Police Similarity?

This is a discussion on Police Similarity? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many people here think it would be a good idea to carry a weapon similar to what local LE do. I think it might ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Similarity?

Police Similarity?

How many people here think it would be a good idea to carry a weapon similar to what local LE do. I think it might be a good idea in some circumstances. I know we all have our pet favorite EDC but I tend to think if you have a BG at gunpoint when LE rolls up. It would maybe make an LEO flinch an extra second on the trigger finger if you are holding a GLOCK or other similar LE issue weapon in sted of a Nickel revolver or fancy pearl handled 1911.

BTW...just kinda bored and thought this would make an interesting thread.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think it would make any difference. I don't even closely resemble a law enforcement officer.

I think you need to go back to being bored.

When the LEO rolls up I doubt that the kind of gun you are holding on someone is going to matter. Just put it down very carefully when he tells you to and don't make any sudden moves.

JD
    Administrator
    I don't think it will make a lick of difference. Regardless of what you're carrying you're still a non uniformed person pointing a firearm at another, and that's going to make for a tense situation.

VIP Member
    I don't think it would make any difference what you have in your hand when the police show up. All he is going to see is you holding a gun. He's not worried about whether its a glock/sig/hk or a pink keltec. His only concern when he arrives is if you obey his commands immediately.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Great idea--get yourself a uniform and a COP car like they have too. You'll fit right in...but better yet, join up--they're always looking for a few good people! :)

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Thats the last reason I would carry a particular weapon. Most PD require a certain weapon so that they don't have to send someone to every Amory school in the nation and than try to keep parts in stock for way to many different brands. I can promise you that if you ever get into a shooting the courts will care less that your weapon is what the PD carries in your area.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    I think a Glock is a good idea for when the leo makes you throw it on the ground. That way you won't be scratching a nice "Nickel revolver or fancy pearl handled 1911." :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think a Glock is a good idea for when the leo makes you throw it on the ground. That way you won't be scratching a nice "Nickel revolver or fancy pearl handled 1911." :)
    Good thought there because you better put it down in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post
    Great idea--get yourself a uniform and a COP car like they have too. You'll fit right in...but better yet, join up--they're always looking for a few good people! :)

You forgot the CCW Badge!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am an LEO, the olny avantage to being an instructor was you got to try out other models. Don't worry what other people carry, you must feel comfortable with the gun first--Does it feel good in your grip, does it point straight (how does the front sight come up on target? fast?) and don't go for the big bang theory--good hits and placement are most important,pratice and enjoy.

Administrator
    I'm not worried about what kind of gun a potential BG has, only that he has one. It doesnt matter if its a high end model or a HiPoint, a gun is a gun at that point.

Anybody who has ever responded to a call like that will tell you the same thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1. As many have already said, LEO is not going to care what kind of gun you have, just that you have one.

2. Very likely that the gun your local PD issues is a full-size or service-sized weapon that may not be easily concealable for you.

3. For whatever reasons, you may not be able to comfortably, accurately, or safely shoot the gun issued by your local PD.

Know your local laws. Be sure that if you ever do need to use your weapon, you're within the guidelines of your state/local laws for use of force. When a LEO arrives on scene do EXACTLY what he/she says, when he/she tells you to do it. In general, as long as you didn't use your weapon irresponsibly, eventually, everything will work out.

-JT

Well just so everybody understands..not a mall ninja here or a CCW badge buyer. Just one of those silly forum questions others have asked on here from time to time. It came from a conversation that evolved into a dumb curiousity. I work with police quite regularly, as a probation officer. I deal with some of the worst long after the police have left...generally by myself, no backup, radios uniforms or squad cars. Half my family are LEO and almost all of my friends. Our local SD issues .357 SIG, in the Glock 31. Partially due to the fact that ballistically it is a wicked round, and partially due to the fact it is an oddball caliber in these parts...meaning that if someone here is shot with a .357 sig it makes it a good possibility it may be an LE weapon. Didn't think I would catch crap for just asking a curious question to get every one talking and thinking. Ill try and refrain from asking dumb questions from now on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

1943 - 2009
    Well, Ayoob recommends using the same ammo that your local PD carries.

But carry the same gun?

Nope, don't think so.

Of course, you might find yourself assisting the police in a protracted firefight with a group of armed terrorists or bank robbers. Carrying the same gun and ammo as the police would simplify the logistical problems...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links