New TX CHL and some questions

This is a discussion on New TX CHL and some questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my TX CHL yesterday and wore my XD-9 SC in my Comp-Tec M-TAC holster today. I have to wait for a letter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TX CHL and some questions

New TX CHL and some questions

I just got my TX CHL yesterday and wore my XD-9 SC in my Comp-Tec M-TAC holster today. I have to wait for a letter from my school before I can carry on premises, so I left the gun in the car. (The President of my school actually encourages its faculty to carry on campus) I do have a couple of questions about CC:

1) What kind of gun oil do you recommend for CC? I have been carrying around the house to get used to the gun and to break in the holster. However, I have also noticed that I have gotten a couple of stains on my clothes. Is there a dry-lube someone could recommend, or should I soak the gun in "Break Free" or something like that and wipe off all the access and basically carry it "dry?"

2) Can you recommend a good metal car "safe" where I can keep my gun when I do have to lock it in the car?

Thanks for a good forum.

2. Remove Ads

If its staining your clothes your using wayyyyy too much. No need to soak , just oil it then wipe it down. The XD isnt going to rust up on you in the holster during normal conditions and definatly not down here in TX.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Don't carry it dry.......sounds like you may have a little to much oil on it..........CC opinions are many.......but carry one that you have confidence in......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

The problem is the one drop of oil that I put at the point where the chamber block locks to the slide. The chamber block always has a smear of oil on it. I am not using much oil. After cleaning, I put one drop of oil on each frame rail (the two metal ones and not the plastic ones [is that right?]), one drop at the end of the barrel where it contacts the slide, and one drop of oil at the transition from barrell to square locking block that locks into the slide. I work the action for several seconds to distribude the oil and wipe off any excess oil. When I chamber a round, this smears oil all accross the top of the locking block again. It is this oil that has a tendency to stain. I hate to wipe the locking block completely clean, but there might be enough oil on the barrell itself that were I to need to fire the weapon, there would still be enough there to keep things running smoothly. The holster covers this area, but the staining happens when I am holstering the gun.

Don't put oil on the block when the gun recoils the block drops down and isn't riding on anything just oil like you are but don't put any on barrel block
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, sounds like you have just a tad too much oil on it. The other option is just to make sure that your clothing is out of the way when your holstering it, if the holster covers this area during normal carry.

Are you wearing white shirts and using a realy dark oil? I use a very light almost clear scent free gun oil. Don't remember the name right off hand.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    As everyone else has said on the subject of oiling your gun. A little bit goes a long ways, no need to saturate it with oil. As to the second part of your question. This is what I use in my truck.

Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As everyone else has said on the subject of oiling your gun. A little bit goes a long ways, no need to saturate it with oil. As to the second part of your question. This is what I use in my truck.

Cabela's -- Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe
    Thanks for the link. This was just the sort of thing I was thinking of. I'll have to get one the next time I am at Cabelas.

I use a toothpick to apply gun grease to the rails and other friction parts, then work the slide several times and wipe off any that comes to the surface. My gun takes a beating, as I work outside, plus working on the farm, and I carry IWB.
    Hint: the spray cans of air used for cleaning computors/electronics are great for blowing out lint and moisture from cracks and crevices.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Oil

I also carry an XD9 sc at times. I have been using Gun Butter over the last couple of months and am getting pretty fond of it. It stays where you put it and doesn't run. It really make cleaning after a day at the range a breeze too.
    If your not willing to go the distance, don't join the race

Colt New Agent, Commander, Gov.
    Kimber Custom II, Ultra II
    S&W 442, 60, 686, 19, 29
    Ruger LCP, SP101, XD9sub

wpk
    Center Of Mass Central is the safe that I and I'm sure many others use. My 1911 is a bit of a tight fit in the smaller safe, but it does fit and I'm pretty confident that no one is going to be running off with it.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Quote Originally Posted by Firkin View Post
    I just got my TX CHL yesterday and wore my XD-9 SC in my Comp-Tec M-TAC holster today. I have to wait for a letter from my school before I can carry on premises, so I left the gun in the car. (The President of my school actually encourages its faculty to carry on campus) I do have a couple of questions about CC:

1) What kind of gun oil do you recommend for CC? I have been carrying around the house to get used to the gun and to break in the holster. However, I have also noticed that I have gotten a couple of stains on my clothes. Is there a dry-lube someone could recommend, or should I soak the gun in "Break Free" or something like that and wipe off all the access and basically carry it "dry?"

2) Can you recommend a good metal car "safe" where I can keep my gun when I do have to lock it in the car?

Thanks for a good forum.
    all i did was place my gun in holster and kept it in there for 2 days cause i was having trouble also but with the snaps, they would not line up. after 2 days they snap together with no problem and holster is broken in. hope it was help to u

I am curious about your ability to carry at "school" since Texas public and private schools are forbidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest you use grease on your pistol instead of oil. Oil has a tendency to move on your pistol, where an oil will be more likely to stay put. There are a lot of greases out there to choose from and most will do just fine.

I was also surprised that you carry on a school campus. I'm also from Texas and carrying on public school campus is strictly prohibited by law. Just make sure you are carrying legally.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I am curious about your ability to carry at "school" since Texas public and private schools are forbidden.
    He said he's obtaining an authorization letter from the school, as recommended by the school's president.
    Section 46.03 of the Texas Penal Code specifically allows for this.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links