AMT Backup

AMT Backup

This is a discussion on AMT Backup within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey All, I am a new CC'er and I had a question for all you experts there... My father in law, a former cop, gave ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMT Backup

AMT Backup

Hey All,

I am a new CC'er and I had a question for all you experts there...

My father in law, a former cop, gave me his AMT Backup, and I have fired about 150 rounds through it with little problems.

My question is when I am CCing, should there be a bullet in the chamber. I have heard strong arguments either way. Mind you there is no safety, but has a hefty trigger pull, and is double action only.

So let me know what ya'll think please..

One other thing, I know some people have a disdain for the AMT Backup, but dad-in-law had it for 10 years and swears by it, and his opinion matters much more than anonymous nay-sayers... So please keep on topic
    Thanks!

Hi incakola and welcome. I'm also a new CC'er and have heard more people than not, say that unless you are carrying one in the chamber, why bother. However, being new, I will carry a full mag, no round chambered until I am much more comfortable (and I have an external safety). By the way, this forum is a great soruce of information and valuable opinions of very knowledgeable folks.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have had an AMT DAO .380 backup for a really long time. 15 years plus and it has always went bang. Never jambs.

The only way I carry it is with one in the chamber but I always use a holster. Pocket carry or IWB.

I personally would never carry a gun with nothing in the chamber or without a holster for that matter. The time it takes you to rack the slide could mean the difference between living and dieing.

If you aren't sure enough of yourself to have one in the pipe don't get yourself into a jamb. There is another thread running that may shed some light on this for you. Bottom lime you can find yourself with barely enough time to draw much less rack the slide. From personal experience it was MY WIFE and BABY and a potential carjacker. In less than a second I saw him, he was just feet away from the car reaching for the door. To his surprise as I opened the door and presented my weapon he was only two feet away. He did have a quick change of heart and bugged out. He WAS NOT getting in my car if I had any say and that day I DID. BUT he was close enough he could probably see that large hole in the end of that CorBon round IN THE PIPE.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Thanks High Altitude Exactly the kind of input I need. (Glad you like the backup too!) I have a IWB holster, and I totally agree with you about the time it takes to rack... I was just concerned with the lack of safety being unsafe...

I think I will take a note from 9needawin and carry it unchambered until I have a feel for it. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    If you aren't sure enough of yourself to have one in the pipe don't get yourself into a jamb. There is another thread running that may shed some light on this for you. Bottom lime you can find yourself with barely enough time to draw much less rack the slide. From personal experience it was MY WIFE and BABY and a potential carjacker. In less than a second I saw him, he was just feet away from the car reaching for the door. To his surprise as I opened the door and presented my weapon he was only two feet away. He did have a quick change of heart and bugged out. He WAS NOT getting in my car if I had any say and that day I DID. BUT he was close enough he could probably see that large hole in the end of that CorBon round IN THE PIPE.
    That's a great point... My main reason for having carrying this is to protect my wife and child, I'm fast, but not that fast. Thanks so much for the valuable input.

There were quality issues with the old AMT's, but they were one of the few BUG choices for cops years ago. I'd have a good smith go over it, then shoot the hell out of it, before I chose to carry it. If it was an ankle BUG in it's previous life, it has seen some rough terrain. Quite often the BUGs weren't cared for as well as the primary weapons were.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I would fire at least a 100 rounds of carry ammo if no problems then I would carry it,semi autos are designed to carry with one in the pipe,there are no cops walking around with an empty chamber due to the fact you may not have the time or ability to chamber a round,we practice bad breath defense where you strike the target with the palm of your off hand in the face as you draw and fire 2 rounds in the chest from retention
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I had a smith take a loot at it... Did a deep clean and lube... He said it was in excellent condition... As I said, I put 150 through it, and had 1 shell get stuck in ejection... It's been a champ.

My main concern was carrying one in the chamber with no safety... It everyone thinks that's fine, then I have no worries... You guys know more about CCW than I do.

VIP Member
    Personally I won't carry without a round chambered. In a SHTF situation, you are not going to have time to rack the slide. Until recently my carry guns were DA decocker models. A gun with a decocker does not have a safety either. I have carried with one in the pipe for over 12 years. The guns have never fired unless I squeezed the trigger. Contrary to what the anti's try and tell us, a gun does not have a mind of it's own, nor will it go on a shooting rampage by itself.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would not consider carrying a semi auto weapon without a round chambered. In an attack situation you may not have your weak hand available to rack the slide. imho. good luck with you choice of carry.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    + For a round in the pipe.
    Rule #4 ~ Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire and you shall have no worries.
    JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Look at it this way. A BG and you begin drawing on each other at the same instant. His gun has a round chambered, yours doesn't. Who do you think will get off the first shot?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

+2 on chamber round, DOES A GUN GOOD

Just remember, they are NOT designed for Plus P rounds or Hollow points at
    least my 45Cal isn't according to the Instruction Manual.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Had an AMT Back-up(.380) and was NOT too fond of it. But if it works fine go with it. However, that idea of an empty chamber bothers me. In the moment of decision will you remember to charge the pistol?? Also, small autos are finicky, at least if you have one round properly chambered you can get off THAT shot. What happens when you draw in a real world situation and you get malfunction(double-feed etc)?? NOT GOOD!!! Just something to think about. Good Luck!

OUTSTANDING Roly!!! That situation COULD HAVE WENT VERY BAD HAD YOU NOT BEEN PREPARED!! A lesson for all of us there!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links