocket carry or the like. If so the PM9 is it.

In .380 I have the Keltec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. Now that I've had both for a while I think the Keltec P3AT is a good choice and lower cost but the LCP is probably a bit more likely to be reliable right out of the box.

Have and carry both P3AT and P-11. No problems with either.

Sometimes carry Sig P229 but is much larger and heavier.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Colt Mustang if you can fine one. Their nice little pistol and if you lkike a 1911 these fit right in. I have 2 now I use one as my pocket pistol and BUG to my 1911. Ive retired at least for a while my Kel Tecs.
    They haven't been made in 11 years and if you find one will be a little expensive
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

My R-9 is my work carry gun--and I really don't want to be "made" there. Although twice the weight of the KT P-32 that I used formerly (a 1st gen, that I still love), the shape of the R is nearly as easy for me to conceal. They are expensive, but if you buy and sell--trade especially--a couple of times looking for the right carry piece, the amount looks a little better. I was also amazed at how accurate I was shooting it--better that with the KT and WAY better than my 342pd, which I got years ago with work in mind. Plus, it's just flat-out a work of art (to me anyhow)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links