My SA Champion and

This is a discussion on My SA Champion and within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got that same Champion. Mine is the lightweight version, great carry piece. No failures whatsoever thru 300 rounds of ball and hp. Shoots POA ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My SA Champion and

I've got that same Champion. Mine is the lightweight version, great carry piece. No failures whatsoever thru 300 rounds of ball and hp. Shoots POA and very accurate.

2. Remove Ads

The Springfield Champion is by far one of the best CCW's on the market. The balance is perfect in the 4" barrel, accuracy is superb and they can be had in several configurations. I originally bought a GI WWII version for a song and when I found out just how accurate it was decided to make it more to my liking. Here is the final product:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...5&d=1122167115
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Lead Moderator
    tex45acp, nice looking gun. I didn't want to be relpacing parts after buying a gun. Also wanted it to be factory stock, since its for ccw.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Tex that is sweet. Can you share what all you had done?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

mike_1
    When I first bought the gun I almost sold it but then I took it to the range and man what a shooter it was. So I decided to keep it.
    One of the first things I noticed with the gun was all the "cut you deep" sharp edges.......not good for a carry weapon!!! I completely dehorned the slide and frame using files and metal working sandpaper. I paid special attention to the muzzle end of the slide giving it a large radius so that it would not wear easily and not tear up my holster. Then I lowered and flared the ejection port and dehorned all sharp edges there. I also chamfered the magazine opening at the bottom of the grip to aid in mag insertion. I replaced the arched mainspring housing with one that from Guncrafter Industries (they make the .50gi) that is parkerized. I then sent the frame and slide to Springfield to have a set of Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable Tritium sights installed and to have a parkerized beavertail grip safety fitted. I also had them reparkerize the gun. I simply love that finish. When the gun was returned I installed a Cylinder & Slide Trigger Pull Set that brought the trigger pull to 4.75 lbs. I added a McCormick trigger and extended thumb safety. I replaced the extractor, ejector and firing pin with Wilson bulletproof items. I chamfered the barrel opening and highly polished the ramp and chamber to aid in feeding. All in all...I could have bought the same gun for about $100.00 cheaper but I really enjoy working with metal. I am a machinist. I have had other folks ask me to modify their guns but I politely refuse due to liability.

All this work took approximately 12 weeks to complete. My gun functioned flawlessly for over 8000 rounds then a buddy threw enough money at me to buy the gun. I felt that after 8000 rounds and a thourough check with spring replacement, I could comfortably sell the gun to him. He has had it about 6 months now and carries it daily.

I have since bought a new in box, 1992 model stainless Champion. This one has the bushed barrel like the 5" 1911's have. It too is very accurate and I am in the process of some light modification to this one as well. I'll post pics when I am finished.

rocky,
    I agree with your decision, look for a loaded Champion. It is a wonderful carry weapon and will serve you well.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp
    mike_1
    When I first bought the gun I almost sold it but then I took it to the range and man what a shooter it was. So I decided to keep it.
    One of the first things I noticed with the gun was all the "cut you deep" sharp edges.......not good for a carry weapon!!! I completely dehorned the slide and frame using files and metal working sandpaper. I paid special attention to the muzzle end of the slide giving it a large radius so that it would not wear easily and not tear up my holster. Then I lowered and flared the ejection port and dehorned all sharp edges there. I also chamfered the magazine opening at the bottom of the grip to aid in mag insertion. I replaced the arched mainspring housing with one that from Guncrafter Industries (they make the .50gi) that is parkerized. I then sent the frame and slide to Springfield to have a set of Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable Tritium sights installed and to have a parkerized beavertail grip safety fitted. I also had them reparkerize the gun. I simply love that finish. When the gun was returned I installed a Cylinder & Slide Trigger Pull Set that brought the trigger pull to 4.75 lbs. I added a McCormick trigger and extended thumb safety. I replaced the extractor, ejector and firing pin with Wilson bulletproof items. I chamfered the barrel opening and highly polished the ramp and chamber to aid in feeding. All in all...I could have bought the same gun for about $100.00 cheaper but I really enjoy working with metal. I am a machinist. I have had other folks ask me to modify their guns but I politely refuse due to liability.

All this work took approximately 12 weeks to complete. My gun functioned flawlessly for over 8000 rounds then a buddy threw enough money at me to buy the gun. I felt that after 8000 rounds and a thourough check with spring replacement, I could comfortably sell the gun to him. He has had it about 6 months now and carries it daily.

I have since bought a new in box, 1992 model stainless Champion. This one has the bushed barrel like the 5" 1911's have. It too is very accurate and I am in the process of some light modification to this one as well. I'll post pics when I am finished.

rocky,
    I agree with your decision, look for a loaded Champion. It is a wonderful carry weapon and will serve you well.
    Cant believe ya sold it after all the work ya put into it but if your buddie threw enough cash at ya well then that different.. But would still be a hard sell to me

It was very difficult to sell the gun, even to a good friend who will treat it like gold. He sold his Para Ordnance Warthog to help finance the buy so it was really hard to not to fulfill my end of the bargain. It was a nice way to help out a friend who has been there for me numerous times in the past.

I am glad I found another Champion that I can tweak to my liking. I decided on the stainless one so that refinishing is not required.

The Stainless seems like a good ideal.

Lead Moderator
    Tex , any more pics of your former GI? Some of the melt jobs of the 1911 look really nice.

Well, it isn't exactly a melt job but this is the front of the slide that I radiused heavily:
    http://combatcarry.com/vbulletin/att...3&d=1122167115

This is the rear. I worked on the back and even had several folks ask me if the ejector is a part of the frame since you can see no defined lines of each piece. As you can see I worked on the beavertail as well. It was sharp and actually cut one of my best concealment shirts on a practice draw.
    http://combatcarry.com/vbulletin/att...4&d=1122167115

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links