Kel-Tec P-3AT or Ruger LCP ?????

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P-3AT or Ruger LCP ????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a P-3AT. I held the LCP for the first time yesterday. The fit and finish on the LCP is better. I like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P-3AT or Ruger LCP ?????

Kel-Tec P-3AT or Ruger LCP ?????

I own a P-3AT. I held the LCP for the first time yesterday. The fit and finish on the LCP is better. I like the slide lock on the LCP. The main reason for me even asking this question is because of the slide lock on the LCP.

My P-3AT has eaten 440 rounds with 3 failures within the first 50 rounds. Hopefully that was just break in. I fire exclusively WWB FMJ and Gold Dot JHP. 400 rounds were WWB and 40 were Gold Dot. The failures were with WWB which I fired exclusively for the first 100 rounds.

I've got a chance to trade for an LCP. It will cost me $50 and I will have to buy 3 magazines to get the setup I have with my P-3AT.

If you had the choice, which weapon would you choose and why?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I own alot of ruget pistols and rifles.Their reputation is excellent compared to
    any of the competion.They tend to be over built and will last a lifetime. I say
    spend the extra fifty and buy the ruger or if you can afford it keep keltec and
    buy the ruger.

I like my P-3AT for that once in a while pocket gun. I see no advantage of the 'Ruger twin' over the KelTec...neither is going to win prizes for shooting comfort...either will work for up close SD. OMO
    Buff the KT and keep it...save your money for a real EDC.

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Keltec P3AT & Ruger LCP are basically the same gun. Ruger is little nicer in finish. I have both, as I just love Rugers and had to have an LCP. Blind folded, I doubt I could tell one from the other. If the Keltec suits your needs, there is no real advantage to spending extra bucks to acquire the LCP. Both serve the same purpose very well.

+1 on McCain/ Palin 2008 !!!!!

Does your KT work? If so, that is a lot of money for a slide lot that you don't need. Buy ammo.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Tuff call...50 denaros for a new gun. I guess it all depends on what you paid for the KT...I paid 265. But buying some more magazines though might sway me to stay with the KT.

Rick

Actual cost will be $50 + $75 for mags right? That's night sights or 400 rnds of WWB. Pass on the Ruger. I shot one and liked the feel; however, I keep hearing about problems. Your KT is a known reliable gun.

Stick with the KT if you already own it. It's not like you are going to shoot IDPA with the Ruger and need the slide lock. I carry a P3at in my back pocket at all times as a BUG. I don't rely on mine as a primary, unless I am running.

I had a KT. Hated it and sold it. Lots of issues. Bought a LCP recently. So far, I like it. That being said, don't fall for new toy syndrome. You know the KT is working for you and you have the mags already. You would feel silly if you sold your KT and bought a lemon LCP.

I had terrible luck with a P3AT. After messing with it for weeks I finally gave up on it. It wouldn't fire a magazine without one failure to feed using ball ammo.

After a while the LCP came out. I decided to give it a try and am glad I did. It's been 100% reliable for about 500 rounds now. I really like the little guy and it goes everywhere with me, even when I'm carrying my 1911.

I have 3 KT all over 500 rounds I would stay with the Kel Tec. The slide lock only works when you lock slide . and pretty doesn't win fights.
    Give me the LCP and I will trade it for a KT . KT didn't copy Ruger
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I've had a P3AT for 3 years now and it satisfies my need for a tiny concealable handgun. The Ruger has a nicer external appearance but it's only a matter of ugly and uglier. Slide lock is a nice feature but isn't worth the cost of the trade.

LCP or Kel-Tech

I have a relatively new LCP, and i would not take $400 for it! It shoots absolutey flawless! I had it at the range this past weekend, and shot the hornady 90gr jhp and it and the winclean winchester; it eats both like sugar, and for a little gun it is really accurate! It is very easy to break down and clean also..another plus. I have another Ruger; an old P85 9mm that has has several hundred rounds thru it without ever a jam! Rugers at top in quality for the money. I just wish I could shoot more....

Does anyone finally know if the keltec belt clip fits on the LCP?

My wife and I have a P3AT and it jams more than it fires sometimes. However, I absolutely love my North American Arms (NAA) Guardian in 380.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links