Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight

This is a discussion on Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had tried an XS Big Dot Sight years ago and wasn’t that impressed with it, but I wanted to give it another try, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight

Senior Moderator

Range Report: XS Big Dot Sight

I had tried an XS Big Dot Sight years ago and wasn’t that impressed with it, but I wanted to give it another try, so I installed a set on my G17.

This first time, I just wanted to just shoot with the sight in some of my static drills to see how they compared accuracy-wise to my regular sights. Sooo, the first thing I did was set up a reverse B-27 at 10 feet. I know that’s really, really close, but I’ve found that I can see the details on the target really well and I can get a really good sight picture and the hits should be in one single hole, slightly larger than the caliber.

I skewed the test before I ever fired a shot with three cups of coffee and I could feel the caffeine slightly – I should have known better, but the damage was already done and I wanted to shoot, so I proceeded. I loaded five shots in a mag, fired them and then loaded five into a second and fired those five; so, basically, ten cold shots with a new sight. There was a ragged hole, clearly not as tight as I would have expected, but still pretty respectful. I muffed one of the ten and it landed about an inch from the group of nine. Being the first ten shots and not having a good idea of how the sight picture should look, I was very pleased.

BTW, installed the sights at home, made sure the front sight was aligned with the bore, sometimes the front sight doesn’t perfectly fit the cut in the slide and the sight can twist slightly when you tighten it. It too me three tries to get it right. I visually centered the rear sights; that took about 4 tries. I used blue Permatex thread locker instead of the red permanent Sur-lock that came with the sight. The sights were perfectly aligned and I didn’t have to make a single adjustment.

Now I was excited to see how the sight would do on the torso size dingers 65 yards down range. I’m guessing that the dingers are about 20” wide and about 28” tall, but shaped somewhat like an IDPA cardboard target. Again, I loaded five rounds and fired at a moderate speed – about a shot every 2 – 2.5 seconds. I got five dings. I excitedly loaded another five and fired them. I missed one, but I had gone into the “this is too easy” mode and got humbled a bit. I fired another volley of five and got five hits. I went back to the paper for a couple of volleys, but my heart was already on shooting the dingers.

I shot one handed and missed 3 out of 5, so I had to slow down a bit to recover from recoil and I did better.

Well, I am very pleased with the sights. It is absolutely amazing how fast they are. Because others were at the range, I didn’t do any draw and fires, but via dry firing, I found that the eye picks up that big ol’ sight really quickly. It surprised (pleasantly, of course) a bit how fast the sights were on the dingers. I think there’s several things going on that make the sights fast. One, as mentioned, the front sight is easy to see. On the dingers, it was really easy to see ‘center’. Second, I think there’s some eye magic – really – the kind of ‘magic’ that makes ghost sights work so well – the eyes ability to center or in this case perhaps equalize alignment.

The rear sight is a very shallow ‘V’ and that seems to enable the eye to naturally and perhaps subliminally align the front sight with the rear. I distinctly remember the front sight picture on the dingers, but I don’t remember anything about the rear sight. In contrast, with a standard blade and notch sight, the front sight has to be centered in a notch that barely allows light between the sides of the front sight and hence it is more difficult and slower to align, But, There’s a reason the top competitors haven’t flocked to XS sights and I don’t know what the reason is, but I suspect they can shoot better with standard type sights although most seem to use a narrower front blade or a wider rear notch.

After 100 rounds, I am excited and can’t wait until Tuesday for my next range session. One trip simply isn’t enough to evaluate the sight. Plus, before you rush out and buy a set of these, you should read my other post,

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...different.html

There was more going on than just the sight.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the review Tangle. Your opinion is surley respected. I've been eyeballing a CD Hi-Power that comes with these sights and wondered if they were any good.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

hmm...the link you posted doesn't work for me.

That aside, I'm glad you like the sights...I've been using them for about 2 years now and have been extremely happy with them (I've got them on both of my Glocks, and my AK). They are plenty accurate, and the increase in the speed with which you can deliver sighted fire to a target is awesome.
    I had the opportunity to use them in a FOF class in July and feel that this is where they really shine.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the input Ken; that's encouraging. I fixed the link.

Edit:
    Ahhh, shoot - I forgot to say I think you summed it up nicely Ken - this is exactly what I'm expecting to find:

"...They are plenty accurate, and the increase in the speed with which you can deliver sighted fire to a target is awesome.
    I had the opportunity to use them in a FOF class in July and feel that this is where they really shine."

At my age, I finally had to stop blaming the front sight for being fuzzy and I too installed the X/S Big Dot on my Glock 27. There is a great little video on YouTube on the X/S installation on a Glock. Bottom line it was fast and easy. Next day on the range, I admit I was a bit skeptical, but I was truly impressed with the product.

I'm a reall believer on the X/S sights.

Senior Moderator
    I'm beginning to think The XS Big Dot is one of those 'best kept secrets'. I'm looking forward to shooting tomorrow for a second look at it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I like the look of these, but one thing I'm worried about is size. I have read a few claims that the front sight sticks up too far and may get snagged during draw or simply not fit. What has been your experience with this?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have the XS standard dot and use it on my IDPA gun. I have never had the gun hang coming out of the holster. The big dot, while, well, big, is not so very much bigger than the standard dot to seem to make a difference in this regard. Also, it is nicely rounded on the top, being a circle, so there are no sharp points to snag leather.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    ...Also, it is nicely rounded on the top, being a circle, so there are no sharp points to snag leather.
    I haven't had the opportunity to do draw and fires yet, but tomorrow is getting closer all the time! I suppose it's possible that some holsters could have a problem with higher sights but while a little bigger looks big, it doesn't seem to be so much bigger that snagging is a problem.

I think there's something to the round profile that helps the eye center the sight rapidly. I'm not sure, but it sure seemed like it to me. I think another thing that makes the sight look big to the eye is that very little of it is covered by the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I like the look of these, but one thing I'm worried about is size. I have read a few claims that the front sight sticks up too far and may get snagged during draw or simply not fit. What has been your experience with this?
    I've either used or tried several different holsters (Sparks, Tucker, Blade-tech, High Noon, Raven, Uncle Mikes) and have had zero problems with any of them. Beyond that, I know guys who use Comp-tac, Cross Breed, Kramer, Fist, and a few others. None of them report any problems.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My Kimber just got a new set of Big Dots! I am now a fan!!
    There just so easy to pick up!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I've either used or tried several different holsters (Sparks, Tucker, Blade-tech, High Noon, Raven, Uncle Mikes) and have had zero problems with any of them. Beyond that, I know guys who use Comp-tac, Cross Breed, Kramer, Fist, and a few others. None of them report any problems.
    Great, thanks. Now all I need is some spare cash and my glock will get a nice little mod :-)

I run Big Dots on my G27. The best sights I have ever used. They easily fit into the majority of holster sight tracks.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have a CD Hi-Power that came with the XS Big Dot sight and I have found that I do like it. I am thinking about putting them on one of my 1911’s as well.

I wish "they" would let me use these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links