SIG P220 vs Glock 21SF

This is a discussion on SIG P220 vs Glock 21SF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously considering moving from my 1911 Gov't to either a SIG P220 (full size) or a Glock 21SF. I've been a SIG fan ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P220 vs Glock 21SF

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

SIG P220 vs Glock 21SF

I am seriously considering moving from my 1911 Gov't to either a SIG P220 (full size) or a Glock 21SF. I've been a SIG fan for a while and Glock is growing on me a lot.

Is one pistol significantly wider or longer in the grip than the other?

Of the two, which would you pick and why?

I'm also open to suggestions for other full size .45ACPs except for XD.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I am kind of biased. I own a Sig P220 in the carry version which is just about a .5" shorter than the full size. I love the gun. With a set of Hougue Grips it is just about perfect. Now to me the Glock grip is a bit blocky and does not fit my hand well. What is your experience with other Glocks? Because the grip is the only reason I don't own any Glocks. I have fired a 21SF and beside the grip not fitting my hand to well, it is a great gun. From experience though I am at 3500 rounds through the Sig and not a single hicup. I did not notice a significant difference in width or length, but that is just from a purely visual inspection as well as feel. May I also suggest the HK45 which I think is great, I plan on buying one as soon as the funds are there. Hope this helps.

SigNY

Well, after having the G21 and the G30 for a few years, I somehow gravitated away from the Glocks that didn't seem to work well for me in the 45acp and got me a SIG P220R 45 TSS SAO. I believe it's the best 45 I've ever owned or shot actually. Glock comes out with the G21sf a year later, but I've never looked back. They are all still one happy family though.

Very nice Sig Ram Rod. They are beautiful guns. Oh and the Glocks are nice too. Just could never get past the way they fit in my hand.

Ramrod: For me and others looking at this posting while considering whether to head towards glocks or sigs, could you say a little more...?

"...gravitated away from the Glocks that didn't seem to work well for me in the 45acp ..."

I think you're saying you don't like the 21/30's as much as the sig...can you share why?

I'm jealous, RamRod. I would love to have a Sig P220. I would likely get stainless, but either way a fine pistol. There are used P220 stainless models in the latest CDNN, maybe I will call for the price and see if it's a deal or not.

I like Sigs and own a few. The only thing I am not sure of is how much use / abuse can they handle VS a glock. I feel more confident with my G30 - I tend to carry my Glocks more than any other gun - simple, fool proof ( I proved that) and dependable. My Sigs are more accurate and they have not let me down but I have not put that many rounds thru them as my glocks. Sigs look better.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydr2 View Post
    Ramrod: For me and others looking at this posting while considering whether to head towards glocks or sigs, could you say a little more...?

"...gravitated away from the Glocks that didn't seem to work well for me in the 45acp ..."

I think you're saying you don't like the 21/30's as much as the sig...can you share why?
    Sure. The G21 for me had just too big of a grip, I'd end up re-arranging my grasp on it in order to change mags and hit the mag release. The G21 comes stock with an extended mag release by the way. I did carry it for one winter OWB under a jacket of course. The weight didn't bother me. The G30 was my last of the two to go, and I did my best to work with it as a carry piece. Good shooter, and easily managed, but it was too top heavy for me. I also carried this for a while in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide. Last September, I picked up and handled a CPO P220 at a local gun show and liked it, but I was still thinking about going back to a 1911 at that point and had actually started looking at the new SIG GSR and Revolution models. I placed an add for my G30 in the newspaper and got several calls. One fellow asked me if I would be willing to trade, and what I'd be looking for. I mentioned the SIGs and he said he had one I might be interested in. We met three days later, I picked the P220 SAO up out of the box, field stripped it, put it back together and the old boy told me it was okay to dry fire. After that it was a done deal. It came with two mags and night sites in the original box. Since then I've acquired four more new mags for this pistol, and I like shooting it better than the others actually. The SAO trigger has a reset similar to the Glocks in my opinion, about the same pull, but smoother. One of the best features about the P220 SAO is that you can rack the slide to chamber a round with the thumb safety engaged.

Arrow get a GLocK

is the SIG P220 (full size) or Glock 21SF going to be your primary CCW?

