Are many of you doing "Fluff & Buff" to BUG's?

This is a discussion on Are many of you doing "Fluff & Buff" to BUG's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious as to how many members are doing something similar to a "Fluff and Buff" on their BUG's? Here's a how-to: GoldenLoki.com I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are many of you doing "Fluff & Buff" to BUG's?

Are many of you doing "Fluff & Buff" to BUG's?

Just curious as to how many members are doing something similar to a "Fluff and Buff" on their BUG's? Here's a how-to: GoldenLoki.com

I have a AMT .45 BUG and it came through rough as heck. It did not cycle or function all that well. But I did a careful Fluff and Buff and the difference was absolutely amazing. It's smooth as silk now.

I'm curious to see how many other members are Fluffing their BUG's. I'm most interested in this procedure as it relates to BUG's only. Larger guns don't seem as prone to malfunctions as small guns.

Lemme know if you're a "Fluffer"................

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Gunsmithing

I do a lot of Flyer Wires on .32 Kel Tecs and Tomcats. I have never seen a Kel Tec .380 that didn't make "smileys" and I offer to work on every KT .380 I see on the range where I work. Many folks don't even know the problem exists with their gun, and most will pay to have the problem fixed. I haven't seen a LCP yet, but I assume it will have the same problem. The other common BUGs are mini Glocks, and most of the owrk there is for LEOs. Not every agency allows trigger connector changes so most of the work is a polish job, improving what is there without changing anything. The other classic BUG is the snub .38, and there is always work doing trigger jobs, Wolff springs when necessary, etc. Especially for new owners or CCW holders who appriciate a smoother pull in a hard-for-a-beginner-to-shoot gun. Steady money.

done it for the keltec .380
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Great post Chevy SS (like the 427 badge too). It will be interesting to read the posts.

I hate the notion of "fluff & buff." It may indeed be necessary but it is a big rip.

Guns that require a "fluff & buff" in order to function well are in the same category as new tires that require "patching & plugging" before they'll hold air.

I f&b'd a Keltec .380. Not sure it needed it as it was pretty smooth inside. It was a newer one with a hard-chrome slide.

Had one off-hand limp-wrist FTE in 150 rounds, so apparently I did it no harm.

Did my P3AT but not my P-11.

No problems with either so I don't know if it helped or not.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Administrator

Semi-automatics.

The smaller the semi - the more all friction causing surfaces need to be smooth and free of machine marks.

I sure did need to polish out my Kel-Tec .380

> I highly polished the guide rod.

> I broke the inside and outside sharp edges of the hole in the slide that the guide rod runs through.

> I polished the barrel feed ramp.

> I lightly polished the barrel chamber.

> I lightly stoned the breech face.

> I lightly polished the magazine feed lips to cut down on that friction.

> I polished the slide run that runs over the hammer as the slide moves to the rear.

> I lightly wet sanded the slide rails with Extra Fine 1500 Grit 3M Wet or Dry....and oil.

It never skips a beat now.

and mine sure needed all of the above as it was pretty rough.

I should add that the functioning on my particular KT was terrible when I first had it out.
    I almost wanted to dig a deep hole and toss it in and bury it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    "Fluff and Buff" is for pistols who's manufacturers need to ramp up the QC. I will gladly pay a bit more for a well finished relaible gun out of the box. Kel Tec is a prime example. It needs to spend more time doing these internal componet hand finishing processes in the factory and not using its customers as a test bed for QC issues. 15-20% return rate for repairs is not exceptable. Its a shame because their pistol are generally well designed and inovative, but then again thats why they sell at the price point they do!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have done it to a couple older Kel-tecs but my newer P3AT (2nd gen) and PF9 required no F&B.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    If some of these makers would put an extra 15 minutes into each semi-auto firearm just properly tuning and tensioning extractors - that would make a huge difference in cutting down return rates.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    F+B on the two p32's in this household.

I always polish the feed ramps on most guns to mirror, including 1000+ dollar guns. Just something I do--------

except for the glocks, they don't need anything but ammo and a tigger finger to run

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

My P3AT has been perfect right out of the box so I don't want to take the chance of screwing it up. I have a 2nd Gen chrome model so that seems to help.

.380s

I don't think the BUGs in general "need" a F&B. That said, for the price point, the manufacturers can't afford to completely work the internals finish-wise. There are plenty of Kel Tecs that come into the range that have had never had any work done to them that still run fine. Most of the problems I see are simple operator errors. FN1910 and MNBurl, have you checked your .380s for Smileys? You are in the minority if your's work out of the box without doing it.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I carry a Seecamp, so the answer is No, there is no need to fluff, buff or "de-horn", as it comes ready to go.

I have not checked in detail for smileys but I have not noticed one yet and looked several times with a cursory glance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links