Range Test: The Ghost Rocket connector – it is different

This is a discussion on Range Test: The Ghost Rocket connector – it is different within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In 2006 I posted an experience I had with a Ghost Rocket. Saturday I installed a brand new one to give it a second look. ...

Thread: Range test: The Ghost Rocket connector – it is different

Senior Moderator

Range test: The Ghost Rocket connector – it is different

In 2006 I posted an experience I had with a Ghost Rocket. Saturday I installed a brand new one to give it a second look. I have been using the Ghost Tactical for my G17 connector and the difference is the Rocket is a 3.5# connector. Here's my second experience - I just may keep this one:

I was evaluating the XS sights and the Ghost Rocket in the same session. One really should test one change at a time, but I couldn’t resist.

To simply say the Rocket is a 3.5 pound, polished connector, would be a big understatement. What really makes it unique is the tighter manufacturing tolerance, the debris grooves, and the trigger over-travel tab. The tab is unique and prevents undesirable over-travel after the shot breaks. Since the tab is 'hard' fitted to the gun, there are no set screws etc. to worry about.

Arthur, owner of Ghost Inc. actually does demos with this connectors and stock Glock connectors by packing them with debris, mud to be exact if I’m remembering that correctly, and his connectors work and the stock Glock connectors fail. Not that our guns would be subjected to such abuse, it’s just good to know that the Ghost connectors go beyond.

I won’t repeat the shooting procedures here, they’re described in my other post entitled, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post865279

I installed the Rocket yesterday and it went well, but then, I have installed a few of them before. What is required is filing down the tab until the trigger breaks cleanly with no hesitation and then taking off just a tiny bit more. READ THE INSRUCTIONS.

If you plan to install one, get the half-size slide plate (I forget what that thing is technically called) from Ghost; this will help a lot. When you first install the connector, the tab will be too long. In fact, you need to shorten it until the connector tab that runs in the connector housing will drop down in the slot. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. When you reassemble the gun and rack the slide, the tab won’t let the trigger travel far enough to release the striker, hence you can’t remove the slide without removing the striker. That’s where the half-length slide plate can save some time. You simply reach in with a small screwdriver, I actually use a Glock pin tool for this, and press down on top of the connector and it will release the striker and you can disassemble the gun.

Plan on going slow, and you’ll likely have to file and fit about a dozen times or more to get it right. Another advantage of the half-length plate is you can see the trigger bar in relation to the sear on the striker. When it gets close to the release point you need to go really slow or you’ll take off more than necessary. Once the trigger bar engages the connector a tiny bit of filing goes a long way. However, if you should mess up the installation the first time, Arthur will replace it with a new one for free, no questions asked. That’s a one time deal.

I was going from a 5.0# Tactical Ghost connector to the Rocket (3.5#) so I didn’t realize as much of a change if my gun had been stock to start with. Of course the trigger pull is lighter, but the trigger over-travel and hence trigger reset is less than with a stock connector.

I will say this: If you install a 3.5# in a carry gun, and you shoot other Glocks, make them all the same. The reason is, there is a significant difference in trigger pull. If you get use to a 5# pull, the 3.5# may fire quicker than you think. E.g. I had a couple of shots in a string that were a little pre-mature simply because I was use to the 5# connector. The same thing happens when I go from a DA/SA to a 1911. I get a few, intentional, but a bit pre-mature shots until I adapt some to the trigger. Once you adapt to the 3.5 connector, you shouldn’t have that problem. But if you switch back and forth between a 5# and 3.5# you probably will.

Make no mistake; I am not talking about an unintentional discharge, I’m talking about a shot going off a bit sooner than you expected with perhaps an attendant poorer hit.

Anyway, the Rocket connector is ‘soft’. I do believe I made better one-hand shots using it than I do with the 5# connector. But, there’s no guarantee that you will. Due to the way connectors are designed and made, all 3.5# connectors introduce a bit longer trigger pull and a bit longer reset than a 5# connector. It may be that you find the short, slightly crisper pull of the 5# more accurate. I’m pretty sure I find the softer, lighter, 3.5# connectors more accurate.

Also, one range trip and 100 rounds is not nearly enough to evaluate the Rocket, so I'll probably update this thread from time to time. I'll likely swap back to the Tactical for comparison. But so far it's lookin' good.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

i use a 3.5# on all my Glock just for the reasons you mentioned. Consistency between guns. I also use the Rocket on my IDPA gun. I've thought about putting the rocket in all my Glocks just to make sure everything is the same.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Administrator
    Thanks for the review, I was kicking around the idea of trying one out myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    So far, I'm favorably impressed. It's too soon to draw conclusions, so I'll give myself some time to acclimate to the Rocket and reinstall the Tactical for comparison.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Nice review. I have the Rocket installed in a G17 as well. Everything you stated is exactly what I would have said.

I love mine. I have over 4k rounds thru it in 6 months and no problems at all. I once did a test to see how long it would run before it jammed, so I didn't clean it till it stopped running. I made it to over 2500 rounds before I got a failure to fire, I think there was just too much gunk in and around the firing pin and I got a soft hit on the primer, it happened twice out of my last 100 rounds. I then cleaned the gun, and it was off and running again.

On a side note, I don't use that Glock as a carry weapon because of the Rocket, since it is not a factory piece, but that's just me.

SY

Administrator
    Nicely informative Tangle.

Old threat I know, but whats the difference between the Ghost 3.5, and the Ghost Rocket 3.5?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Old threat I know, but whats the difference between the Ghost 3.5, and the Ghost Rocket 3.5?
    The Rocket has the trigger stop tab that must be fit, and you need a bit of skill to do it correctly. It's not hard, but it takes time. The plain Ghost is a drop in part.

Some people feel the tight fit of the Rocket can cause a failure if dirt gets in between the connector and trigger bar. I gun Ghost connectors in all my Glocks, it is a superior product.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links