S&W Sigma Series any good? - Page 2

S&W Sigma Series any good?

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma Series any good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sigma's early on were not well recieved, bad/'spongey' triggers with long pulls. Accuracy was OK but you'd never see one at a competition. It was ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma Series any good?

Sigma's early on were not well recieved, bad/'spongey' triggers with long pulls. Accuracy was OK but you'd never see one at a competition.

It was designed as a low cost firearm and marketed as an answer to the (then) new "wonder nines" comming out of Austria. Essentially you got what you paid for.

Now fast forward to the present.........A co-worker of mine just recently purchased a Sigma and he likes it. He got it for carry at his second job because he didn't want to have to refinish his Beretta again. Comparing it to his Beretta the Sigma still has a long trigger pull and is still spongey but not what they were a decade ago. I think it would be a satisfactory choice for what it's needed for.

Now, IMO and if at all possiable, get yourself another Glock 19. You have experience with it, it is still a very afforable sidearm with an excellent history to back it up. It's also easier to find holsters for.

All in all, whichever gun you choose, get it in 9mm. It is less expensive than the .40, easier to find, and is a very managable caliber as well as a viable, proven SD round.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Those Sigma's are the best single-shot handguns ever made. But if you want a semi-auto look elsewhere. Humor aside they are jammo-matics. Get a Sig and you'll have something that you'll really love to shoot. Or, get a lowly Glock or XD as they are reliable. 1911's are always great but then you end up with an addition

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Buy a used ruger p95 . 200-250$ all day! Eats everything you feed it and very reliable. May not be a bad start for first gun. It was mine. I sold my used on and bought a brand new one good luck. BTW I owned a Sigma 40 cal and it looked nice and felt great, but I WOULD NOT TRUST my life to it.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

You said you had a G19? Well, anything else will be a step down. To be fair, a friend of mine has two of the newer Sigmas (a 9 and a .40) and has not had any problems with either of them. That said, I wouldn't take the risk.

I don't know what the price tag is on the one you're looking at, but you can get a used Glock 9mm for around $375 and have a much better gun.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post

I don't know what the price tag is on the one you're looking at, but you can get a used Glock 9mm for around $375 and have a much better gun.

this is true. if you look hard enough, you can get a very nice, preowned gun, for a good price. some companies, like sig sauer, even have "certified" pre owned guns, mostly LEO trade ins.

I have the SW40VE and I like it, my first pistol purchase. I did modify the trigger to make it lighter, not advocating it as it voids the warranty and can be dangerous. I have put hundreds of rounds through it and never had an issue, other than the trigger issues everyone speaks of.

Would I do it again, probably not. Will I sell the one I have, probably not.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Almost 1000 rounds throught my SW9VE with no issues. Trigger was long and stiff out of the box but has improved over time. This is NOT a target shooting handgun, it IS a great ccw weapon which conceals easily. Buy AMERICAN, support AMERICAN jobs!

VIP Member
    If it's all you can afford buy it. Get it in 9mm. 9mm is selling for almost half of what 40 or 45 ammo is selling for these days.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies guys. I tried a Sigma, and I would buy it, but its not all black, and that is a personal choice I have, that I want my gun black.

I sold a glock to buy a sigma. Best thing I ever did. Also, about 12 guys I could name carry the sigma 40 cal while on duty. Best try them all and then go with what you like. Good luck!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I know you guys will shoot me, no pun intended, but I am going to pick up a hi point for the time being and then when I can get extra money, get something better. Reasons are I need something now to protect my home, woke up to someone on my patio this morning and was unarmed. Do not have my ccw yet but that will be soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I know you guys will shoot me, no pun intended, but I am going to pick up a hi point for the time being and then when I can get extra money, get something better. Reasons are I need something now to protect my home, woke up to someone on my patio this morning and was unarmed. Do not have my ccw yet but that will be soon I hope.

The old sigma was a glock knock off if you take the first model 9C with the same shear in it put a 9VE slide on it S&W did for me WARANTY WORK 5-6 lb trigger at most got about 700 rounds HP/REM. hp gold dots no FTF FTE go bang EVERY TIME not as acurate as g17 but close MHO

Well let me tell you about my little friend........S&W Sigma 40GVE I bought it three years ago at a gun show for $307.00 and yes right out of the box the trigger is long and rough......and yes through time the trigger soften's up a little.....but if you can take one apart they are easy to work on.....I have polished all my internal part......shorten my sear spring.....replaced my trigger return spring with a Wolf spring (which is about 7 bucks).....polished my barrel.....and put a Houge rubber grip on it and she is a sweety now........The trigger pull out of the factory is 12 lbs because the gun has no saftey........Mine right now is about 7lbs and I just ordered a new stricker spring
    (cost $3.49) That will take it from the factory spring of 4.75lbs to a 3.5lbs.......and that lighter stricker spring will bring it down from 7lbs to about 5.5 lbs which is about perfect for me......Hey she's sweet now.....I can't wait untill to see how she feels after that.......anyway I have been carry her everyday for the past 3 years not one problem with her.......Look no matter what kinda of gun you buy, there are going to be people who like it and there's one's who don't like it......Hey I'm saving up now for a SigSauer P245 which is a handgun I've been wanting for awhile......but the sigma 40GVE isn't going anywhere.....I'm keeping that baby.....good gun.....good choice........but don't make your decision on what we all say here on the forum.....but rather on what your comfortable with and happy with also..........Here's a picture of mine.....

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My sigma will shoot any ammo I feed it including the old dirty wolf that everyone crys about.I've fired a couple thousand rounds through mine
    with NO problems.Granted this is a cheap knock off of a glock but it cost a fraction of what my glock 17 cost me.Hi points and sigma are not in the same category as sigma is made better.This propaganda has been going on for years
    and will continue as long as men have opinions.The question is have you shot this handgun or just relied on hearsay.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links