I found the P220 full size too big to easily conceal. It can be done, just not that easy. I sold my P220 and got a Glock 30. I wasn't sure how I would like a 3.78" barrel. The longer barrel tending to be more accurate. But I have shot IDPA, etc ... with the Glock 30 and it holds right up there with the 5" barrel 1911s and such. It's so much easier to conceal than the long handled P220. I love it. And it holds 10 rounds in mag and one in chamber, 2 more than the P220. The wide grip of the Glock 30 fits my hand great, it feels very stable and better than the P220. I also bought the 9 round mag for the G30 which makes the handle quite a bit shorter for when I dress really light in hot weather.

Glock 21 Torture test - Theprepared.com

I have been a Sig fan for a long time too but have come to figure out how great Glocks are. Between your choices I would get the G21, but I would take a serious look at the G30 before you buy one. I wanted a G21 but it's too big for me to use as an everyday CCW. Maybe the way you dress and/or your body type can conceal a full size but I can't except maybe in the winter.

my equip= Glock 30, MTAC holster, Beltman 1.5" horsehide belt. I love the combo, best I've ever had.
    What color is the sky in your world?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
    is the SIG P220 (full size) or Glock 21SF going to be your primary CCW?
    In short, yes.

I'm going to look at them in the morning. I know the shop has a G21SF and I hope they have a P220 so that I may compare them.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I would at minimum compare them by handling them both before deciding on one. Better if you could shoot them both before deciding. The grip on the P220 is much slimmer.

Both are great guns and you can't lose either way. You may just want to consider which feels better.

Sigs are great firearms but I didn't like the 10 lb pull of the first shot. I got a Glock with 5.5 lb pull and like it so much better.

Don't rush into it. Take your time and compare the choices you have.
    What color is the sky in your world?

DC Founder
    Although I have, for the last five years, been predominantly a 1911 guy, I recently bought a Sig P220 and have to say I love it. I like the design, the reliability and the accuracy. I have not had a real problem concealing it although I will admit that it does not conceal as well as my 1911. Since I bought it to be used as a duty gun rather than a concealed carry gun, that's not really a problem.

I have had the same problems, mentioned above by Ram Rod and others with the Glock. They don't fit well in my hand and, because of that, I don't shoot them very well. While Glocks are, in my opinion, very good guns, they are in one way (and one way only) like a 1911. They are not for everyone....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I've owned and have experience with both, and didn't like either. I really wanted to like the big Glock, but the grip is HUGE. I've got large hands, and it never settled in. The Sigs are fine guns, but I've got a problem transitioning between the double and single action. It's such a different trigger pull my first two shots were never consistent.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Have to go along with the grip problem with Glocks. I have a P220 Equinox which conceals well in a Versa Max II. I find both guns very accurate. The trigger issue with the 220 is much better on newer guns. As for the DA/SA feature, it is more noticable in slow fire practice. In a stress situation, competitive shooting, you hardly notice the transition and the SA trigger is much better than any Glock trigger.

I prefer Sigs and have 3. I have shot my 226 much more than the 220. That said I have never had a problem to go bang. (Except a handload I messed up) I will preface this next comment with,"Glocks are excellent, reliable, and accurate guns". But they are UGLY!

Sponsor
    I've got 3 220's and 1 glock 21sf.

Two of the 220's are W. German, the third a "carry" model [ think commander compared to govt model ].

The W. German 220's grip is pretty sweet with the older grips they used. The current 220's and my "carry" come with updated grips and I don't like them, they're fatter and don't fit my hand as well. I had to switch out the "carry" grips immediately to their thin grips for the gun. Now it fits fine.

My 21sf is the gun I've been packin on the streets primarily since I bought it 4-5 weeks ago. It's grip is reduced enough over the 21's so that I can shoot it very well where the 21's was just not going to work. The difference is only 3mm [ I think thats right ], but it's enough for my hand to hold onto it under rapid fire drills without problems.

I personally think the g21sf has less felt recoil than the 220 "carry" and I think it's a matter of bore axis between the two. The 220 "carry" shoots very damned nice indeed, and I don't mean to say it's recoil is heavy in anyway, but it does jump up more than the 21sf for me. I also prefer the constant trigger pull weight of the glock over the DA/SA 220's. I can run the DA/SA pretty well, but the first shot or two with the 220's are not as "on threat" with speed as the 21sf.

I like em both, a lot, but I prefer the 21sf for it's higher capacity on tap without a mag change. I wouldn't sell any of my 220's, especially the W. German models. I've got some Arondondo +4 mag extensions for the 21sf, and carry the stock 13 rd mag in the gun, which gives me 31 rds of 45 with one mag change for the 21sf vs 17 with one mag change for the 220.

edited to add: I forgot to mention, I think the 220 conceals a tad better in my OWB rigs

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links