PPS

This is a discussion on PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about picking one up. What do you guys think - love'em or hate'em?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PPS

PPS

I am thinking about picking one up. What do you guys think - love'em or hate'em?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    At the price they are offered at, I'd expect a lot better craftsmanship and design. I wouldn't touch one.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: made my point clear
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I am behind the times. What is a PPS? I was thinking of PPK?
    thanks,
    Jerry

Search out Walther PPS...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Thanks, that was what I was thinking.

I know few who have them, but they seem unrealiable compared to many others. I have read that the EG Police used them, but went to the Mak as the Walther was not reliable enough.
    They are pretty, but I would pass.

Regards,
    Jerry

bae
    I've got 1500+ rounds through one now, and it's working fine.

My only issue with it is the lack of spare magazine availability at decent prices.

4 words of advise. Get a Glock instead!

On the S&W site, the pic states PPK/S. I asked a fella at work, he said S stands for slim.

For those of you unfamiliar with a PPS it is Walthers newest offering. Here is a link: Product: PPS 9mm

It is billed as the slimest 9mm out there.

For those of you suggesting Glocks - thanks for the advice but they are two thick for my taste. Great guns but very thick.

I would get a Kahr before I got a Glock.

Back to the original post - for those who have experience with the PPS please add your 2 cents.

Friend of mine bought one within the last two months (.40 cal.) and it has made two trips back to Smith and Wesson. Now it's going back for the third time. It seems some spring keeps coming undone which causes the slide to seize, rendering the gun inoperable. His 9mm works great. One gem and one lemon...go figure. john

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a First Edition model (only 1000 made) and aside from a couple stovepipes (limp wristing a partial culprit) within the first 50 rounds or so, it has been perfect for about 1200 rounds. It is small, accurate, reliable, light-recoiling, and I love it. Everybody likes to bash a new gun.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I bought my .40 PPS about six months ago and absolutely love it.
    The recoil is mild for the gun's size and it is very accurate. It shoots just like a Glock (I have a G27, G23 and G35) including the trigger reset. I have one five round mag that stays in the gun and four six rounders; two on my belt and two in a double pouch in my front pocket. One of the best things about the gun is the short grip with the five round mag in it carries like a dream. Much easier getting in, out and riding in a vehicle. This carries much better than my Glock 27 (thinner / lighter) and better than my Colt Defender (shorter grip / lighter). I also come on target quicker and more naturally than with my other pistols. Another awesome feature is the PPS fits all of my Glock holsters perfectly: my leather Merninckle OWB holster, my Comtac MTAC IWB and my Desanti Super Fly (same model as the G27). This save you a lot of money and you can swap guns without taking your holster off.

Last but not least, I have had zero feeding problems / failures / malfunctions in about 800 rounds now. This gun was way cheaper than my Defender plus the Defender needed a substantial investment in troubleshooting time, ammo and gunsmithing before I felt it was perfectly reliable. The PPS was good to go from day one. No gunsmithing / upgrades required.

Use your search function to research the PPS further. I have read several threads where there were plenty of happy PPS owners.
    Be aware that when the PPS first came out it had problems and I think the .40 cal problems were ironed out a year or two ago, so check the dates of the threads that you read. Some of the complaining is not applicable anymore.

I almost forgot to mention that I am a lefty and the trigger guard mag release is faster and more natural for me to use than the standard type of mag release. I think this gun was well worth every penny.

Funny, most dealers around here haven't heard of it either. When I ask for a PPS, they always correct me and say "you mean PPK/S."

They're pretty scarce, so far I've not been able to find one in the area, and all the major online vendors are out of stock. If I could get my hands on one in 9mm, I think I'd have to buy it. The vast majority of reviews and user experiences I've come across have been glowing. The few problems I've heard have been mostly with the .40 model.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

VIP Member
    My wife has a PPS in 9mm. It is flawless in 6 months of ownership. I've shot it a number of times - very accurate. I just can't warm up to it though, but she loves it.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I tried a friend's 9mm PPS and I was totally impressed. It was easily as accurate as my P7 (that is no small accomplishment). The ergonomics were unusual, but not uncomfortable. I would like to own one myself in the near future.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links