Beating a dead horse...

This is a discussion on Beating a dead horse... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am (still ) deciding between a G23 and G27 for CC and can't seem to come to the conclusion between the two. After ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beating a dead horse...

Beating a dead horse...

So I am (still ) deciding between a G23 and G27 for CC and can't seem to come to the conclusion between the two. After extensive surfing of this site I still can't pull the trigger, so to speak. The main concern I really have is being spotted carrying a G23 when I could have had a shorter grip with the G27.

That being said, I would get a pinky extension on the 27 if I were to get it and was told on the phone with Glock today that with the extension the grip length is exactly the same.

Maybe if someone could take a pic of one on top of the other that would help. Sorry to bring back this topic, I just want to be absolutely sure about this one before making the call.

2. Remove Ads

Not quite the same but I have a 19 and a 27. And, I carry the 19 almost exclusively. The only time I carry the 27 is when I am really worried about printing although I have to say I don't think I have ever been made while carrying the 19 (or any gun). Also, the 27 is a little snappy to shoot. I have g22 as well that is a lot easier to shoot than the 27 so I imagine the 23 would be in between. You can't go wrong with either but if you are going to be doing a lot of shooting with it, I would suggest the 23 over the 27.
    Hope this helps.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    The simple fix.........buy one of each........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    I really like my G27 after I added this small piece, it doesn't really extend the length of the grip, you simply change the bottom part of the mag, and it has a small piece that extends forward. It made a big difference in the grip.

G A P H O M E
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I read somewhere that the mag extensions will easily break off of a Glock pistol if it's dropped....specifically, someone drop tested their G27, and had the extension break off (and all of the rounds that were in the mag fly out) after being dropped from just a few feet. I don't use one on my G26, and I seem to be able to shoot it well that way.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Glocks

I carry a 19, my wife a 26. She added a finger extension only, not a +2, to make it comfortable and now it's pretty close to the length of my 19 but with a shorter barrel. I drop and durability tested the mags and I had no problems with the extension. She has some +2 mags, but doesn't use them for CCW, she likes the extension only ones better. The 19 and 26 are both easy to hide, dress around it a little bit and forget about wondering if other people will make you carrying. It took her a while to realize that 99.99% of the world does not notice you exist, much less that you are printing. I prefer the longer barrel 19. I find it easier to shoot and I like the way it conceals. I think the little longer barrel stabilizes the gun in my pants better, if that makes sense. If you have ammo concerns, you get a little better performance from the longer barrel. I tested in wet newspaper and found no real dramatic difference in performance bare and through cloth (124gr Hydra Shok)

I recommend you do what I do, have a two Glock household.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

+1 !

I'm of the line of thought that I'm going to carry the largest gun(size and caliber) I can conceal. A G23 is my EDC. I have zero issues concealing it....I'm 5'9" and 175-180 lbs.

My G23is a good compromise of caliber and size. A grip (pinkey) extension would make the grip nearly the same size as the 23's.

Just my opinion. Your the one who will be carrying either sidearm.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well, I don't have pics right off, but could probably cook some up in the near future. I have a G27 and a G19. I use the same holster for both, and have the +1 extensions on my G27. With a slight rearrangement on the holster position, I'm good to go with either IWB. With the right choice in hardware and support, and only choosing one....I'd say go with the G23 simply for the better grip and capacity. I shoot my G19 better than any of my other Glocks just naturally. I know it has to do with it's overall ergonomics.

+1 for the G23
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Ha, wish I could afford that right now--sadly can only go with one for my primary and CC. Those suckers are expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, I don't have pics right off, but could probably cook some up in the near future.... I know it has to do with it's overall ergonomics.
    Thanks RamRod for all your help with this one, it'd be nice to see the pics but I think I'm now swinging toward the G23. And it does seem that Wolf will buy the new firearm (see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...situation.html for explanation of situation) but won't post until I have a photo to prove it!

Happy to hear from all of you--can't wait to have all this set up, Texas is still "Processing application" on the CCL

Comparing the 19/23 to the 26/27 I find no compelling reason to lose capacity and barrel length with the latter pair. I can easily and comfortably conceal and carry either size gun... they really are not that different when on your hip. It really doesn't make a significant difference to me, so the nod goes to greater capacity, shootability, and terminal ballistics... advantage 19/23.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I have a 27 and 23 and personally I find the 27 to be easier for me to conceal and I do have the pierce extension on my magazine in my 27, I have this one: Pierce Grip - Glock Magazine Extension - Pistol Accessories - Atlantic Tactical

This is just my .02 cents, but as I said I can conceal the 27 better.

When you cary concealed the top back of the slide and the bottom back of the grip are the two things that cause any auto to print, (when carrying IWB), with the extension I listed above on my magazines in the 27 it does not make the back of the grip any longer thereby making it easier to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I really like my G27 after I added this small piece, it doesn't really extend the length of the grip, you simply change the bottom part of the mag, and it has a small piece that extends forward. It made a big difference in the grip.

G A P H O M E
    +1
    Back when I had my Glock, I used these extensions exclusively!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

I'm sure this has been said before (because I'm not nearly this profound), but it's usually easier to make a small Glock bigger than a big Glock smaller.

That said I'm hoping to pick up a G27 very soon. Haven't figured out how to make my G22 smaller.

Earlier this week and just to see how it would be, I decided to slip my Springfield Hi-Cap 1911 (this is a wide body, 14 rounds capacity 1911 in .45 acp with full length 5" barrel) into my IWB Commander holster for a trip to the store. This gun is a real handful, full size-plus. I'm tall and lean (6'1" 180 lbs). I wore a t-shirt untucked over my jeans.

Guess what. Easily concealed. I think the holster decision has much greater impact on concealability than the gun choice.

I think there's a lot of opinion that it's difficult to concealed-carry anything but a sub-compact gun... but you might be surprised to know that most people can easily conceal a standard or compact gun. Going to a sub-compact isn't necessarily a "requirement" for easy concealed carry.

Yes, the full sized and compact guns have a little more weight and bulk than the subs, but that doesn't make them difficult to carry. And the greater capacity, better shootability, better terminal effectiveness (from longer barrel/higher velocities) and often better reliability make them well worth a little extra weight and size.

Between compact and subcompact Glocks, for example, in the height of a G19 vs. a G26 (due to longer grip) we're only talking about a little over 3/4", which in the grand scheme of concealed carry is pretty darned close to negligible. I am surprised to find that some people feel this extra 3/4" is a deal breaker for packing a 19 vs. a 26. TO each his own choice and opinion, however, but in my personal experience, even an inch difference in butt length is relatively negligible in my concealed carry.

Of course, the chosen holster can make a BIG difference. Choosing one which allows the gun to tuck into the body rather than causing it to jut outward can make a difference. AND, choosing a holster which doesn't add a lot of bulk of it's own can make a real difference too. Again, I think the holster choice has MUCH greater impact on concealability than compact vs. sub-compact.

For anything but all-day every-day carry, like trips to the store, afternoon outings, etc., even a full size 1911 is easy to carry concealed under an untucked shirt, sweatshirt, etc. That's why I vote for the compact G19/23 over the sub-compact G26/27. My G19 and 23 virtually disappear when carried IWB at 4 o'clock with any untucked shirt over them. Even when squatting down and bending over, if there's any buldge from the butt, it's minimal and inconsequential. I really don't care if there might be a slight buldge on occasion... even if anyone might notice, they have no clue what's there... could be a pager, tape measure, cell phone, whatever. It's no biggie really.
    Last edited by DHart; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links