S&W Sigma Series any good?

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma Series any good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 10 different handguns including my Sigma 40ve. If I had to get rid of all but one the Sigma would be the one ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma Series any good?

I have 10 different handguns including my Sigma 40ve. If I had to get rid of all but one the Sigma would be the one I would keep. It is awsome. With over 2,000 rounds fired it has never had any kind of malfunction. It fires every kind of ammo regardless of the shape of the round. I reload and I have tried them all. It is my cool weather EDC and I have also carried it in summer if the t-shirt I'm wearing is a little over size. I consider it to be a good concealed carry gun. I would avoid the early Sigmas because there were problems, but any VE, (the later version) is going to be rock solid. And forget all the bashing of the trigger. As mentioned by others it lightens and smoothes with use.

Lastly, please reconsider buying the hi-point. I saw a guy with one at the range and it was jam after jam after jam.

2. Remove Ads

Owned one, sold it to finance a 1911. The only reason I miss it is the cheap ammo and the SW 642 I sold with it. Trigger was really bad, could not conceal as well as a commander 1911, didn't really fit my hand well. It was reliable and inexpensive (cheap are guns that are not reliable). I would suggest looking at other models. It was an SW9VE.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

I would reconsider purchasing the Hi-Point. Those don't have a good reputation at all. A used J-frame revolver would be of MUCH better service to you until you can finance your platform of choice.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

well, a hi point is better than nothing, but why not just spend another $100 for a S&W? if you really need a gun for HD, and you don't want a Sigma, by a used gun. most of the time, a used gun works just as good as a new one. if money's tight, get a revolver.

dude, seriously, don't get the hi point.

I owned a Sigma 40 and while it was reliable, I didn't like the ergonomics of it. I got what I think is called slide bite. Blisters formed on my thumb knuckle and made my hand hurt.
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

I had a 9mm. Never failed to feed, fire or eject. Granted the trigger sucked but it got better with use. I traded it in for a Ruger SR-9 which has been back to the factory 2x already. I really wish I had kept the Sigma.

GOLDSHELLACK BUY YOUR HI POINT A C9 WIEGHS AS MUCH AS A BRICK 3lb

I have a 9ve, carry IWB. A little big, a little uncomfortable, but 16+1 is very comfortable.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I know you guys will shoot me, no pun intended, but I am going to pick up a hi point for the time being and then when I can get extra money, get something better. Reasons are I need something now to protect my home, woke up to someone on my patio this morning and was unarmed. Do not have my ccw yet but that will be soon I hope.
    Do what you gotta do. They are not pretty but it will probably due. Get Comfortable with it and it should do the job.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I have read all the responses, sorry for the delay in responding, I do not have my own computer right now and the ones i normally use block this site, so I read all of this on a small screen cell phone, almost daily.

I know the SW is only 100 more than a Hi Point, but I did not have an extra 100, being a single parent with no help from my childs mother, I am on a tight budget. Hopefully will have my CCW in Nov or Dec, taking the class on the 8th of Nov. and then I just need to apply. Once I get extra money, I will buy something nicer, it maybe a brick compared to others, but in my mind, some lead would be better than no lead in the event the SHTF.

You are right. Do what you gotta do and get business taken care of.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I have read all the responses, sorry for the delay in responding, I do not have my own computer right now and the ones i normally use block this site, so I read all of this on a small screen cell phone, almost daily.

I know the SW is only 100 more than a Hi Point, but I did not have an extra 100, being a single parent with no help from my childs mother, I am on a tight budget. Hopefully will have my CCW in Nov or Dec, taking the class on the 8th of Nov. and then I just need to apply. Once I get extra money, I will buy something nicer, it maybe a brick compared to others, but in my mind, some lead would be better than no lead in the event the SHTF.
    if money's really tight, you should look into a used gun. you can get a very nice used gun for the price of a new hi point. this isn't a slight against Hi Point, but they aren't the most reliable handgun. a used revolver will be infinitely more reliable, and the trigger pull will be similar to a sigma. again, nothing against Hi Points: my brother has two, in .45ACP, but he trusts his PF9 and S&W model 60 with his life.

another option, if you only need it for home defense, is a shotgun. they aren't too expensive; you can get a side-by-side for under $200, or a pump action for under $300.

raising a child on your own is difficult; i know, i did it for a little while. i totally understand where you're coming from. but you wouldn't skimp on a car seat for your kid, would you? it goes along the same lines. skip a few meals for yourself if you have to, and find corners to cut wherever you can.

I guarantee. That 99% of the people who flame the Sigma are Glock owners. Since the Sigma was one of the first polymer guns after the Glock there was a big anti-Sigma-they-are-Glock-rip-offs campaign. I bought a Glock 17 right after I turned 21 a few years later I bought the Sigma SW9V. I took them both to the range using the same ammo in which the Glock had 1 jam and 1 FTF. I put the same rounds in the Sigma and it fired, not only that but I fired 1 inch tighter groups with the Sigma. I soon after sold the Glock. I have had this gun for 10+ years without a single problem. I have used range ammo, blazer, and every other crap ammo there is without a hitch. I have 2000-3000 rds through it. I now use WWB for the range and carry Golden Saber 17+1. Since it has treated me so well. I decided to treat her to polish job.

Quote Originally Posted by JammanX View Post
    I guarantee. That 99% of the people who flame the Sigma are Glock owners. Since the Sigma was one of the first polymer guns after the Glock there was a big anti-Sigma-they-are-Glock-rip-offs campaign. I bought a Glock 17 right after I turned 21 a few years later I bought the Sigma SW9V. I took them both to the range using the same ammo in which the Glock had 1 jam and 1 FTF. I put the same rounds in the Sigma and it fired, not only that but I fired 1 inch tighter groups with the Sigma. I soon after sold the Glock. I have had this gun for 10+ years without a single problem. I have used range ammo, blazer, and every other crap ammo there is without a hitch. I have 2000-3000 rds through it. I now use WWB for the range and carry Golden Saber 17+1. Since it has treated me so well. I decided to treat her to polish job.
    [IMG]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002297&
    id=1405704466&saved#/photo.php?pid=30105089&id=1405704466[/IMG]
    image fail.

My alternate carry weapon is a S&W SW9F Sigma. It was the original and can't say anything bad about it. Even used it to take second place in an IPSEC match.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links