S&W Sigma Series any good?

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma Series any good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone able to give me some person insight on the S&W Sigma series? I am looking for personal experience with it, reviews or whatever you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma Series any good?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Anyone able to give me some person insight on the S&W Sigma series? I am looking for personal experience with it, reviews or whatever you maybe able to provide. I found out from the owner of a local gunshop that they will be going on sale in a week or so and thought about putting it in Law-a-way, and I spoke to him about my situation (single parent, no help from mom, not alot of extra income) and he said that if I was good on payments, he would be willing to allow me longer than his standard 45 days to pay it off (Now if only I could find a CHEAP ccw insturctor). Anyways, how does it compare to the Glock 19 (Which I have had for a while about 5 years ago), what comes in the factory box, is it easy to conceal? I would like to get a Springfield XD, but money is going to be a huge issue, and for less than 300 bucks can have 9mm or .40 cal, which should I get (caliber).

Thanks for the insight

note, sorry if it seems like a long ramble, typed on a cell phone

I have shot about 100 cartridges through a 9mm sigma. I think it's a crappy gun and that's why it is only $300. The trigger is really long and "spongy". Its hard to tell when the shot is going to break. I don't see anything attractive about the Sigma except the price. I mean I'm sure you can make it work for you, by why? Honestly I would at least rent it first BUT I think you will be better suited w/ another gun. Just save for a little longer and then buy something better.

Sigmas were not very well received in most circles, by some accounts it's one of the worst S&W designs in recent memory (if not ever). I've only dry-fired one in the store, and I hated it, the trigger was awful. The dealer pretty much told me they sucked and that I probably wouldn't be interested.

If it were the first handgun you ever fired, then you might not know any better for awhile, but since you already have the excellent G19, I predict that you'll be sorely disappointed in the Sigma. But that's just me, I could be wrong. Their M&P, on the other hand, seems to be a very good pistol, particularly the later generations.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I'm surprised they still produce them. Guess for the cheap market only. If you no longer have your G-19, start shopping for a nice used one for the same price.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Just say NO.

Find a beat up S&W 3913 or a Sig P6 for the same price and have a reliable gun.

Hell, buy a Colt 2inch BBL revolver for $225 and carry that over a S&W Stigma...er, Sigma.

The gunshop owner that I work gunshows for told me that Smith was working on up grading the trigger and possibly making one that would be retro to the current models. I have sold baskets full of Sigmas, they must be all right or people would not purchase them. We must remember that we all had to find an entry level gun that fit our needs and budget.

Sigma is a bit big for concealed carry, it can be done but I prefer something a bit smaller. On a budget?? Check out taurus. Also take a look at charter arms. Another good choice would be a makarov.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Smile Sigma 9ve

I have a Sigma 9ve with over 2,000 rnds through it with NO problems. The infamous trigger pull does smooth out after 3 to 4 hundred rnds and becomes quite predictable thereafter.It goes BANG everytime and has had no FTE,FTF issues. Like any weapon you have to go to the range,become comfortable with your piece and Shoot it often! Don`t let the price fool you,this is a nice working weapon.

Sigma

It's not a bad gun. Very durable and sturdy. We have a rental at the range that holds up well to long term use. The magazines are very sturdy, but the big fat base pad is a pain to conceal. A NIB Sigma should have 2 magazines included. My normal carry guns include a Glock 17 and 19, and a 5" 1911 in the rotation, so I'm not the best judge of what's good to conceal. What I'm willing to put up with for CCW may be diffrerent than you. The triggers suck, a lot. The good news is that a target trigger job is pretty easy to do and cheap. Probably easy enough to do yourself if you're handy, less than $40 at the gunsmith if you're not. My bottom line opinion, a great value for the money. Around here 9mm is still cheaper than .40 and I trust my life all the time to the 9mm. I carry 9, .40, and .45 without any concerns about the calibers and power. If I was on a budget I would load Winchester USA 115gr JHP in a Sigma, stick it in an Uncle Mike's holster, drop the spare in my back pocket, and go on with life.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I have sold baskets full of Sigmas, they must be all right or people would not purchase them.
    There are probably more Hi-Points sold at gunshows than anything else. I still wouldn't allow one in my house!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Not a bad pistol for the money ! It got it's reputation from people who didn't own one and bad mouthed it.I'll give you the trigger has the long throw.

You said you own (or at one point did) a G19? Well you will be very disappointed w/ the Sigma. Save yourself the grief and don't buy one!!! In fact I'm going to buy a G19 in the very near future!

i've had a 9VE for over 2 years now. i recently had to send it back to S&W for repairs: it started to have FTFs and dropping mags while shooting. they sent it back to me in 14 days, practically in brand new condition. up until last month, i had not one problem with mine. the trigger's a bit long, but if you've shot DA revolvers, it's no difference. the trigger smooths out after 2 or 3 boxes of ammo, and for me, it points more naturally than a glock. it's a great gun for the money, and S&W stands behind their product.

My 40VE is just like all of my other Smiths... a completely reliable gun in over 5000 rounds. I use to carry it but my M&P40c is my primary now days but the 40VE with a light on it is the night stand gun with 15+1 rounds available (old 40 Sigma mags).

It is a great HD gun and one I trust completely.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I tell everybody that the only thing I want for Christmas is Academy gift cards. Took a bunch of 'em to Academy this past January and got a Sigma 40ve on sale for $279. plus a $50 rebate and two free 15 round mags. So, no cash out of my pocket, a good deal and a decent gun. Couldn't ask for more.

Not my carry gun. Shot a boat load through it with no problems. Trigger pull is ok, no problem. It's usually behind the seat of my truck for easy access when I'm strapped in and can't get to the Beretta.

Some one on this post suggested a Taurus over the sigma. Now that's throwing your money away.

If you got $300., save a little more and get a Beretta or a Glock.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links