Thoughts on GLOCK slimline

This is a discussion on Thoughts on GLOCK slimline within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been increased interest here on the Walther PPS. Loving glocks as I do, and knowing that they have had plenty success with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on GLOCK slimline

There has been increased interest here on the Walther PPS. Loving glocks as I do, and knowing that they have had plenty success with the G36 (slimline .45), I can't help but wonder why they don't offer
    G26/27 in a slim frame single stack as well as the traditional double stack.

It seems a common arguement against Glocks is they are too "thick", or "blocky". That potential buyer looking for a polymer striker fired subcompact then turns to Kahr, Walther PPS, Springfield XD, and a few others. Wouldn't you think Glock would want to lock up as much of the market share as they could? Heck---they have the reputation and an established name brand behind them.

Maybe this is already in the works and I have been living under a rock... Thoughts?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    My guess is that a single stack G26/27 would carry too few rounds for most people, and would not sell well. Many people who really would love to have a G-36, buy a G-30 instead for the extra rounds it holds.

I don't particularly find the lower round capacity of the G-36 as a negative, since the lightness and thinness of the gun, to me, are more important because it is what I carry every day. I have other guns with greater capacity that I simply do not carry because they are too thick, or too heavy to be comfortable. My opinion is if you can't do it with 7 rounds, you probably should not be carrying a gun in the first place. My 2 cents.

I wish Glock had a single stack either 9mm or 40. I just bought a CW9 and it holds 7 rounds which I think should be adaquate for most situations. IMHO a thinner gun with 7 rounds that is with you is better than a gun with 17 at the house.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

i'd love a slimmer glock in 9mm. actually, i wouldn't, but i'd at least like them a little more. the one feature about glocks that makes me want one is their reliability; it's everything else about them i don't like.

My Glock-36 is a great little gun. It's the first Glock that felt less like a brick in my hand...now it rides on my Harley with me everywhere.
    My Kimber Ultra is my real full-time EDC, and its capacity is 7+1. Well my Glock-36's capacity is 6+1...not much of a difference if you ask me.
    If I'm put into a SD position in a WalMart parking lot (likely scenario), and I can't stop the threat with 7 shots, then maybe I should stay out of WalMart parking lots. I do carry extra mags!

Stay armed...a man has to know his limitations...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I also would love a Glock slimline 9mm. Been wondering this for years? Gaston tends to be stubborn and slow to change. It seems to work though!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I don't particularly find the lower round capacity of the G-36 as a negative, since the lightness and thinness of the gun, to me, are more important because it is what I carry every day. I have other guns with greater capacity that I simply do not carry because they are too thick, or too heavy to be comfortable. My opinion is if you can't do it with 7 rounds, you probably should not be carrying a gun in the first place. My 2 cents.
    Amen!
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    HUmmm--a thinner plastic brick. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    HUmmm--a thinner plastic brick. Interesting.
    Now thats funny ,and I'm a Glock fan.
    But yes I would like a single stack Glock
    Thats why I sold my g30 for a g33 .
    the g30 was too fat for me to conceal.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I own 10 Glocks ( 4 9's, 4 .40's and 2 .45's). I just purchased a Walther PPS. same size as the G26 but VERY Thin - It works basicly the same as a Glock. Parts even look simular. It fits flat in my front pocket. I wish it was a Glock but so far, it is the next best thing - 100% dependable thru 1200 rounds of mixed 9's without cleaning - NO ISSUES. Cleaned and lubed it this weekend. It rides in my front left pocket as a BUG. It may replace my J-frames.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Come on guys...this "if you can't do it with ___ (insert number) you shouldn't be doing it" stuff is a load of crap. There have been plenty of incidents where the shooter was making good hits and it took more than 5, 6, 7, or 8 rounds to put the BG down. Furthermore, since BGs often travel in packs, you may need to shoot 2 or 3 people several times each.

That aside, I think if Glock was to do a single stack 9 and .40 that were significantly slimmer than their normal models and that would hold in the neighborhood of 7-10 rounds (depending on caliber), they would go over big. Much of the reason that many people choose Kahr, Walther, little 1911's, etc. is because they're slimmer. If Glock made a similar sized pistol that retained the reliability of their "flagship" models, the other companies would be in trouble.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I was told yesterday that the G36 is not longer in production. Can anyone confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    I was told yesterday that the G36 is not longer in production. Can anyone confirm that?
    I'm not sure, but if so that's my point...why would they not pick up this part of the market.....I know plenty of people have bought the G36. I'm looking at a Walther PPS....but I would buy a slimline glock 9mm first without any consideration to the Walther if it were offered.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    There has been increased interest here on the Walther PPS. Loving glocks as I do, and knowing that they have had plenty success with the G36 (slimline .45), I can't help but wonder why they don't offer
    G26/27 in a slim frame single stack as well as the traditional double stack.
    It seems a common arguement against Glocks is they are too "thick", or "blocky". That potential buyer looking for a polymer striker fired subcompact then turns to Kahr, Walther PPS, Springfield XD, and a few others. Wouldn't you think Glock would want to lock up as much of the market share as they could? Heck---they have the reputation and an established name brand behind them.

Maybe this is already in the works and I have been living under a rock... Thoughts?
    I do Like my Karr CW 40 . That thing hides very well, then again I am 300 + lbs. I would consider a Glock if it was a little thinner. I do have an XD and find that they are not in some far cry distance different than a Glock in how thin they are. As much as I don t like them seems to me everyone else is trying to get in there League.They should try and make some new changes in there line of guns, would probably spice up the market.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

The civilian market has asked for more slimline Glocks for a long time. The problem is the civilian market is the smallest market share for Glock. If you are a Police agency or military organization, concealment of a fat Glock is not an issue.

I have always wondered why they can make a .45 ACP G36 slide 1.13"
    but when they made the GAP guns (I have a G38 and love it) why the slide is bigger like that of the G20, 21 and 30. I know the GAP's have a higher pressure, but its not any higher than a .40 S&W and their slide width is only 1.18". Its clear they can engineer a 45 caliber slide to be thin and compact, i.e. the G36, so why on earth would they produce a 45 caliber anything with a big ol' thick slide. It seems like lazy engineering to me. They could produce thinner more compact guns if they wanted to, they just don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links